PDA

View Full Version : flying with a car seat but without a seat

billysmommy
07-09-2004, 08:26 AM
I am looking for advice from other moms (and dads) who have flown without buying a seat for their DS/DD. We are bringing the car seat in hopes there is a seat available, everyone I have talked to at the airline has said that for the past month or so this particular flight has only been about 75% full so we decided to take our chances.
However we would like advice from those of you who have flown without a seat in case there is not one available. Did you find it okay to be holding your child the whole time, how did they handle being held the whole time, were they able to sleep while being held? DS will be 14.5 months old. Our flight leaves at 7 am and will be about 3.5-4 hours. We have a 1 hour layover and then a short 30 minute flight. We are going to get some small new toys for the plane, any good ideas?

MartiesMom2B
07-09-2004, 08:48 AM
I've flown with DD twice without a carseat. Both trips were about an hour and she was younger than one. I'm making the same flight next month and I purchased her a carseat this time. I just don't know how I'll be able to hold her all the way if she wanted to escape.

She did sleep most of the way on our flights. I let her run around and explore in the airport to kind of tire her out. I gave her children's tylenol during take off too.

On this upcoming trip, I'm planning on getting her a travel magna doodle, some Wiggles figurines, and some books to occupy her on the plane.

Good luck with your trip!
Sonia http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character03.gif
Proud Mommy to Martie

kfcboston
07-09-2004, 09:44 AM
We actually just got back from an even longer trip (a 5-hour leg, and a one-hour leg each way) and didn't buy DS a seat. However, there were seats available for him and he spent almost the entire time in his car seat (although he didn't sleep!! grrrr) He did sit in my lap for a bit and read, however he was quick to squirm onto the floor. He loved standing at our feet, although he liked trying to roam the aisle even better.

He's flown twice without his own purchased seat but there's always been a seat available for him. However, at this point in his development, I don't think I'll fly again without buying for him. The prospect of not having a seat for him is just too stressful for my personal make-up because he is so big (size of a 26M child) and soooo mobile.

HTH!