PDA

View Full Version : How many children does your home daycare provider keep?

LucyG
07-09-2004, 01:33 PM
Our beloved sitter has had to stop caring for children for personal reasons, so I'm beginning the process of searching for a new provider. I know what our state's guidelines are as far as how many children a provider can keep, but my comfort level does not always agree with the state guidelines. Also, I know it depends on the ages of the kids, and the hours they are there, as well as space, etc. My DD only attends daycare PT. I'm curious to know how many children your home daycare providers care for. Please share any feedback on this that you might have. Thanks!

missym
07-09-2004, 02:04 PM
I also work part-time, so Gwen's at the sitter about 5 hours/day during the week.

Our sitter watches about 6 other kids on a regular basis, plus another 2 or 3 about half the time, and occasionally others. At first, I thought this might be too many, but she seems to handle it beautifully. She does usually have a helper around mealtimes, which I'm sure is a blessing. I can really tell a difference when she's not there and one of her "substitutes" is watching the kids!

I think it's good socializing for Gwen, since she doesn't get to be around other kids much outside of daycare. I'm actually happier than when she was at a sitter with only two other kids. Of course, the more kids, the more germs they pass around!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

candybomiller
07-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Right now Matt is with 4 other children. I much prefer the smaller kid to provider ratio.

hez
07-09-2004, 04:40 PM
My sitter cannot keep more than 6 children at a time, and no more than 2 under 2 per whatever the state (or county?) guidelines are. DS is there 4 days a week, there are three others currently-- one ~10 weeks, one just over 2, and one about 4. Before the new baby arrived our sitter was full with a 3, 4 & 6 year old, but those three have moved out of the area this summer. I kind of like it better now-- DS has had to learn he's not the complete center of attention anymore with the new baby, but he's still getting about as much attention as he was before because there are fewer kids.

However, another part of me wants there to be two more kids at the sitters' because I don't want her to have to worry about income. Does that make sense?

Good luck on the search. I know how stressful it can be, and what a (WIDE) range of in-home daycare providers there is.

Edited to correct cruddy grammar.

LucyG
07-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Thanks to all who replied to my post! I hope to start interviewing some sitters this week, and it's good to have some info. to draw on. Our former sitter kept 4.5 toddlers (my DD being the half-time attender), and we loved that number. I'm afraid we won't find anyone with that small of a group again, but here's hoping. We are going to be extremely picky. Again, thanks!

stillplayswithbarbies
07-11-2004, 10:13 PM
the most she has ever had is Logan, two 2 year olds, and a newborn.

Now it is just Logan and one 2.5 year old, and a newborn who is there sometimes. (baby sister of the 2.5 year old)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03