PDA

View Full Version : TTC while bf?

kaitlinsmommy
07-08-2004, 11:28 PM
We are ttc & I was wondering if anyone has been able to get pg while still nursing quite a bit. DD nurses 3-4x during the day and often briefly at night too. I am starting to wean but was wondering what my chances might be of conceiving before we're finished nursing.

TIA.

August Mom
07-08-2004, 11:52 PM
I don't know about TTC while BFing, but I do know several people who weren't TTC but got pregnant while BFing. My SIL, for example, has kids that are 13 months apart. She exclusively BFed and at the point she got pregnant was still breastfeeding every few hours. So, it can definitely happen (and that was before she had gotten a period).

houseof3boys
07-09-2004, 10:25 AM
It is definitely possible! A friend of mine had challenges for years TTC and while still actively nursing (6 or 7 times a day/night) her 11 month old got pregnant.

Good luck! :)

starrynight
07-09-2004, 10:44 AM
I know a few people that got pregnant by surprise while breastfeeding, one who had fertility problems getting pregnant with her first child but surprise came along while she was still nursing her son. It does happen so I'm sure if you were trying it could happen before you totally wean your dd.

kaitlinsmommy
07-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks all. This is giving me hope.

beckyr88
07-09-2004, 12:33 PM
It can definitely happen! I was still nursing DD 4-5 times during the day and at least a few times each night when we conceived. She was about 15 months old.

I did wean when I found out I was pg (over several weeks), I was just scared that it would hurt a lot, and I was pretty ready to wean.

Best of luck to you! Sending baby-vibes your way!

cara1
07-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Yep, we were TTC while nursing DS (23 mos) and I got preggo! Actually, I was a few weeks/months along when my mother was still saying (she didn't know yet), "You're STILL nursing him? I thought you were trying to get pregnant!" HA!

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
07-09-2004, 03:00 PM
My OB/GYN wanted me to wait to have 2 normal periods before ttc#2. At 1 year (nursing 4/day), my period still hasn't come back yet. It looks like for me, it's not coming back until I wean.

You may want to check with your OB/GYN before ttc, just to be safe. :)

heidis2girls
07-09-2004, 04:39 PM
My DD was 8 months old and I was still exclusively breastfeeding when I got pregnant. I had gotten my period back when she was 3 months old and we were TTC. My OB's office said it was fine to be pregnant and breastfeeding but that I would probably be very, very tired from it all!

My DD stopped nursing just a few days after I found out I was pregnant. Apparently the pregnancy hormones change the taste of the breast milk and she didn't like it at all!

Good luck!

kaitlinsmommy
07-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks again. This is good news to hear from y'all. I got my period back when dd was 8 months but I read somewhere that nursing can prevent ovulation even if you you are having a period. I hope it doesn't take too long.

Oh, and I did talk to my ob & she is fine with me nursing while pg, although I hope to wean soon.

cara1
07-09-2004, 07:25 PM
I didn't get my period back until 13 or 14 months, so you may not have to wean.

entttc
07-11-2004, 11:28 PM
We're trying. . . but DD is only 11 weeks old, so it may not happen soon. AF has not returned.

jerseygirl07067
07-12-2004, 12:39 AM
Did your SIL continue breastfeeding thoughout her pregancy? We will be ttc soon as I did get the ol' AF back a month ago. I am really enjoying nursing and hope I can continue into my pregnancy, but I have read that the taste changes and also supply drops quite a bit in the second trimester.

Marcy

C99
07-12-2004, 02:54 AM
I didn't get my period back until 13-months post-partum. I was still nursing 4x day until Nate was about 14-months-old.

Imperia
07-12-2004, 08:27 AM
The Lactation ammenorreah method of birth control is pretty much only affective for the first 6 months or so if you are nursing. And the fewer nursing sessions you have the more likely you ar eto be ovulating. It's true that it can prevent ovualtion even if your period has returned it doesn't always. Plenty of people get PG while nursing, even in the beginning (my mother did!)

Have you considered either taking OPKs or temperature charting to see if you are indeed ovulating? Those might give you an idea about where things are...

Imperia