PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What is your favorite parenting/baby book?

khakismom
07-08-2004, 01:30 PM
I am just really curious about your favorite parenting books because I have never read any of the parenting books that are so popular on this board. Not a one. This includes the below, plus "Super Baby Food" (Yaron), "Baby Whisperer" (Hogg), "Sleeping Thru the Night" (MIndell), "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" (Ferber), or "1-2-3 Magic" (Phelan).

The only books I have are the first year and toddler version of the "What to Expect" books (which were a gift and are more for reference).

So am I an anomaly here?

(Of course, I know your first choice is really "Baby Bargains" ;).)

starrynight
07-08-2004, 02:14 PM
It is being weird and won't let me vote, it says I already voted. I would have voted Other/None because I also have never read any of the books mentioned here. I have glanced at Dr. Sears site once in awhile but I found he switches sides sometimes.

I don't really read parenting books, I kinda wing it and hope for the best ;). I really don't feel the need to read most of those books because I don't believe in sleep training etc. As for baby food, most of it I either just tossed in the blender and bought jarred, didnt' think I needed a book on it.

So nope you're not an anomaly :D.

daisymommy
07-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Waaah! I want to vote more than once!

Dr Sears Baby Book: I'm on my second copy because I read the first one to death, highlighted, dog eared pages, and eventually had the cover falling off--and that was all in the first year! It's been my "Baby Bible" :)

No Cry Sleep Solution: is what got Joshua to finally sleep through the night, in his own crib, at 10 months old...without tears.

Happiest Baby on the Block: Was a major saving grace during Joshua's 4 months of colic. I wouldn't be alive today without this book (okay, I would, but I'd be in an insane asylum! ;)).

chlobo
07-08-2004, 02:22 PM
I'm beginning to sour on parenting books. One book says one thing. Another book says something else. Its enough to drive a person crazy. Especially an insecure first time parent.

candybomiller
07-08-2004, 03:15 PM
1-2-3 Magic! I love this book. Of course, I run into some situations where I don't know what to do, but for the most part, this books has helped to save my sanity.

californiamom
07-08-2004, 03:24 PM
I don't buy too many parenting books either... They have a gazillion pieces of advice that many times are conflicting!

But I have one golden recommendation from my beloved (late) mom. She was a Psychiatrist and Psychoanalyst and she read the Tavistock Clinic collection on baby/child development years and years ago when she was going to Med school. But these books were written for the common person (not doctors) and they are very easy to read. She saved the books for me and my sister and we treasure them to death. What I love about these books is that they don't tell you what to do. They simply explain the various development phases a baby/child goes through so it enables you to make the best decisions based on what YOU believe is best.

The Tavistock Clinic is based in London and is one of the most respected places in the world for children development/psychology.

The collection is called "Understanding your child": http://www.karnacbooks.com/seriesinfo.php?SID=17

It goes from infants through adolescents. This is an excellent collection IMHO and a treasure from my mom that I wanted to share with you.

They are VERY hard to find as they've been out of print for a while in the US, so if you find a copy, grab it fast! ;-)

HTH!

Ana

peasprout
07-08-2004, 03:56 PM
I've read half the books here but the thing that annoys me is how redundant they are. I feel like I'm in kindergarten when they repeat the same idea ten different times with ten different examples illustrating the same single idea! It's like they're stretching it just to fill up a book. I guess they have to since most of what they're saying to do can be summarized in one chapter!

JP- mommy to Ally & Zach
(11/02 & 4/04)

flagger
07-08-2004, 04:15 PM
I couldn't vote twice. The only one in your list that was our favourite was "Healthy Sleep, Happy Child".

The only other parenting book we use is the Holy Bible. Other than that we really don't have the time to read other parenting books. Just about all of our parenting habits comes from instinct.

redhookmom
07-08-2004, 04:20 PM
My curent favs are "You Are Your Child's First Teacher," and "Natural Childhood."

lisams
07-08-2004, 05:12 PM
"The Happiest Baby on the Block" was a lifesaver for us!

I've been reading "Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline: The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict into Cooperation" by Becky A. Bailey. It's a wonderful eye-opener to who you are as a parent, and how you view misbehaviors. It just seems more respectful than a lot of other books on discipline.

Really disliked al of the "What to Expect...." books.

Lisa

khakismom
07-08-2004, 06:22 PM
>Really disliked all of the "What to Expect...." books.

They're not the best, but I usually end up skimming through them--mainly now just for the milestones.

But I was really curious about all the book titles bandied around here, because it seems like I might be the only one that doesn't read parenting books. I've always just done it by instinct--or by the seat of my pants :D. I suppose if I hit a snag or had a major hurdle to overcome (such as sleeping or eating or biting), then I would consult some books. But for now, I guess not. Hmmmmm...

Grace_underfire
07-08-2004, 07:14 PM
I like Healthy sleep habits and the Dr. Sears books the best.
:) Agree with hating the what to expect series.

JenCA
07-08-2004, 07:27 PM
I voted other/none, because I haven't read any of these books, either. In general, I don't read parenting books. I have a couple of books that I use as references (What to Expect the First Year and the American Academy of Pediatrics book, Caring for your child from birth-age 5), and that's it. I do a lot of online research, read magazine articles, ask friends/family for advice, and go by my instincts. :)

Dscvrlifewith3
07-08-2004, 08:48 PM
I voted for Dr. Sears. I adore his books and give them often as a gift when my friends are pregnant. I think they are good middle of the road books for those that are really into AP but do not want to go all the way crunchy.

Melanie
07-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Dr. Sears and the the "No Cry" is a close 2nd.

egoldber
07-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Well from this list, I would have to vote for none. Even though I like some (but not all) of the books, none of them are what I would consider a comprehensive parenting book. Most of these are focused on a particular aspect of parenting, like feeding, sleep or discipline.

The ones I would have to say have been that for me are The First Three Years of Life (by Burton White) and the What to Expect series. I know a lot of people don't like them, but they work for me. (Have read Sears, don't care for the style of his books. They are too soft for me and I tend to prefer books that get to the meat without any added fluff. JMO. I have no issues with most of what he says.)

And I guess I am something of a parenting book junkie. I read them all, even the ones I don't think I will agree with. For me, I don't so much see the inconsistencies when I read them, as the similarities. When ALL the books agree on things (and generally they mostly do agree), then I figure it is advice worth following. When there are a lot of inconsistencies between the books, that tells me there is no professional consensus on a topic and therefore I don't worry so much about it.

And I guess I am this way about most things in life, not just parenting. :) When I approach a new endeavor, I read everything I can get my hands on about a topic and sift through the info. But I am a researcher at heart and I enjoy it.

californiagirl
07-08-2004, 09:19 PM
"Becoming the Parent You Want to Be" really speaks to me, and it believes in a pretty wide variety of approaches. Don't like "What to Expect" or Dr. Sears much. I'm still looking for a development book I really like (one that talks about the order they learn things, not how to be a parent). I got a copy of the Princeton clinic's guide to the first year out of the library, and it's just horrible. It's wrong about child language development, it's way wrong about breastfeeding, and it assumes only mothers could possibly be reading it, it was just one howl of outrage after another.

Mom2Miri
07-08-2004, 09:20 PM
That's exactly how I am about things but I too am a researcher at heart.

I read a lot more when she was younger. Who has time to read now?! I've started to pick up books and have my DH read them on the plane as a shortcut. Haven't loved any one book so far. Magic 1-2-3 is our next purchase.

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

twizzli
07-08-2004, 09:40 PM
I like Dr. Brazelton, he's sometimes outdated, but I really enjoy the developmental stuff.

mamicka
07-08-2004, 11:15 PM
The Focus on the Family Complete Book of Baby and Child Care
by Paul C. Reisser

It's a really thorough reference-type book, not really parenting but super-helpful. Easy to use as well, much better than the AAP book, IMO.

ginalc
07-08-2004, 11:34 PM
"Honey For a Child's Heart: The Imaginative Use of Books in Family Life" by Gladys Hunt is what I'm reading now.

The book suggests that it's easy enough to provide the "milk" for children like tooth brushing, food, etc., but the "honey" is what many parents miss out on. "Honey" symbolizes the sweetness in life and provides nurturing and guidance for the soul.

Found it in the Children/Parenting section of the library and it offers suggestions on how to choose books for your child's library from birth through age 14, as well as recommending books to create a library of your own. I got the book to find a good summer reading list for my 13 yr. old but found I could have used this information when she was much younger.

Good topic! :)

gina, mom to 3

new_mommy25
07-09-2004, 02:03 AM
I have DR. Sears "Your baby from birth to age 3" or something like that. Honestly, I use it ALL the time. If I am ever unsure about a rash, starting solids, fever, biting and hitting, anything I check the book. It is amazing. I had the What to Expect the First year but she really turned me off with her anti-babywearing comments.

quikeye
07-09-2004, 05:29 AM
Aside from Sears' baby book (voted on above)-- one book that wasn't necessarily a parenting book but I found really key so far was "What's Going on in There?" by Lise Eliot-- she's a neurobiologist (I think) who discusses the way the brain grows and matures over the 1st 5 years of life-- why it was so important to me was because she explains in biological terms how the brain develops (and how it responds to stimuli, and how important certain stimuli are, and what the best windows of opportunity are for stimulation...) I don't really follow the book religiously as far as suggestions of times/types of stimulation, but it made me much more aware of how important every interaction (social, physical, etc.) is on the growing brain -- emphasized thru actual scientific research and not just some nebulous *stimulate your kid* advice with no science behind it.

I also found the book extremely helpful during Kai's 1st few weeks (aka, Kai's terror campaign)-- where he was a sad, sad baby who needed to be held all of the time. The book helped me convince dh that K couldn't be spoiled yet since he couldn't reason like that yet because his brain wasn't capable of it yet... it helped soften the blow and take the edge off of him (and me, secretly) thinking K was just *demanding* and we were *spoiling* him...

I will say it's not a book to read when baby's 1st born, but before they are! I couldn't have read it after he arrived (no time! too much to absorb!) but I had a lot of passages highlighted that were easy for me to return to after he was born.