PDA

View Full Version : Progesterone supplement- have any of you taken any

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-12-2004, 11:34 PM
My progesterone level came back at 17.5. Evidently "normal" but I think he likes to see it at 25. I have a script for Prometrium, Steve picked it up or I would have talked to the pharmacist some about it...

I wondered what others experiences with it have been...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

nathansmom
07-12-2004, 11:46 PM
I did progesterone shots for the first trimester with both Nathan and the twins. I think your doctor has you on a cream or suppository. My supplement of progestrone made me very very tired both times. I'm talking only enough engery to get up take a shower than get back into bed for another 4 hours of sleep. Probably not what you want to hear but thats what is was like for me.

Congrats on your pregnancy!!!!!!!!!!! I told you I thought we'd both be pregnant again at the same time. I think I even called it with the prediction of twins for me.

Dscvrlifewith3
07-12-2004, 11:50 PM
This may be a stupid question. I may have missed something. Not sure.

Are you pregnant? If so, then yes, your progesterone level is high enough to maintain a pregnancy, but you are right, most doctors like to see it at 25. I did take progesterone, but I did the vaginal suppositories. Lovely, I must tell you. <sarcasm> My progesterone level was at 19, slipped to a 16, and then the day I started them was an 11. It came up to a 20 and stayed there.

Take care,

Kim

DDowning
07-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Neve - I'm on prometrium oral pills 4x a day. I take them at 8am, 12pm, 4pm and 8pm. I've been taking them since I had the last IUI before I found out I'm even pregnant. They are easily digestible and I've had no ill side effects - though the extra progesterone might make your breasts more tender than they normally would be otherwise. I really feel it at night when I take my bra off to go to bed. The only other pain is just the constant reminder to take them but the 4 hour schedule is usually a good thing. Progesterone supplements are used for the first trimester only - after that the placenta is usually developed enough to produce the nutrients needed for the rest of the pregnancy. I've got a little less than 4 more weeks to go.

HTH!

westchicagomom
07-13-2004, 03:54 AM
After some spotting early in my pg, I was prescribed suppositories to be used twice a day - not fun at all.

Since my OB never took blood to check my level and was doing this just in case and I read there is some controversy about their use - I only used one a day for the first trimester.

I would definitely preferred oral meds - I don't think they can do harm. The controversy I read was just about whether they worked or not (or maybe were prolonging a pg that shouldn't be prolonged - I guess this last part is why I didn't follow my doctor's orders)

MelissaTC
07-13-2004, 07:44 AM
I was on progesterone suppositories for a month after conceiving Matthew after my first pregnancy ended in m/c. I felt awful, had terrible headaches and they were a mess. But Matthew is here. :)

ETA I read that the benefit of the suppositories (inserted vaginally, I know, lovely thought) is that they melt with your body heat and hit your blood stream quickly. There is a lot of info on the internet regarding this. At least there was when I was put on them. My current RE's office (Duke) says that there is conflicting information regarding the benefits of progesterone. All I know is I took it and I have Matthew. :)

smilequeen
07-13-2004, 09:21 AM
I was on prometrium the first trimester of this pregnancy because of my history. Mine was oral and really, I felt like I had normal pregnancy symptoms...they might have been worse than they would have been otherwise, but I don't really know. Whether it helped, I have no idea, but there is still a little baby in there and that's all I could ask for :)

cinrein
07-13-2004, 09:21 AM
I took Prometrium with Anna and with my IUI cycles. It's supposed to be taken orally, but my RE has me "take" it as a vaginal suppository. Prometrium is a gel in a caplet form, so it's supposedly not as messy as other suppositories. I've been told by another RE that stuff is absorbed much more easily vaginally rather than orally, so that's why so many prefer to deliver the drug that way. I have a history of extremely low progesterone levels, so no question I would take some form of progesterone.

It makes me really tired and breasts tender. It pretty much feels like you are pregnant, which you are so maybe you won't really notice anything. :) I took 2 pills a day until 10 weeks, then down to 1 pill a day until 12 weeks.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

momathome
07-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Hey, Neve! Since I have started fertilty treatments, my RE put me on Crinone, which is a progesterone gel. Low progesterone was one of the suspected causes of my earlier miscarriages so we are hoping the progesterone will work to help sustain a pregnancy this time. So far, I have not had any side effects and I do the treatment (which is like a yeast infection cream) once a day. Good luck to you!

Andrea S
07-13-2004, 10:30 AM
I was on progesterone supp 2 X a day. I had spotting early with my pregnancy and my prog was on the lower side and with my history of a miscarriage the Dr. prescribed them so I took them until 13 weeks.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

marinkitty
07-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Neve! I must have missed something - sounds like you are pregnant???? If so, a big CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

Grace_underfire
07-13-2004, 01:54 PM
I took Prochieve vaginal Gel. I did a lot of research and apparently this was the most consistent Rx progesterone administration. Meaning it had the most consisten impact on progesterone levels in your blood and since it was not taken orally it worked better. It was a gel that you inserted in a tampax type applicator and it was not messy and worked great. Gosh I almost forgot about that... It was extremely expensive but my insurance covered the majority of it. I think a week of it was $300 + or so (before insurance)

I started taking it 9 days post ovulation when I found out I was pregnant until 12 weeks. My levels were on the low side so I rushed home from the doc and started the progesterone right away.

llcoddington
07-13-2004, 05:01 PM
I was on prometrium and then switched to crinone. Prometrium made me itchy from head to toe! Both were very messy but I have Lauren now!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03