PDA

View Full Version : OT: Has anyone gotten a puppy while their child was still very young??

JMS
07-11-2004, 09:30 PM
If so, were you dead exhausted???

DH and I are animal lovers.. we have a cat and have always wanted to get a dog.. eventually.
We moved into a big house b/4 DD was born and we have a great yard. DD is almost 5 months old. I am a SAHM.
I saw a puppy today available for adoption that I fell in love with. He is everything I could ever want in a puppy (size, disposition, etc), but I don't know if the timing is all wrong.
We said we'd wait until DD was around 5 (assuming a 2nd baby would be around 3), but now I'm thinking that maybe it would be easier now (am I trying to convince myself or what???) :)
I believe that the majority of great pets aren't born that way, but take a lot of time and attention.

Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience and how taxing it was on you ??

TIA!

jd11365
07-11-2004, 10:12 PM
A puppy is a LOT of work. My first thought is "Are you nuts?!?!" 5 months is a honeymoon stage for babies...they're not crawling or into things yet...but more "fun" is around the corner. Personally I think you'd have a lot on your hands, but I've not personally done it so maybe I'm off the mark. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Momof3Labs
07-11-2004, 11:48 PM
I gotta agree with Jamie - my first thought, too, was "are you nuts?" Do you actually have the time to train the dog (and I mean more than potty training - going to a basic obedience class and practicing every day)? Basic good manners are essential in a house with children (yours plus their friends visiting). And when your baby soon becomes mobile, you'll be busier than you can imagine - why add a puppy to the mix? Plus, it doesn't sound like you have dog experience, which would make this a much rougher road.

When there are young children in the house, the puppy (or even the resident dog(s)) ends up getting the short end of the stick, and that's just not fair to him or her.

Karenn
07-12-2004, 12:18 AM
My girlfriend (also a dog lover) got a puppy when her daughter was under a year, and gave it away within a couple of weeks. She just couldn't keep up. She just now got another dog. That daughter is now eight, and her youngest is 3. The dog and my friend are both much happier this time around. I think your first plan may have been more on target. :)

Raidra
07-12-2004, 02:47 AM
I think you're in puppy lust. :) I feel that way all the time.

That said, I don't think it's a good time. We have two dogs (2-3 yrs old) and things are very difficult with them. They're both house trained and have been through obedience so they know how to behave. It's just tough finding time to give them attention with so many other things to do, and now that Colwyn is mobile.. it's an exercise in logistics. Because I haven't been training them lately, behavior problems (minor things like counter surfing) have been cropping up, and I have no time/energy to deal with it.

I used to think that puppies are more work than babies.. now that I have a baby of my own, I don't know about that. They are probably about equal, though. ;)

I know I've seen a lot of people on this board say that even though they wouldn't give up their dogs now that they have babies, they do sometimes wish that they just hadn't gotten a dog in the first place. I feel that way a lot. My life would be a heck of a lot easier without the dogs, but I love them, so I have to put up with it.

nwaddellr
07-12-2004, 10:43 AM
My parents got a puppy and I watched her for a day a couple of months ago and I was exhausted. I too, want a dog - eventually. I was thinking sooner, rather than later, until I watched my parents' puppy. It is a lot of work. The worst part was, DS was at the perfect height for the puppy to chew on his ears - not appreciated by DS but great fun for the puppy.

Remember, you have to take the puppy out every two hours or so - what will you do with DD during that time? Right now it's easy since you can just take them both outside, but what about when the weather is bad? Puppies are very active and like to chew on things (toes, anyone) - how will you keep the puppy from chewing on DD? And last (but not least), puppies are like babies and don't sleep through the night and/or get up really early in the morning. Do you really need another reason to get up at night?

Just a few thoughts for you - there's nothing worse than getting a dog, getting attached, and then having to find a new home for it.

JMS
07-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys.. I know it's not the best idea, but I needed other people to tell me so :)
As Rachel said, I'm in puppy lust. I grew up always having dogs so I have a pretty good idea of the amount of work and attention involved especially if you want the dog to turn into a great pet.
I think I'll put it off for now sadly, but you'll be seeing another post in the next few years asking if you all think the timing is right then!!! :) :)