PDA

View Full Version : Any great face sunscreen out there for babies/toddlers?

mary b
07-07-2004, 02:57 PM
OK,

there HAS to be a better sunscreen than the babies 45 that has gotten in Noe's eyes now 3 times this summer!!! She is EXTREMELY fairskinned, so if I don't put it right on her face by her eyes, she burns really bad but of course, she keeps rubbing her eyes and getting in her eyes.

help!
TIA
mary

caleymama
07-07-2004, 03:48 PM
This isn't specifically for faces, but we've used the Coppertone Spectra 3 SPF 50 in the pink bottle without incident. It's all I've used on DD (both last summer and this summer) and it has never bothered her eyes. DD has swam in it and it hasn't "run" and she plays outside and sweats in it frequently and it doesn't bother her then either. HTH!

marinkitty
07-07-2004, 03:51 PM
I used the California Baby Unscented SPF 30 our whole trip in Portugal and even though she rubbed her eyes it never seemed to bug her. And her skin did fine with it and everything makes her rash, so I was very pleased (we tried the babies 45 earlier and it was a disaster, and even the Neutrogena sensitive skin didn't work well for her).

HTH!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

dotgirl
07-07-2004, 03:57 PM
We use plain old Coppertone on our DS's body/arms/legs/whatever, but for his hands (since he rubs his eyes) and his face, we use Kiehl's SPF 45. It's fragrance-free, and he's never had any problem with it. (He rubbed Coppertone in his eye once and cried for almost an hour because it hurt him so much.) I know that the Kiehl's is pricier than a drugstore brand, but since we only use a tiny bit at a time, it lasts a while. And it's worth it to make sure he doesn't get any hurty things in his eyes.

Another thing we do is try to sunscreen him at a point when he won't be rubbing his eyes, or keep his hands occupied for a few minutes while it "dries". That seems to help.

mary b
07-07-2004, 04:40 PM
thanks Penny. Is it this one you use?http://www.kiehls.com/?p=380&sc=541&st=&cc=10 (the vital sun protention 40?-- $18.50 for a 4 oz bottle?
thanks!
Mary

Jeanne
07-07-2004, 04:53 PM
This just happened to us this past weekend as the beach Mary! And I was just thinking about posting the same question!

mary b
07-07-2004, 05:05 PM
That's too funnny Jeanne (although I know the situation isn't funny!!) Are you and I living a double life??

Today at swim lessons was the most traumatic by far! Can't wait to try some of these alternatives!

BTW, totally off topic, but what are you doing for your Charlotte and Claire's birthdays A combined party or seperate? We are probably going to do a joint but I want to make it special for both of them! Any cool toys/gifts you've spotted for Claire? SOrry, this is WAY OT, I have been meaning to email you.

Thanks,
Mary

gour0
07-07-2004, 09:29 PM
This is what I use for Ben and we haven't had any problem.

http://tinyurl.com/2uyl9

I had to have CVS order it for me beacause I couldn't find it anywhere, but they had it in 24 hours at the same price quoted online without any shipping tacked on.

nicoleandjackson
07-07-2004, 11:14 PM
I've found that the Baby Blanket brand works for Jack (SPF 45). They make a stick for faces that goes on like a great big lip balm and stays put. Doesn't budge even when he does rub his eyes. I've found it at Babies 'R' Us and at some grocery stores...

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

christic
07-07-2004, 11:57 PM
I've always just used my own facial moisturizer w/sunscreen on my daughter. J&J's Purpose works great and is unscented, very mild, and relatively inexpensive. It's only spf 15, but has worked fine even on her very very fair skin.

sntm
07-08-2004, 11:28 AM
I was talking with our DCP (who sunscreens up all the babies before they go outside) and she says that she prefers the kinds in the stick for babies who rub their faces. Mustela, Coppertone, whichever. They tend to be harder to put on and therefore harder to rub around. I don't know how they feel if baby does rub it into his/her eyes, though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Jeanne
07-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Mary,
I emailed you.