PDA

View Full Version : hand, foot and mouth question...

Hallie_D
07-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Tuesday night I noticed blisters on ds' bottom, hands, and feet. I immediately suspected coxsackie and once he was in bed, I read through a bunch of previous posts here about it. Yesterday his pediatrician confirmed it. Luckily for him, it is a mild case--he never even had a fever.

Here is my question: moms who also got sick when your child had HF&M, what were your symptoms? I am especially concerned because I am 13+ weeks pregnant. I woke up this morning with a slightly sore throat and general achy feeling, but that could be because I didn't sleep well and because I'm nervous about getting sick. DS' pediatrician said that OBs tend to be much more alarmist than pediatricians, but that "nobody really knows how many miscarriages are caused by coxsackie, but probably not too many." I did not find that comforting at all. I did put a call in to my midwife first thing this morning, but haven't heard back. Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA,

bethwl
07-08-2004, 04:32 PM
My daughter had this in May and I thought I might have experienced symptons as well. However, it's hard to sort it all out because I also had mastistis about the same day I noticed dd had a fever and about two days before the blisters appeared. But two days after her blisters appeared, I got a sore throat and had a strange white ulcer in the back of my throat. When the sore throat started I thought I might be getting it, too, but the blisters never appeared. Then the sore throat went away within a day. Because I was on antibiotics for the mastitis, I knew it wouldn't be something bacterial, but then it was gone so fast, I pretty much forgot about it. I guess this doesn't help you much. But unless you get the blisters, I would doubt that's what it is. I'm sure your midwife will call and ease your worries.

Kieransmom
07-08-2004, 05:07 PM
I would definately call your OB. I had a really bad sore throat when DS had HFM. I was running a higher temp than DS. It took us both 2 weeks to recover. I just wouldn't take any chances. It could be nothing but better to speak with your OB to confirm.

Karenn
07-09-2004, 02:14 AM
Hallie,
Did you hear anything from your midwife? I know nothing about coxsackie, but I've been thinking about you.

Hallie_D
07-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice and information. My midwife did finally get back to me and was far less concerned than the pediatrician. She said it is mostly a pediatric illness and there was an excellent chance I wouldn't come down with anything even though I had clearly been exposed. She suggested I watch for symptoms and call if there was any change. So far, so good!

Thanks again!