PDA

View Full Version : Did you watch, did you watch??!! The Amazing Race I mean.

papal
07-07-2004, 12:27 AM
SO, is your adrenalin pumping! I love this show! I wish i could be ON the show.. so fun!
Here are my initial thoughts:
1. I really liked the Bowling Moms, the Dad and Daughter. I sort of liked the Baltimore Cousins and the Mom-Dad-Entrepreneurs.
2. Umm... do these people not READ the freakin' clues? Do they not watch previous shows and see the mistakes previous contestants have made???
OPPOSITE THE BLUE AND WHITE HOTEL PEOPLE!!!!
3. Why does everybody always RUN like that.. you know you are just going to meet up at the airport/ferry/bus anyway right? A few seconds won't kill ya... maybe that is just the adrenalin though.
4. The one thing that REALLY bothers me on this show is how RUDE most of the contestants are in foreign countries... i mean.. do you really need to YELL at the taxi/ferry guy.. be respectful people...yes, it is a race but your manners, behaviour are also out there for public scrutiny.. also, it is just darn right disrespectful.

I have many more thoughts, but let me mull over them some more. :)
Ahhh... what will next week bring?!

Buffys Mommy
07-07-2004, 01:18 AM
>3. Why does everybody always RUN like that.. you know you are
>just going to meet up at the airport/ferry/bus anyway right? A
>few seconds won't kill ya... maybe that is just the adrenalin
>though.
>4. The one thing that REALLY bothers me on this show is how
>RUDE most of the contestants are in foreign countries... i
>mean.. do you really need to YELL at the taxi/ferry guy.. be
>respectful people...yes, it is a race but your manners,
>behaviour are also out there for public scrutiny.. also, it is
>just darn right disrespectful.

Laughing at #3. DH said the same thing. And I hate to say it, but you are both right. They do a great job of containing teams and not allowing them to get too far ahead.

And have to agree with you on #4. Every episode has had most of the contestants yelling at the transportation people. Like that's going to get you there faster.

I was so excited to see it I watched the East Coast feed - we're in California. It's definitely one of my favorite shows. I liked thd Dad but not his daughter so much. No one else has truly jumped out at me yet. I felt bad for the team that was eliminated - since his being "nice" probably cost them the race.

Sarah 10/13/03

sweetbasil
07-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Loved it, loved it! I hope every week will have a 90 minute episode...is that new to this season?

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-07-2004, 09:24 AM
AHHHHHH I loved it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what I hate and cringe and have since day one of Season 1 is that they tear off those strips of te envelopes on their "clues" and just throw them to the ground, with no hesitation (I know someone from the show will pick them up but still)...

OK my favs...I have several

1. The married parents-they are so upbeat and so cute together
2. The twins-I like them, they also are the only contestants ever that I didn't notice them litter their envelope strip.
3. The widows who are now love birds

The Baltimore twins absolutely EXHAUST ME...they're little hearts are going a mile a minute and they are just so stressed...they are ADORABLE though and have so much entertainment to offer with their "no one helps us...we are on our own...we always have been...it's just you and me...."-they are a hoot!!!!! But whew...they exhaust me just watching them.

It appears this season is different in that they tell them the flights ect...in previous they had to find the flights on their own, this one seems more "contained"....

LOVE the show...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

papal
07-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Which one were the married parents Neve??? Not the bowling moms right??

And i agree, the Baltimore Two (i did not realize they were twins! how cute!!!) are exhausting and a HOOT to watch.... good for them!! I hope they go far in the race.

Also, hopefully they now realize that just because it is the first flight to LEAVE, does not mean it is the first flight to arrive!!

AND, what ticked me off was.. they were going to be on that ISLAND all night... what was the BIG FAT hurry to get the 9.0am ferry ticket??? Why could they not have seen each and every ticket for the 8.0am one?? The worst that could happen was they would get the 9.0am one right? Phew.. so exhausting!!! If i was in the race, i would just be running around in circles, screaming my head off.

mharling
07-07-2004, 10:38 AM
I really liked the bowling moms, father/daughter, widower lovebirds and the brothers from Texas.

I agree about the rudeness. I wanted to scream everytime that one woman yelled 'Pronto, Por Favor, Please!'. That's the one thing that also bugged me about Chip & Reichen from last season.

The 'Yield' is new, isn't it? That should add some good twists later on.

I love this show! Can't wait for more.

Mary
Lane 4/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-07-2004, 10:42 AM
I think the Baltimore gals are cousins...the twins are the cute blonde gals, that look kind of sporty and outdoorsy.

The married parents are the African-American couple (I hate that terms my friend us eto say "I'm not African-American I'm from France"...but they are the black complexion couple. They're my favs and I hated to see them pitted against the twins in the last few minutes due to their mistakes...glad they BOTH got to stay in.

Ya know as I watch it I keep thinking why didn't they pick out cute outfits to wear????? The twins did but really no one else did...
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

papal
07-07-2004, 10:54 AM
>>Ya know as I watch it I keep thinking why didn't they pick out cute outfits to wear????? >>The twins did but really no one else did...

heehee.. good point!! The Bowling Moms were wearing tees that said 'Bowling' and 'Moms'.. that was kind of cute (except when they had to fall into the swimming pool...oh oh.. can we say WET T-SHIRT CONTEST!).

Maybe they have to wash their outfits in the hotel rooms so they dry overnight? So maybe they are told to keep it simple? Not sure that ABC would pay for the super-fast-express-cleaning service provided by the hotels...heehee.

sweetbasil
07-07-2004, 11:40 AM
>heehee.. good point!! The Bowling Moms were wearing tees that
>said 'Bowling' and 'Moms'.. that was kind of cute (except when
>they had to fall into the swimming pool...oh oh.. can we say
>WET T-SHIRT CONTEST!).

After they zipped into the pool, one of them said that people watching would be thinking "they're just moms- how far are they going to get?!" or something like that. I looked at DH and said, "No, we're thinking, 'Please just wear the red t-shirts from now on, especially when water is involved!'" ;)

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-07-2004, 12:05 PM
But Reichen and Chip always looked iron...and remember the double mint twins...they were always crisp ironed little shirts :)...
It has made me wonder.

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

amp
07-07-2004, 12:09 PM
I was also laughing when one of them said to the taxi driver, "Ondalay!" I have no in depth knowlege of foreign languages, but the only person I've ever heard use that term was Speedy Gonzalaz! DH and I were trying to figure out if it was really a word, or whether the people there were thinking, "Damn Americans!" :o

papal
07-07-2004, 12:36 PM
true that.. while the others were sleeping, perhaps these two pairs had whipped out their portable ironing boards and irons? heehee... yes, but they were always well dressed, chip and dale. maybe they coughed up the $$$$ for the express cleaning service.

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-07-2004, 01:00 PM
I'm chuckling...because remember that couple that was separated the she was certainly a "b" but her ex who was her partner was a NUT!!!!! they came in second...but his ugliness actually effected him in the last hour here in the states...

He was so ugly to a guy at the airport he couldn't get a cab...
they clearly would have won if he was nicer....

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

jec2
07-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Love the bowling moms too! And, heck, can't the twins read? They might be on the same page, but it't the WRONG page! LOL! I missed how the Army dad cut up his knee but gosh, 25 stitches? How did he have time to get it stitched? I'm glad they made it to the next leg. Getting booted would have just added insult to injury.

papal
07-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Juliet, in the very first mad dash to get the clue, he tripped and fell on a nail on the boardwalk! ouch! The paramedics at LAX said he needed to get stitches so they went to an ER nearby and he got 25 stitches! What a brave man!

brubeck
07-07-2004, 07:16 PM
I agree that they don't normally need to run or rush but you never know. Sometimes rushing can make the difference between being first or second to perform a task, and when there's a line to the finish....

Neve they usually give them the acceptable flights to take on the first leg only. After that they have to figure it out themselves. the only caveats are that if they have to fly they must fly (no trains, buses, boats, etc.) and they must PAY for economy class. They can get upgraded to business or first class but they can only pay for economy tickets. Other than that they are usually given carte blanche at the airports (much to the downfall of some teams.... see the third place finishers last season).

Usually the people eliminated in the first half of the race are the ones who are slow, stupid or don't read clues properly. I agree that by now everyone who competes should have watched at least one season and understand the importance of reading clues.

The yield is definitely new. I think it will really come into play when there are 2 teams at the end and the second last one slows down the last team. Is this replacing the Fast Forward? I noticed that there wasn't one last night.

FYI, I read an article with the Phil-iminator and he said that this edition of AR will be about 70,000 miles, which is the same as circling the Earth 3 times.

babymama
07-07-2004, 07:43 PM
I can't believe that I missed it!!!!!!!
DH and I have been talking about this since the Superbowl (wasn't that when they first announced the new season?). Can't believe we missed it - saw from your posts that we missed a *90 minute* episode. I can't believe it. Total bummer. I've gotta re-read your posts and go to the cbs website to get all caught up.

Fave team from past - the Latino gay guys, can't remember their names
(remember the chubbier one got mud on his "glitter shirt" during a challenge?), they were funny
The Love-to-hate-em team - that divorced/separated couple that had lived in Thailand and were so mean to each other, the woman ended up hooking up with a guy from another team.

BTW - I think what DH and I love the most about this show is that it makes us feel good about our relationship when we see these people fighting and saying awful things to people they love. It's like, "well, we've got our issues, but damn at least we're not like them".

Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

slknight
07-07-2004, 10:08 PM
I am so totally bummed I missed it too! I've been thinking about it for the past month, and then I missed it.

But it looks like it is going to be on again on Saturday night. Woo-hoo! I've got my TIVO season pass set up now. :)

mharling
07-07-2004, 10:52 PM
I do remember that. That guy was a total jerk! I guess you need to find a good balance of niceness without being too nice.

Mary
Lane 4/03

mharling
07-07-2004, 10:54 PM
He barely had time to get them stitched. I was going to be bummed if they didn't make the flight, but they did. I couldn't believe that his daughter made them do the 'Zips' though instead of the 'Chips'. I like him; not so sure about her yet.

Mary
Lane 4/03

Sarah1
07-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Never seen this show until now, but it was pretty exciting to watch! The part in the airport actually stressed ME out, LOL :)

At the beginning I thought the "bowling moms" were major goofballs. But I like them now.

Love the two cousins. I loved when the one was like, "let's play blackjack! c'mon we'll double down!" That was too funny.

My least favorite team is probably the two brothers who own the pizza place. They just seem like chauvinistic jerks to me.

votre_ami03
07-08-2004, 11:58 AM
Liked the Bowling Mom's, the married couple (African Amer.) & the Dad & daughter duo. What a trooper the dad was! Didn't like that the daughter wasn't willing to be helpful though to the other teams. Don't want to burn bridges this early.

Not crazy about the one cousin, not Sharla, the M, can't think of her name. She was whiny!

Can't stand Alison. Didn't like her on Big Brother & don't like her now. She is nasty to Donny! Move on dude!

I love this show & the Mole too!

Anyone see on Discovery channel that the two Frat bros from the last AR have their own show? I really liked those two goof balls!

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

DebbieJ
07-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Love love LOVE this show!

I can't stand Allison already, especially given the teaser for next week's show. I love the bowling moms. Totally crazy/goofy. And the cousins? A total hoot! The "little person" one (can't keep their names straight) cracked me up so much, especially when they had to carry the beef.

It will be interesting to see how this new yield thing works out. It could make or break a team in the final rounds, you know?

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03

babymama
07-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Wooohooo!
I saw your post and then went to the CBS website. Yipppeee! The rebroadcast is Saturday at 8PM Eastern Time. Yay!

Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03