PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me that it's a bad idea to cut corners on this project!

JLiebCamm
07-08-2004, 10:46 PM
We're in the process of finishing our basement, which is a walkout type with very high ceilings so it essentially feels like another floor of the house. We had a contractor give us an estimate that we could live with. But as the project has gone through its various stages, we've found ourselves upgrading from the builder's grade options, including the ceiling, the lighting fixtures, and the new window. My DH decided to cut costs by finishing the drywall himself and believe me, he has repeatedly regretted not having it done professionally. So now we're down to the carpet and built in bookshelves/entertainment center and finding ourselves wanting to upgrade again. If we don't go with the contract allowance we're going to spend a few more thousand dollars and take our savings lower than we had planned (but still allowing some emergency reserve). It's getting very tempting to just live with the contracted amount and settle for the cheaper carpet and shelves. But I have a feeling I'll regret this later on. Can anyone who has been there give me words of wisdom??? Either tell me how glad you are that you upgraded despite the cost or tell me why you think it's a better plan to to stay within the alotted amounts. I know I've already formed my opinions, but I would feel better hearing from people who have been in my shoes. Thanks!

candybomiller
07-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Is this your dream house? The house you plan to stay in forever and ever and ever? Or is it just a stepping stone?

If it's your dream house, go all out. If you only plan on being there for a few years, don't bother.

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-09-2004, 08:09 AM
I think you'll regret later...just speaking of experience. I so wish we bit the bullet along the way for several things. Granted our home is filled with upgrades...but it is so much cheaper to do it right the first time...
Just my opinion since you asked...
It all sounds wonderful!!!!!!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

cinrein
07-09-2004, 10:12 AM
We went with upgrades on things that would be very difficult to redo later. For example, I don't think you would rip out built in bookcases to put better quality ones in later, so I'd upgrade those now.

Carpet is tricky. How are you using the room? If it's going to be primarily a playroom for kids, I'd stay with the cheap carpet with the expectation of replacing it all in the future. If you don't plan on replacing it sooner than later or if the room will get heavy use, then I think I'd upgrade. IMO, there is a world of difference between cheaper carpets and pad and more expensive. Maybe visit a carpet showroom to see the difference?

Cindy and Anna February 2003

khakismom
07-09-2004, 02:01 PM
We too just finished our walkout basement a year ago (while I was on maternity leave). We went over budget on everything--our basement has better stuff than the rest of the house (more tile, better toilet, shower, and carpet)! LOL!

Carpet, to me, is not something I am willing to go cheap on. We have cheap carpet upstairs and it will be ripped out and replaced very soon. Also, when we were house-hunting, I *always* checked out the carpet, because replacing it is a major expense. We chose not to bid on at least 2 houses because the carpet needed replacing. So when we did the basement, we got a very high-quality carpet and the thickest pad they had.

Shelves and built-ins, to me, are something you could go cheaper on. Because you place something on a shelf and it sits. Whereas carpet gets abused and stepped on. Our shelves and built-in entertainment cabinet are built with MDF. Much cheaper than wood and lasts longer too. And no one knows the difference.

As for staying on the builder's/contractor's budget, those always seem to be ridiculously low. They don't give you enough budget to do anything decently IMO. I am always of the opinion to do it right the first time, the way you want to the first time. Just my small $.02. :)

Good luck and I'm sure it will turn out beautifully!

JLiebCamm
07-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Thanks for your responses. I think I've known that I was just going to pay a bit more, but it feels better to have people tell you that you are doing the right thing. We plan to use the space as our primary family room and will probably spend a lot of time there, so I know it's best to go with what I really want. I doubt that we'll move in the next 5-10 years, so I'm going to get my money's worth out of the space. The carpet will most likely sustain some spills, but I'm hoping that a better quality will clean up more easily. I could never pick all this stuff in an entire house; I don't know how new home builders do it!