PDA

View Full Version : Finally..handicapped parking observation

LD92599
07-10-2004, 10:46 PM
So tonight we're going into McDonald's for ice cream and a man pulls in behind me and proceeds to head the wrong way in the parking lot and parks in the handicapped spot. No special plates, no hang tag, etc.

10 minutes later we come out and there's a cop parked behind the guy. Could it be?!?!? He got a ticket! YEAH! Finally...cop in right place, right time. Boy, that Burger must've cost the guy big time! So the guy backs out of the spot..cop is still there...and proceeds to turn left out of the lot where there's tons of "no left turn" signs..fortunately the cop didn't notice that! Sheesh...didn't the guy learn the first time?

I hate, hate, hate when I see cars w/o hang tags/plates parked in those spots.

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

sweetbasil
07-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Yay, Laura. This is a real hot-spot for me, too. My SIL is handicapped and getting to know her and her daily trials opened up my eyes so much. I avoid handicapped restroom stalls and dressing rooms completely now so that they're available for those who might actually need them. Even if a handicapped person isn't around- they're reserved for them! I can't believe how many times has SIL gone into restrooms and all the single stalls are empty but the handicapped one is taken- by completely healthy people.

I've always tried to be sensitive to the needs of others, but somehow along the way I got a mindset of those larger stalls being the better ones and forgot the whole handicapped accessible part of it (prior to meeting SIL, that is!)- and it seems that I haven't been alone in that.

At Jamba Juice on Saturday morning, I saw a brand new Mercedes pull into the handicapped spot, and two (completely healthy) women around their late 20's got out and went in to Jamba Juice to order. They had no handicapped plates, placquard, or anything of the sort on their car, either. There was one other "front row" parking space that was just 3 down from their spot, and it was not handicapped. I really wanted to say something like, "You've obviously never been handicapped before, because if you had been you'd know the value of the spot you just took" but decided to keep it to myself. Two years ago when I broke my ankle, it was nearly impossible to do anything with my 18mo old and handicapped parking spots saved us many times. Arrrggghhh to them.

Melanie
07-12-2004, 04:24 AM
Alright!

I once saw a car parked in the wheelchair access section of a handicap spot (that was occupied)! I was so mad, we called the sheriff. What if the person needed their access space? Of course the offending car was a Hum-V with a dealer plate, too, so I doubt they got ticketed.

McQ
07-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Love it! I hate when jerks park in handicapped spots when they don't need it. I also hate the people that park on the curb while they "run in for something quick". We're all in the same boat buddy so find a spot and park it.

The other day I was driving a coworker back to the office and when I pulled into the parking lot I drove by the handicapped spots and pulled into one at the end. And he said "I'm surprised you don't have handicapped tag". WTF! I'm pregnant, not handicap you butthead. Some people!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

papal
07-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Yay! So glad the cop was there at the right time!!

I never even took those Pregnant Mom spots at the grocery store when I was pregnant.. i always thought that there could be someone MORE pregnant than me.. you know... like with twins or something... and it was not that big a deal to park two spots away.. some people are so freakin inconsiderate of others.

mommd
07-12-2004, 12:36 PM
I always wanted to be able to write tickets to people taking the Handicapped spot. I think I heard of a city that is allowing people to write parking tickets, I would love to live there!

starrynight
07-12-2004, 01:02 PM
It's about time someone got caught!

I see this all the time it bugs the heck out of me. My mom won't use a handicapped spot but she does use that spot next to it or sometimes parks on those ramps that you are not supposed to park on. I yell at her for it all the time, how hard it is to walk the extra few spaces?? She is a nurse and should know better that some people need the extra room to get out of their vehicle. She gets real bugged when she goes to the commisary with us, the first 2-3 rows are all handicapped spots so you have to part somewhat farish(I know not a word!) from the enterance. She gripes about walking and that dh and I refuse to use up a handicapped spot that we don't need.

olim
07-13-2004, 12:28 PM
I have a handicap parking tag due to a heart condition (can't walk far without fainting). I can't even count how many times I've run across people who park in the spot next to the handicap one. You know, the spot that is crossed out so handicap people using wheel chairs have more room. Sometimes when I am feeling really really evil, I will open my car door a little too hard and accidentally hit their door. oops }(
SAHM to Madeline Penelope Jan. 9 2004