PDA

View Full Version : NEW CHARITY POLL!!!! PLEASE CHOOSE BETWEEN THESE TWO!

rrosen
07-09-2004, 10:58 AM
We really do want this to be a community decision. Since the March of Dimes had the majority vote on the other poll, we will vote between giving the money to Samuel's family or to the March of Dimes.

Please vote!

Marisa6826
07-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Can we get this pinned to the top???

-m

amp
07-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Thank you for reconsidering.

rrosen
07-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Marisa- Are Denise and Alan the only ones who can do this. Can one of our Mods?

jk3
07-09-2004, 11:42 AM
The March of Dimes is a fabulous charity. It's one of the few I actually donate to a few times a year. However, I think it would make a stronger imact to donate to a family. I would feel great knowing that we were easing some of the burden. Even if it turns out not to be a ton of money, it seems that the family would be appreciative of the effort + caring behind the donation.

Jenn
DS 6/03

Marisa6826
07-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Bec-

I think Rachel and Lori can do it too.

-m

khakismom
07-09-2004, 01:47 PM
bump.

kthomp
07-09-2004, 01:53 PM
Would someone who is up on the Sam situation be willing to write a detailed post about him?

I personally know very little about him. So, I wouldn't be voting for his option. Maybe others feel this way, too.

So maybe it would help if someone could give us a summary of his story and his connection to the board. A link to his website should be included, but I bet a lot of people don't have the time to read a whole website.

This would probably get Sam a lot more votes. Is anyone willing to do this?

McQ
07-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Samuel was diagnosed with Leukemia back in April - right before his second birthday. He's been through many operations since - has lost his colon (and I think a few other things) from the chemo and has had shunts put in many places. At times it seems so touch and go, but the little fighter seems to pull through - only to meet the next challenge. The doctor's didn't seem to be on top of things at their local hospital and he has now been moved to Children's in Seattle. The family has gone out there with them.

Jen's a WAHM and has made slings and diapers for many of us. She's out of work now tending to Samuel every day. I don't know her husband's work situation (leave etc) but he has been with Samuel or the other children it seems daily. Their 3 other children are 7 and 5 years (I think) plus a little girl born in February.

Jen's been keeping a weblog to keep us posted and there's also updates on the Mom & Me yahoo group. Here's a link to the webpage: http://www.mom-and-me-creations.com/Samuel.html

I do think March of Dimes is a great charity. I supported them earlier this year by doing the WalkAmerica and raised a good amount of money for them. So that is a good option too. But seeing Samuel's face in his pictures (both the happy and sick ones) makes this so real to me. And I think about this little boy every day. I can't imagine if it were my child. It's truly heartbreaking.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

rrosen
07-09-2004, 03:21 PM
A Big Thank You to the nice person who pinned this to the top!

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-09-2004, 03:39 PM
I hadn't even clicked on this thread till just now and didn't know what it was about....

I just voted and chose Samual hands down. Not to bash "administrative fees" but ladies if we give to Sam and Jen that money will 100% go to it intended purpose, it will not be paying for stamps, envolopes, electricity and staff. Again no knocking all of that for it is necessary for places to operate. But the money will go to a member of this community and to a member of atleast other communities that we are in!!!!

I would LOVE to see this family embraced in such an effort!!!!!

I am ashamed of myself for not seeing this great gesture!!!!
What a great community here on the BBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and kudos to the gals who have put their time into this!!!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

billysmommy
07-09-2004, 04:55 PM
I love the idea of giving the money to Samuel's family. I really like the idea of being able to picture who the money went to and is helping.

calebsmama03
07-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Tough choice, as I'm really committed to the MOD, but I agree with Neve. This way it all goes 100% to the "cause".
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

candybomiller
07-09-2004, 07:11 PM
I really want to thank the people who set this up for listening to the community. You guys rock! I'm definitely more apt to buy knowing that the money is going to Sam. That baby breaks my heart.

Momof3Labs
07-09-2004, 09:23 PM
I'm touched to see so much support for Jen and Samuel. I've known Jen for well over a year, since her business was quite young, and consider her a friend. It is so tough on a family to have a sick child, emotionally and financially, and while we can't help a lot with the emotional part, I hope that we can help a little with the financial side of things.

barbarhow
07-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Thank you so much for reconsidering. It is such a wonderful thing to know we can really help someone. Even if it is just a little.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

Gayletmomto4
07-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks for doing this. What a wonderful use of our BBB community!

blnony
07-09-2004, 11:10 PM
I agree Neve.
I would love to help Jenn and Samuel. Jenn is a wonderful lady and I can't imagine what they're going through. I would love to be able to help out a fellow member of these boards in this way.

jasabo
07-10-2004, 12:24 AM
I definitely vote for Samuel's family. I've been keeping up with his story, and check the website often for updates. I sent them a small donation a few weeks ago, but would certainly donate again in this arena. I think it's a very worthy cause and would feel good knowing that the money is going directly into the hands of the family that needs it. I feel so badly for them, and all little ones who suffer such serious illnesses - it's just so heartbreaking.

Anyway, so my vote is for Samuel.

Lisa - mom to 1 yr old twin boys

kthomp
07-10-2004, 04:41 PM
After reading up a little, I too agree that this is where the proceeds belong. I hope they can make a difference for this poor family.

tippy
07-11-2004, 03:00 AM
Thank you Kerri for putting this out there. I'm so glad everyone who has posted here agrees that helping Sammuel and his family is the way to go! I know I was being a nudge on some of the other threads about this and I'm sorry but I just couldn't help myself. I knew if more people realized what this family was going through they would probably want to contribute to them. Apparently Jen's insurance is covering the hotel they are in for the next week but after that I would imagine it will be coming out of their own pocket so I'm sure our contributions will be a great help. Thank you again to all who agree!

jamsmu
07-11-2004, 05:44 PM
I've been really out of the loop for about 2 weeks as my computer is broken. Could someone please explain the charity program you're talking about? Why are we doing it? Will we give as a group?

Thanks!!

kthomp
07-11-2004, 05:54 PM
Julie, we are planning on having a custom lapel pin made for the members of the board.

This thread is about where the profits from the pin will go.

Melanie
07-12-2004, 04:17 AM
Thank you for this poll, I would much rather donate to Samuel's Family.

kransden
07-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Everytime I think of Samuel it brings tears to my eyes. His family could be anyone of us. One day you have a happy healthy 2 yr old, and then the next day your whole life is turned upside down. It just makes me more thankful for what I have.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

deborah_r
07-12-2004, 05:03 PM
I, too, have only been peeking in at threads here and there lately, as I just seem to be very busy, and I hadn't gotten involved in the other polls. I am so glad to see this option for giving the money to Samuel, Jenn, and family. I would be so proud to be a part of this gift to them.

MamaKath
07-12-2004, 11:54 PM
I am just checking in too. Glad to see the poll, and what the charity will be. I will be looking forward to purchasing pins. My prayers are with Samuel and his family!