PDA

View Full Version : what did you think? Kerry, Edwards on 60 Minutes

kristine_elen
07-11-2004, 10:30 AM
ETA: Anyone watch it? Reaction?

I thought they were pretty good, but not on the question of Kerry's vote on the Iraq war. It's never good to say, "I think I answered your question" (even if it's true). I also thought Edwards was a little demeaning to Stahl in that portion of the interview. "We've said it 10 times now, it's not that complicated." Maybe the trial lawyer in him popping up?
But I still think they'll do a great job in office. (It's also too bad Stahl didn't ask more substantive questions about issues/policies.)

Not trying to start a debate, just an FYI for anyone interested in politics.

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-11-2004, 04:19 PM

We're having a party tonight at 7:00PM to watch it, strict instuctions no one is to speak during it!!!!!!
I have been suprised no one has mentioned the Kerry/Edwards ticket yet here...too me this is the GRANDEST of news!!!!!!

Picking anyone else, in my opinion, could not have given Kerry the "umph" that Edwards is doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A great ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

papal
07-11-2004, 04:27 PM
I am being very shallow here, but that Edwards is quite the looker don't you think! Very handsome! :)

JLiebCamm
07-11-2004, 06:00 PM
He is definitely nice to look at. He has so much charisma and a twinkle in his eye.

Thanks for the heads up about tonight's program!

MelissaTC
07-11-2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the FYI! Need to go set the DVR now! I am so bummed I missed the rally in Raleigh yesterday. My friend went with her DH & DD. They posted some pics on their website. It is amazing to see how may people were there and it was equally cool to see her 2 yr old DD at a political rally. I just love it!

kristine_elen
07-11-2004, 07:09 PM
I'm with you. I cheered out loud when I heard Kerry say on NPR that "with your help, the next vice president of the United States will be Senator John Edwards." I think he was the best choice, although Bill Richardson might have been interesting, too.

ddmarsh
07-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Yaaaaahhhhhoooooo Neve - ITA, LOL!

I took my four children by myself to the Cleveland Rally, stood in line for an hour and a half to get through security and stayed until close to the very end (we departed quickly when it began to rain). My boys were so thrilled to have participated and will that memory forever :).

Judegirl
07-11-2004, 09:34 PM
I missed it! If it's appropriate here, can someone pretty please post the highlights?

Jude

Dscvrlifewith3
07-11-2004, 10:00 PM
I think so too. And his wife always has their kids dressed in the most beautiful boutique clothes.

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-12-2004, 09:14 AM
It is not discussed much but they had a 16 year old boy who was killed in a frek accident driving his Jeep to the Eastern Shore to their beach home. I think it was a good decade ago atleast. This youngest son was born since I have been down here in NC, about 5 years ago and I think she was in her late late late 40's when she had him.

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-12-2004, 09:20 AM
OOOPS edited I meant "couldn't have" I had "could" in there...

in her role to be an unbias news reporter, inteviewer...granted I cheer when they treat Bush this way so I have no real right to say this. BUT....I found her out of line in her way of asking questions AND was really disturbed by her cattyness when she said prior to the interview showing candidates and wives...

"look at the Kerry's and how they handle their holding of hands...you'd think it was their first time ever being interviewed together"....

That just made me cringe!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I suspect she is highly jealous of the couple as she is like 80 and dresses in tight leather for every program that she does. Normally I'd say "you go girl" but she got me mad last night!

I did not think the interview was a great one...Kerry inturrupted Edwards like he was a child thru out the whole thing and I was glad that Edwards finally said "LET ME FINISH!!!!!" ...I was glad to see him repeat that to Leslie Stahl so it didn't just show a frustration with Kerry...but I actually went down a notch in my thinking of Kerry last night....SADLY... though he'd get my vote no matter what he does....

t crawled in lap so gotta leave it at that...
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

barbarhow
07-12-2004, 09:54 PM
She was 47 and he was 48 when they had their next child. I recently saw (maybe on the today show?) a feature on the wives and I really loved what they had to say about Edwards wife. Oh yeah, I'd have to agree. He is pretty hot...
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

memedee
07-12-2004, 10:36 PM
I have met Kerry several times and his arrogance and duplicity which is quite obvious in person does not appear as obvious on TV.Good coaching.
I think Edwards is one of the good guys.
I do so which we had a better choice of candidates.

kristine_elen
07-13-2004, 09:41 AM
That's disappointing. Still, I would rather have an arrogant or aloof president who shares my values than a charming one who stands against all that I believe in.

memedee
07-13-2004, 11:22 AM
I agree with you,however I don't think his values are that different from Bush.
There was a particular incident with his using his political influence to move a fire hydrant away from his Beacon Hill home so that he could get an extra parking space.
Unfortunately someone who had a far less expensive residence lost the space in front of their home.
It just feels to me that their are two people running with very similar political ideaologies.
Let me just say "he is no Jimmy Carter" and that is too bad.

kristine_elen
07-13-2004, 01:23 PM
That is disheartening. But while they may be similiar (and I don't know this about Kerry besides what you say) in the way that they feel entitled to certain privileges, I think they are very different in terms of politics -- and that's what I care about. (Issues about the environment, taxes, abortion, civil rights, war, etc.) I'm not saying Kerry's a saint, and he's not really someone that gets people fired up too much, but in the ways that matter (to me) I think he'd be a huge improvment over the current administration. It is too bad he's no Jimmy Carter -- though I don't remember much of the Carter years, honestly.

parkersmama
07-13-2004, 04:02 PM
I agree with you, Kristine. Although Kerry might not have been my first choice (I'd rather it was Edwards/Kerry! :) ), his views on the issues line up more closely with mine. Whether he is personally a saint or not actually matters little to me in the long run. I'm hoping that Kerry and Edwards can bring this country out of the darkness we're in (IMO) and reverse the damage of the current administration. I don't remember a lot about the Carter years either but I do know that he is a wonderful person with high ideals and values.

jennifer13
07-13-2004, 04:07 PM
Ok my fellow rabid-democrats- isn't it so exciting to feel all the energy start to build around Kerry/Edwards? It feels like the dawn of a new era.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

MelissaTC
07-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Hear Hear! :)

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-13-2004, 07:51 PM
That she is older than he is is discussed often here in NC...I don't know how much older but I am pretty certain she is not a year younger than he is, infact I think (THINK) she was about 49 when she delivered.

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Not certain if they are correct, but those numbers seemsto coincide with what I have heard and thought...
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

pritchettzoo
07-13-2004, 11:51 PM
She is 4 years older than he is--her birthday is July 3, 1949; his is June 10, 1953. I remembered hearing that she and Kerry's wife are older than their husbands, but I couldn't remember the difference. I just googled their birthdays--I'm not a stalker freak or anything! ;)

Anna