PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with old toys/baby gear?

McQ
07-08-2004, 12:47 PM
I must have mounds of stuff that I never/no longer use or that Declan never took to. I'm a big purger/can't stand clutter but have no idea the best way to get rid of some of this stuff. Most of the stuff is too good to throw out (and I hate being wasteful anyway) and sure I'd like to get some money for it if I could. Is a yard sale the way to go? If it is, we really don't have those in my neighborhood. Does stuff really sell at consignment shops? I would put some stuff out on the swap, but can't imagine people would want to pay for shipping.

I'm talking about things like the peek-a-blocks activity wagon, discovery ball, sorting blocks/wagon etc for right now but down the road I'll be wanting to get rid of my swing, rocker and other gear.

So how do you clean out? And how do you price things?

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

candybomiller
07-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Ebay baby!

Or I take it to a consignment store. Get a lot more $$ on ebay though.

DebbieJ
07-08-2004, 02:00 PM
you can also try Craig's List if there's one for your city.

www.craigslist.org

I sold our infant car seat that way and got good money for it too. The woman came to my house and picked it up and gave me cash money baby!

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03

C99
07-08-2004, 02:19 PM
You can also try Freecycle.org, although that would be giving things away instead of selling them.

starrynight
07-08-2004, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't part with anything you are sure you won't want with your next baby. Anything you know you just want gone I agree with ebay- peek a blocks sell pretty well on there- or a consignment shop. Or you could put an ad in the paper.

I did a combination of things, whatever was still standing after 3 kids ;) went to ebay first, what wasn't good enough for ebaby went to consignment first and whatever was left went to goodwill and a yardsale.

cinrein
07-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Allison,

Just wanted to add that baby number 2 may be totally different and love the things that Declan hated. If you can absolutely stand it, I'd probably hang on to it to make sure nobody likes them, especially if you end up not getting much for the stuff.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

daisymommy
07-08-2004, 02:41 PM
I agree with Cindy. Keep whatever you can. You should see my basement, attic, garage, etc.! I figure you'll only get 50% at the most for what you paid for the stuff brand new, and then with baby #2 you'll have to pay full price again. That's expensive! i only get rid of stuff that's in bad condition or totally worn out. Any clothes that still look good, I store in plastic Rubbermaid totes. Any nice toys I clean up and store in boxes, labeled with an approximate age range. I'm hoping to spend considerable less with the next baby, unless it's a girl and I can't contain myself from going hog-wild shopping for clothes ;)

LucyG
07-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Allison,

I just posted a smilar question the the Around the House forum (before I saw yours), so you might check in there to see if I get any different responses. My question was only about toys, but it was very similar to yours.

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-08-2004, 03:22 PM
I haven't read any responses so I am certain you've already gotten great advice. Too bad you don't live in my neighborhood in OCT they do a HUGE neighborhood sale and it is incredible...you are more than welcome to come down and set up shop in front of our home...we've never particpated in selling for we are off buying!!!!!

But I knew this would be an issue for us so I was very careful about it.
I borrowed (they were offered)
* swing
* walker

I did not buy a typical baby highchair, and really didn't need anything until our Kettler wooden chair arrived recently.

We have a large round basket filled with toddler manipulatives, it is a rather large basket, but it is attractive, and tilts (round at the bottom) and it is filled with those kind of toys that are typical for the first year. Oddly he is not pulling those out more than ever even though they are for younger kids typically.

All of Tristan's toys are not really age appropropriate...they are not choking hazards...but an example is his grocery store filled with "fake food" he doesn't use it as a grocery store but he does play with the items. I though ahead so not to waste money and clutter.

No leap frog table here
No tiny tike items

Don't get me wrong we have TONS...but this room I suspect will have the same items in it in 7 years...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Karenn
07-08-2004, 04:02 PM
I've taken things to a resale shop. The one I go to is a little different from a consignment shop in that the owner buys my stuff when I bring it in. I don't have to wait to see if it sells or not, she just gives me cash or store credit up front. Occassionally she won't take certain items that I bring in (it always surprises me which ones!) but she takes most of it. It's nice because I can easily get rid of stuff, and not have to mess with the hassle of selling it myself.

Most things that she doesn't take we donate to Goodwill. That way, we can at least get the tax write off, and the knowledge that someone will get some use out of what we won't use. (However when she didn't take my barely used Striderites, I saved them to give to a friend that I knew could appreciate them!)

redhookmom
07-08-2004, 04:24 PM
I am a freak when it comes to clutter so I don't have the patience to wait to host a yard sale. Our highchair and changing table are sitting in our garage right now driving me CRAZY. I posted them on freecycle and nobody has wanted them yet.

I give my stuff to friends and shelters.

JLiebCamm
07-08-2004, 10:30 PM
My local newspaper has a "Bargain Counter" section in the classifieds where you can list anything under $99 for free. Name brand things sell well here (Little Tykes, Graco, Fisher Price, etc.)

doubleL
07-09-2004, 12:23 AM
I give almost everything to our housekeeper. She claims I've clothed half of Honduras. Seriously though, she seems genuinely appreciative and that means a lot to me. Some stuff I offer to members of my local moms club.

I tried consigning at

Dani's Duds. Only open two times a year in Sept and March. Which is a bummer when you really feel the need to purge. Half the original selling price is recommended, but you price it yourself-- which I like. But you tag it yourself too and that takes time.

Paddington Station in Vienna, VA. They tag and price it (without rhyme or reason to me).

I just didn't get any satisfaction out of those checks. I would ask if your nanny is interested. Also, perhaps your local BBBers :)

suribear
07-09-2004, 03:10 AM
I donate them to women's shelters.
ETA: If you want to keep large items, wrap it in a large plastic bag (the kind that covers large boxed items, like vacuum cleaners, and put it in the garage. Rest can be put into plastic containers and stored.

Kris

McQ
07-09-2004, 10:12 AM
I am so intimidated by eBay! I've never bought or sold anything there and it seems like you need to be in the know to do so. Like there are a bunch of unwritten rules or something. And if you don't know them, you'll be slammed as a bad buyer/seller.

I like the thought though. So maybe one of these days I'll dig through all the eBay tips threads and see how to get started. Some times it blows my mind what people buy - but I guess it's true about one man's trash being another's treasure. Thanks!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04