PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for travel with baby

DebbieJ
07-08-2004, 02:24 PM
We're flying from Los Angeles to Chicago to visit family in two weeks and I'm starting to stress about what I need to bring!

My DS will be 7 1/2 months old. We have a seat for him and are bringing the Marathon. I tried to convince DH to buy a smaller, lighter seat for the trip, but he wasn't into it. DS loves his Marathon, so it's coming with us.

We're not sure about bringing the stroller, but then I'm not sure how we'll lug that big carseat through the airport without it. DH wants to rely on slings for baby transport during our whole visit.

I'm also thinking I should pack some Tylenol, Motrin, and Benadryl for the little one just in case. Probably should get some anti-bac wipes or something too.

Any other tips? Things I should pack? This is our first big trip, so I'm clueless!

TIA!

edited to clarify: We're leaving in two weeks, the trip itself if for six days.

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03

Momof3Labs
07-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Definitely bring a stroller - it is the easiest way to get through the airport, IMO. And makes life MUCH easier if you end up with a delay of any sorts. Plus, two weeks is a long time to go without a stroller if you are used to using one, and slings can be hot in the summer if you are outside.

I'd recommend packing either Motrin or Tylenol, but you probably don't need both. And I'm not sure why you would need Benadryl for the airplane trip unless you've had to use it before. There are plenty of stores (a Walgreens on every corner...) in the Chicago area if you need anything. I brought some Huggies disposable changing pads on our recent trip, and was glad to be able to leave airport changing table germs behind. A little bottle of Purell is handy in case the soap dispensers are empty. If you have a pacifier baby, bring a few extras and a paci clip, if you have one. I also brought a thermometer, just in case, and because it was easy to pack. I brought one days' worth of dipes and wipes and bought the rest at our destination. I'd suggest packing sunscreen so you aren't driving everywhere to find your favorite brand.

deborah_r
07-08-2004, 05:51 PM
I was not sure about the stroller either, but I brought it specifically for getting around the airport with the carseat (and it was just me and DS). I only used the stroller 2x on my visit, and could have done without it, but it was worth it to get around in the airport. There is also a carry-bag for the Marathon, I believe, but I know nothing about it, or how well it works, or how much it costs.

Things that pop to the top of my head are an extra oufit in your carry-on in case he has an accident. Toys/books for entertaining on the plane. Snacks and drinks/bottles of course. Pacifier if your DS uses one.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope you have an excellent trip!

Tondi G
07-08-2004, 10:10 PM
You will be fine! I think taking the Marathon is the right idea.. even though it is big and heavy... you know your son is comfortable in it and it is his "normal" seat!

I would go ahead and bring some Motrin/Tylenol with you... if you have benadryl bring it... if not then don't worry about buying some just for the trip. You are going to Chicago... not a random country that you are not sure would have Bendryl and the local drug store!!!

Things to pack... some board books, maybe some stacking cups, any little small toys that your DS likes to play with. Bring some baby food along with you that DS is used to.... be sure to give him a bottle or paci (or BF) when you take off and land so it won't effect his ears! Bring snacks and water for YOU! bring a change of clothes for DS and maybe for you too(ya never know when baby is gonna puke or have a blowout on mommy!)

I would bring a stroller... even if you go and buy one of those cheap 20 dollar umbrella strollers I would bring one along! We love having our pliko with us when we travel cause there will be times when you are out and DS falls asleep and it is so much easier to just put him in the stroller to sleep then to carry him around in the sling (the whole time!). His schedule/time clock might be off and he may sleep at times when it would be convenient for you to be able to put him down.... thinking out in a restraunt with family?!?! My DS so used to and comfortable in his Pliko.... it reclines so he can sleep even if we are out and about etc..... I wouldn't leave home with out it!

Are you bringing a Pack and Play for DS to sleep in or do you co-sleep? If you hadn't thought about that and don't want to bring it along maybe there is someone in your family out there that has one they can loan you for your trip! It also serves as a good safe place to be able to put DS down in a house that might not be baby proofed!

Keep in mind you can always buy anything you might forget... don't stress and have a wonderful trip!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

sadie427
07-08-2004, 10:21 PM
So far we have never used a stroller in the airport, just a sling or bjorn and then a backpack carrier on the latest trip. Even alone, I carried him in a sling or bjorn w/ the diaper bag over the shoulder and the carseat in one hand. I was glad not to have it in the airport, too much of a hassle, and I don't trust the airline to gate-check my Macclaren and not mess it up. We did check the stroller in a big duffle bag, but on the last trip we just used the backpack or sling and only used the stroller once. It depends on what you are used to at home. The stroller is nice if you expect to be out of the house at his naptime though.

Gayletmomto4
07-08-2004, 10:44 PM
I second the vote for a change of clothes for your little guy plus one for you. It seems like my babes always have a blowout on the way to the airport, LOL! I take a shirt for me b/c I have had unpleasant experiences with spit-up and leaky diapers.

I always take a few plastic bags for dirty diapers in case I have to carry them with me until I get to a trash can (I save the bags from my newspaper). They are also good to put a smelly dipe in if you are in a hotel room.

Also, new toys that aren't too loud, a bib and snacks and a a bottle of water for you.

Have fun!

diekatze
07-09-2004, 01:00 AM
I did same thing with my DS when he was 6 1/2 months old. Well, Long Beach(JetBlue) to NYC. Didn't bring the stroller thought it was such a hassel... Guess what we had to buy one to come back. The airport didn't let me use the airport cart after certain point!!! I had to carry baby carseat with baby in it, and all my luggage!!!

I asked for some help, their response was rather bad... Some staff ended up helping me since I looked almost in tears!!!!

SO, TAKE YOUR STROLLER!!!!

Also I took "Little Leapad" to the airplane even though it was bit big....but it really did help my DS alot through the long, boring 5.5 hours... Whenever he was ready to cry, I push the "on" button, he calmed down and was so into it.... When we arrived in JFK, NYC, people were saying how good my DS was... Some didn't even know he was there...

Another thing, when plane take off and landing, nurse him or give water, any kind of liquid so that his ears won't feel funny. I heard that drives baby crazy...

hez
07-09-2004, 08:58 AM
I agree with some of the OP's on bringing the stroller to the airport. To eliminate my fear of something happening to the 'good' stroller, we just brought a plain old umbrella stroller & checked it at the airplane. My BIL had a better stroller from when my nephews were little, so we just used that at Disney. Otherwise DS was stroller-free on vacation.

Also second the idea of bringing a bottle or a paci for takeoff. On our first takeoff DS was drinking a bottle. On our second he was sleeping (heaven). There were other babes on the planes who were in obvious discomfort.

If you take toys, try to take the kind that attach to links so you can hold on to the end. There's a golf ball at the back of a plane somewhere from our last flight!

Otherwise, we packed too much. We stayed with my aunt & uncle, and they had toys, we did laundry there one day, and they also had bowls/spoons for feeding. Check ahead for those kinds of items and it'll limit the load!

houseof3boys
07-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Bring the stroller! I didn't even use the stroller on the trip but to naviagate through an airport it is invaluable. When I flew out of Atlanta (very busy airport), the security check line was 2 hours and with a stroller you can go to another entrance for wheelchairs and strollers and it only took 20 minutes that way. I felt like a celebrity and didn't miss my flight since I never expected the regular line to be that long. You just check the stroller when you board the plane so it is not a hassle at all and it really is easier to go through the airport while holding your bags and trying to find where you are going while dealing with holding a 7.5 month old!

Everyone already mentioned the other things, hand wipes or purell are a must!

Have a great trip. :)