PDA

View Full Version : I'm baaaaaaack...thank heaven!

jd11365
07-09-2004, 10:45 PM
After being on "vacation" for over two weeks, I'm finally home...aaahhh. Kayla and I spent a week w/ my mom in NY/NJ, then my DH drove up to spend a few days including the 4th...we all drove to western PA (aka The Middle of Nowhere) where we stayed until today when he drove home and Kayla and I flew.

NY was great except for one run in with a jerk of a police officer who saw me going the slowest of the fast IYKWIM. We were coming from Woodbury Commons (Premier Outlet Stores) on a road that changes from Highway to town road rather quickly. Kayla was exhausted (no nap) and screaming (not unusual in a car...she hates the car) and I just wanted to get her home. Technically we were doing 59 in a 35 (though Tuxedo, NY for any locals ot there), but I assure you I was definitely not going exceptionally fast for that strip of road. He took 15 minutes to write me up...hearing Kayla crying...and wrote me for the full ticket...I'm sure no thanks to my mom's '04 BMW w/ out of state plates. Here's the great part...they won't tell me how much it is until I send it in and plead guilty or not guilty. He said if I go in front of the judge in a couple of months and keep a clean record (which I already have thank you) he might lessen it, so I'm going to try and make it for when I'm back up again in a couple of months. Nice...I see a $300 ticket and increased insurance in my future...

I did have a great time though...for those of you who live in the city or nearby, you should definitely check out the Children's Museum...you could play all day! And in keeping with our cheap fancy lunches, we went to Tavern on The Green for the $20.12 lunch this time...very lovely, and you get much more food than at Jean George...you don't leave hungry. We did the Central Park petting zoo...but Kayla kept trying to eat the goat food, and Kayla got her first real shoes (adorable little Stride Rites or as DH calls them "her nursing shoes") because she is walking!!! Or, should I say running?! She also had her first haircut (finally her mullet is gone) where she got a little "diploma" for the big event...very cute.

All was well from then until today...
DH left early on his drive home (4 am) and my flight wasn't until noon. So BIL was supposed to take me to the airport...2 hours away...and have a carseat in the back of his car which belonged to a cousin. Well, 5 minutes before they are to come pick me up from the airport, I get a call...the carseat won't fit in the back of the 2 door Mercury Cougar...I was told no problem because they had another on the way from another inlaw....only 10 minutes away...which turned into 30. Now I'm late and getting nervous that I will be late for my plane...they finally show up...with an infant car seat!!! A Cosco, 3pt harness INFANT carseat for my 14 month old daughter. I put her in it against my better judgement, only because I was now REALLY late, and actually it was rated for 22 lbs. (which is how much she weighs) and though it said 26", she actually had quite a bit of room above her head when she was in the seat and the seat was installed. My inlaws think I'm a freak/b*%ch anyway... Because I don't want them to smoke around Kayla, and I buy nice things for her and BF (especially past a year), and bought organic milk when I was there....but that's for another section at another time...

So I finally make it to the airport...running to my gate...the door closes without me! Thankfully, the girl came back and let Kayla and I on the plane and we were off. I call my dad who is picking us up to let us know the plane has landed and he's angry about circling the airport, telling me he's going to park...which would actually be a PIA for me...so I promise I'll be down in 10 minutes, not to park. In the rush, I left a bag w/ my brand new (not so cheap) bathing suit that I finally found after a looooong year long search for something acceptable AND my wallet on the plane in the overhead compartment! Neither have been found, and no one is so fast to help me either. The plane went to TX, CA, PA...it could take a few days for someone to actually locate it they told me...if I even do get it back at all. Great.

So here's the best part...after hours on the phone trying to locate my wallet and bathing suit, I go to check my huge stack of mail. What do I find? A bill for $3,800 for the CT scan Kayla had when she fell out of my friend's crib a few weeks ago...denied by my insurance with no clear explanation...and it's Friday at 5:06 pm when I finally got to that piece...6 minutes after the insurance company closed and now I have to wait until Monday...of course.

Well...I'm sooooooo glad to be home, even if it was a rough day. I'm really freaked about the $3,800 bill...so if you have any suggestions for that one, that would be great. I'm thinking they are going to say it was unnecessary or something, but I'm just speculating. How was I to know how expensive it would be and that it wouldn't be covered? Good grief. Please someone tell me there is a mistake.

Anyway, I missed you all terribly...no computers for over 2 weeks! Can you believe people like this still exist??? I have a lot of catching up to do...can't wait!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

papal
07-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Jamie!!!! So good to see you again!!! Sounds like you had quite the adventure in the last 2 weeks! The prix fixe lunch at TotG sounds great... i did not know they had a prix fix...yumm..
Sorry about the parking ticket..i wish the cop had let you off when he saw poor Kayla crying away... sorry about the new swimsuit... arrghh... so frustrating!!

About the CAT scan bill... DO not pay it.. once you pay, it is hard to fight for your money back... i hope someone has some good suggestions for you.. i don't know.. i have not used the ER before (knock on wood)... but that is a ridiculous sum to pay.

Anyway, we missed you girlie! Glad you have you back!!

amp
07-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Jamie - Welcome back girlie! Sorry for all the cruddy things you had/have to deal with. Just be glad you are home! We are!

MommytoDylan
07-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Jamie,

I did a lot of fighting with insurance companies the last couple years and did insurance billing for 10 years while in college and teaching. Please let me know if you need help and DON'T PAY the bill yet.

Good luck,
Meredith

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-09-2004, 11:16 PM
We've missed you and Kayla!!!!

I be the CR Scan is jsut that they didn't write a diagnosis code etc...call the source and make certain they fatten up the diagnosis to justify the CT SCAN...of course justified, but sometimes they error (most times) in taking the time to put the diagnosis code on the insurance claim.
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

JElaineB
07-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Jamie,

Glad you're back! Wow, sounds like you had quite a time on your trip! I hope they find your wallet and bathing suit! No advice on the CT scan bill but I hope you get that resolved! Hope you have a nice relaxing weekend!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

MelissaTC
07-10-2004, 12:31 AM
WOW! Sounds like you had an interesting trip!

I missed you on here. Glad you are back. :)

houseof3boys
07-10-2004, 10:15 AM
OMG, that sounds horrible Jamie. Compared to you, my trip to Florida was nothing to compain about and I should be grateful.

Insurance companies are a PITA so I know you'll get that worked out soon enough. It will be covered!!!

I hope that you recover soon and enjoy the comforts of home. :)

Marisa6826
07-10-2004, 12:16 PM
What an adventure!!!

I could have told you about the Tuxedo cops. They're pretty notorious. Sorry about that.

Hope they find your wallet more than anything else.

And that sucks about the insurance bill. Fight that one more than the traffic ticket!!!!! I've gotten bills like that in the past and sometimes you just need to resubmit them. Especially if it's Aetna.

Welcome home

-m

candybomiller
07-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Jamie,

Welcome back!!! We missed you. :)

Sounds like you had a heck of a trip. It's all over now, soon to be just a distant memory....

jec2
07-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Jamie,

we've missed you! glad your back and it sounds like, sans the few mis-haps, you had a nice getaway. Mee-ouch on the $3800 bill. I hope that you raise a racket with the insurance if need be. Think of all the dipes that $$ could buy!!!

ETA: ooops, didn't mean to reply to rashmi, just hit the wrong thread :)

deborah_r
07-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Welcome back, you've been missed! Sorry about your misadventures, but sounds like you had a good time overall.

jd11365
07-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Yeah, my mom mentioned Tuxedo cops after he pulled me over...thank you mom. And yes, we are Aetna. I am just sick over the whole thing...literally. But as DH says, what were we supposed to do? Turn down the CT scan for an infant who went pale and limp after hitting her head? That's nuts IMO. I would never have imagined it wouldn't have been covered, but DH says it wouldn't have mattered anyway because it needed to be done. $3,800 is ridiculous for someone to pay...especially if they supposedly have full coverage insurance with a major company.

As for the wallet, well, all I can do is hope for the best on that one...the airline is not very helpful. Glad to know they really check their planes over in this day and age...ahem, cough...that's a good feeling. And I feel like such a moron about it...I fly every couple/few months or so and can't believe I didn't check the overhead compartment...but normally I'm not rushing or have had such a miserable day prior. My next trip is to the retreat in Chicago, which I assure myself will be a much easier/calmer trip. :-)

I can't wait for my nicer and calmer life to kick back in now that we are home. For someone who likes to avoid drama, this has been quite a few days. I also know that this is all small potatoes compared to the problems of other people in the world, so I'm trying to keep that in mind. I'd much rather a happy and healthy baby and pay $4k to be assured of it than otherwise, but it all just stinks none the less...I will definitely fight this as far as I can and I'll let you all know...

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

jd11365
07-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks...we'll see how Monday goes...I will definitely keep you in mind if I run up against a wall.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Marisa6826
07-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Did you call and tell them that you took Kayla to the ER? I know that we're supposed to call with our plan and give them a heads up.

It's probably just a billing glitch. I received many full amount bills by mistake after delivering Sophie. The hospital is too freaking lazy to submit them to Aetna, then you get the full amount sent to you instead.

And the most disturbing part - Aetna will only pay the hospital a FRACTION of that $3800 and they have to accept it (whereas if you didn't have insurance, you'd be responsible for the full amount). They're not permitted to bill you for the balance.

-m

jd11365
07-10-2004, 08:45 PM
No I didn't call ahead because she was taken by ambulance. I have such a stomach ache over this...literally...I hate when this stuff happens on Friday afternoons and I have to wait out the weekend...always my luck. Thanks for the info though, I want to be prepared for my phone call on Monday.

Interesting info about the fraction vs whole payment issue...how sad is that! The whole procedure took 5 minutes...10 max, so where they even came up with $3,800 is beyond me to begin with...I was thinking maybe 1 or 2 thousand, but 4???

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

lrucci
07-14-2004, 03:40 AM
Jamie,

Welcome back!!! We just got back from NY - western NY _tonight after being gone for a week. I was also without a computer and it just about killed me!

Sorry to hear about your trip home and the medical bill. Have you talked to the insurance company yet? I had this happen to me while I was pregnant. I was out of town and had to go to an Urgent care facility. Initially, the insurance company denied the claim. When I called they said it was because I hadn't called before hand to let someone know I was going. Umm, sorry, but it was an "emergency" and it wasn't exactly on my list of priorities at that time. They resubmitted the claim, and it was covered. Hopefully, that will happen to you.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03

Sarah1
07-14-2004, 10:17 AM
WHEW! I'm exhausted after just reading your post! :P What a couple of weeks you have had!!!

I'd be amazed if your insurance doesn't cover at least some part of the CT scan. What a major PITA but I'm sure if you make a few calls you'll get it straightened out.

Glad you're back :)

jd11365
07-14-2004, 12:06 PM
I made a separate post on Monday when I finally made it to my * am phone call to the insurance company. It seems they have a deal with the hospital to only charge $600 for the whole service instead of $4,000. I am responsible for the $200 co-payment and the $3,800 is a wash. "Yes our forms are confusing, we are coming out with new ones to avoid such confusion." Well, that didn't help me stop freaking out all weekend, thank you, but at least I only owe $200.

On another note...on the lost bag/wallet front... I found the name of a "big wig" at Airtran and called the corporate office asking for him as if I belonged. I actually got connected to his assistant. Miraculously, after 4 days of leaving a message on their automated lost and found line I had people from every department at the airport calling me within minutes of my call to the assistant. And wouldn't you know it, my bag showed up 20 minutes later...hmmmmm. And there was a note that said "No money in wallet" which makes them think the wallet has been found and is in the main safe, but the guy with the key won't be in until today after 12 pm. (BTW I had over a hundred bucks in cash in the wallet...but hopefully at the least I have all my ID and gift cardst that were also inside.) Guess I had to go to the top...otherwise I got a crazy run around for 4 days in which no one seemed to really care. Oh, and she also said she wanted to comp my next flight for the lack of customer care I received, so I guess that will pay for part of the cash that is missing...

Thanks for your thoughts...it has been quite a time, but we are soooo happy to be home...and not owing $3,800...that was a huge relief. Now if I could just finish unpacking... :P

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Laurelsmom2002
07-14-2004, 01:19 PM
How sad I found out this story on line instead of just calling you but,guests are in shower, dd is napping so- heres a quickie
I was gonna call you and let you know nordstroms has a big sale on swimsuits- but we'll see if you still need one. Push for upgrade even w/ your free ticket- they will usually cave w/ airtran (if you speak w/ a supervisor.
Talk to you either sunday at anne's or sooner