PDA

View Full Version : Samuel Update, Gift Ideas, Address etc...

McQ
07-13-2004, 09:32 AM
For those of you that have asked, here's the latest update on Samuel as well as some gift ideas and their address.

Update from Kristina:

Send everything to their P.O. Box. They have people checking it daily and Mark goes home twice a week.

Backus
P.O. Box 229
South Prairie WA 98385

Gift Ideas:

Jen - She likes to soak in a tub. She would really enjoy bubble bath, bath oils, lotions, shampoos and conditioners and fancy soaps. She REALLY needs Bravado nursing bras, size medium/plus plus. She would also like someone to take the kids for an afternoon or bring their kids to the hotel where they are staying and everyone can go swimming. She is desperate for some alone time with Mark at Samuel's bedside. They have some things to decide (explanation following). She really needs a laptop computer but would never ask for it herself. I just think it would be so awesome to communicate with you guys whenever she wants to or to surf the net in the wee hours. It never hurts to ask, right?

Mark - He is an avid reader and would freak out for a Barnes and Nobel gift certificate. There is one right near the hospital. He says in his dreams he would love an electric razor, but he knows they are very expensive. He also would like a CD of the group Audio Slave. That would be nice to listen to with all of the driving. He would also appreciate gas cards.

Daniel and Kaysha - They would like games for their Gameboys that a special Santa already sent them last month. They already have Mario World, Donkey Kong, Disney Princess and Crash.

Samuel - All he needs right now are prayers.

For the family - Gift certificates for the following: Walmart, Target, Starbucks, Azteca, McDonalds, Subway, etc.

Samuel's surgery was not a success. He can't walk, talk, sit, etc. Last night fluid started leaking from his brain, and they have determined that the third ventricle that they were draining into isn't absorbing the excess fluid from the two huge ventricles. They want to put another shunt in with it draining into his abdomen. As you may recall, the last time they did this (the original shunt) an abcess developed at the drainage point secondary to all of the scarring in his gut from the chemo drugs and resultant removal of most of his intestines. They docs tell her that they may be able to position the drain in a better, less damaged part of his gut, but... as you can imagine, Jen is freaking out. This is the straw that appears to have her questioning the Lord. I didn't know what to tell her. I said, "I know the Lord is there and I know that he loves you, but I can't explain to you why this is happening." She just doesn't know how she can do it. She is in the hotel room right now, separated from Mark, Anna is crying, the kids are bored and mildly naughty and her son is possibly dying. She is just hanging on by her fingernails. She is living life in five minute increments. She is not ready to give up, but the thought of him going through surgery again is just about to give her a stroke. Speaking of strokes, Mark's dad had his second mild stroke in a month last night. As if there wasn't enough going on.

On the up side, the older kids are doing better this week after spending lots of time with mom. That is really the only positive thing right now, it seems.

She really feels she cannot go on. I told her that I ABSOLUTELY KNOW SHE CAN! I told her that if that means she has to watch him writhe around in agony after another surgery or another, she can do that. I told her if that means that someday she holds him close as she lets him go, she can do that. I CAN SAY WITH TRUE CONVICTION THAT SHE IS THE STRONGEST WOMAN I KNOW. She can do anything her baby boy needs her to do. I have so much faith in that - I have so much faith in her. I just love her so much... and Mark - wow... he is so sweet he just about flatters me to death every time I talk to him. Sometimes when I am talking to her, I just pray that the Holy Spirit tells me what to say... tells me how to comfort her. Lots of times I just murmur, "I know... I know, sweetie". Often I think of all of you guys. Faceless names that I feel so connected to in this strange medium we communicate through. I draw strength from you guys. I feel you and I know you are there and so does she. You guys are so important to her. You must not ever feel insignificant. When she asks me a question that is impossible to answer, when she breaks my heart with the aching in her voice, I really do think of you guys and what you might say..., how you might respond. Dawn, I wish I were as eloquent as you - so many of you others are so passionate. I feel so bumbling sometimes, but I must serve a need, because she keeps gracing me with her phone calls. Pray for me - pray that the Holy Spirit is SUPER active in me to guide my words and actions. Pray for me that as I pray with her on the phone that I will say the right words to touch her heart and dissolve her anger. Just pray.

Affectionately,
Kristina

amp
07-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Oh, God...this family makes my heart ache so. Feels so helpless to watch them all struggle with this tragedy! I continue to pray for them daily...for healing, health, peace, solace, in the middle of all this.

Thanks for the update Allison! And for including the address and ideas. I may have to pull together some things for this family.

suribear
07-13-2004, 12:47 PM
I hardly know what to say..

What is their email? The one I have is [email protected]. Is that right?

Kris

jasabo
07-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Oh no! I'm so sorry the surgery didn't work. Poor Samuel. I can't even imagine what Jen, Mark and the kids are feeling right now. And little Samuel...it's just so heartbreaking that he's suffering this way. Thank you so much for the update. They'll be in my prayers. And please don't worry about what you're saying to them, Kristina. I'm sure that just having someone to talk to and a shoulder to cry on is enough. That helps more then you can know. Thank you for being such a good friend to them.

Lisa - mom to 1 yr old twin boys

boys2enough
07-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Hi, thank you so much for the update and the info. God bless this family.

Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

DebbieJ
07-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Email is [email protected]

I know they'd also appreciate PayPal.

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03

starrynight
07-13-2004, 04:49 PM
I have tears streaming down my face :(. I will be praying for a real good miracle for them.

jupster75
07-13-2004, 05:13 PM
I just burned a copy of my DH's Audioslave CD to send. I would have bought one, but money is tight right now. I will mail this tomorrow.

Jennifer, mom to Audrey 11/3/03
http://lilypie.com/baby1/041103/2/16/2/-5/.png

khakismom
07-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Thank you for the update--please keep them coming. My heart and soul ache for this family. I pray hard every day for a miracle for Samuel.

hwin708
07-20-2004, 02:01 AM
Does anyone know whether Daniel and Kaysha have a regular game boy or the game boy advance? It can make a difference in the type of games to get.

Melanie
07-20-2004, 02:37 AM
Just posted to her list:

"Hi All -

The cat scan showed that the fluid build up in Samuel's brain is going down! Praise Jesus!! He said night night to Anna last night and said, "Okay, okay" today. His legs are gaining a little more control and HE IS EATING! When Jen gives him anything, he shoves it in his mouth like he is starving and freaks out if she tries to take some away in an effort to make him slow down!

Are you ready for this next piece of info?

They are shooting to go home Thursday.

Are you FREAKING OUT??????? Because this little desert girl here is TOTALLY FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAA WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More as it is available.

Affectionately,
Kristina Gallarzo in the Arizona Desert"

I am so glad. Such wonderful news!

kwc
07-20-2004, 03:46 AM
WOW!!!!
Thank you for posting this, Melanie! I jumped when I saw your subject!

So great!

(sniff sniff sniff)

Karen

himom
07-20-2004, 03:56 AM
Hurrah! This story has been so heartbreaking so far, so it's wonderful to finally see some good news for Samuel & his family.

We'll keep praying for a complete recovery!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-20-2004, 07:27 AM
I'm boo hooing like a baby!!!!
What fantastic news!!!!!
Thank you for sharing!!!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

candybomiller
07-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Oh Thank God! I think about this poor family all the time. I am so glad they are finally catching a breat.

Thank you for sharing this Melanie. You just made my day.

sntm
07-20-2004, 11:41 AM
Thank you for posting this! I was sitting here crying (thank God for private office) when I read Allison's update. I feel so emotionally invested in this little boy -- I've had nights where I couldn't sleep but for thinking of him (and hugging Jack a little tighter.)

I pray that this is a sign of better things to come.

Please keep us updated. I have her site bookmarked but I don't get the yahoo emails anymore.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

starrynight
07-20-2004, 11:51 AM
That is awesome news!!!

amp
07-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Thank you to Melanie and to Allison who keep us posted on this. I've been to the website, but I don't belong to the yahoo group, so unless I hear it here, I don't know what's going on. And this is definitley news for cautious celebration! I am so glad to hear that Samuel is improving. Just when it sounded liked Jen was losing faith. I continue to pray for his recovery and for the family to keep their faith and to find solace during this terrible illness.

jasabo
07-20-2004, 12:49 PM
What wonderful news! Thank you so much for letting us know. I've been meaning to check Jen's site.

I'm SO happy and I hope that Samuel's condition continues to improve. Yay!!!!!!

Lisa - mom to 1 yr old twin boys

votre_ami03
07-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Crying here too. This story just breaks my heart. That is awesome news!

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

Dcclerk
07-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Thank you so much. I've been really worried about them and this is fantastic news. Thanks God is right!

deborah_r
07-20-2004, 02:58 PM
I have chills! This is wonderful news! thanks to all of you who get these updates for us! I think about Samuel and Jen and her family every day!

TaChapm
07-20-2004, 05:56 PM
AMEN! It is amazing how this little boy can bring us all to tears! What a little fighter!
Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02

mamicka
07-20-2004, 06:49 PM
No words. Crying here too. :)

Melanie
07-20-2004, 07:04 PM
"Hi all,

I signed on to send a quick update nnd thanks, but see my wonderful friend, Kristina, already did.

I am so overwhelmed with the love we feel from this group. Thank you all so much for praying us through these last 11 weeks. I feel in such awe of your love and support to my family. You have all surely prayed us through this. Words do not even come close to expressing my feelings toward you all. Thank you! Your gifts of friendsip, sacrifices of prayers and finances for our benefit are overwhelming and I cannot thank you enough.

Samuel has a dye study requiring a lumbar puncture and a bone marrow check scheduled for today. It will be a long day for him. We will again know if he is in remission from the leukemia today. They will also acess the flow from the spinal cord to the brain for chemo purposes. This study will take two days

They are planning our discharge tenatively for Thrusday assuming he continues to improve. I don't know what I will do at home, I haven't seen my house in well over a month. Samuel will be a full time job and thanks to you all, we will be able to continue to stay home and care for him. When I look back at the last 11 weeks, I know we were able to not work and do the balancing act of caring for him and the other kids with your help, love and support and most of all prayers. Samuel has a long road ahead of him. The oncologists are giving him low dose chemo to keep him in remission for about two months or so, long enough for him to rehibilitate. Then we have six months of hard chemo again and then 2-3 years of maintenance. We will continue our treatment in Seattle from here on. The staff here is fantastic and the oncologists I feel, really care about Samuel and us. He is completely off all monitors and off TPN for the first time in ten weeks or so. I wonder if he will remember home.

I have so much to say and a lot of update to put on my site when I have a computer able to do so. It has been a long hard last few months. At one point, Mark said, if we can get through this, we can get through anything. Thank you to all of you! I feel so lucky to have had such a wonderful group find us and care about Samuel. As you all cry tears of joy for us, we cry tears of gratitude to you. We could not have gotten this far without your love and care for us.

Most of all, Praise GOD! Prayers work, God is faithful. Samuel is God's child and will be a mighty man of God one day with a wondeerful testimony of God's faithfulness and the kindness and wonder of all of you who helped him along this journey. I look forward to getting home and sending lots of notes to you in thanks privately.

We will continue to keep you updated and post pictures of his homecoming. Please continue to keep him in your prayers as we go home praying to NEVER be hospitalized again.

Dear Lord, please bless ALL of the people who I do not know who have been faithful in prayer, love, gifts, financial support, friendship and faith toward our family. Thank you, God for keeping us going. Please bless all these lovely people a hundred fold in their loves. Please touch those who may not know you as lord to reach out to your love and hope. We thank you that you are our hope and strength. Thank you for bringing all these faithful prayer warriors, and loving people to a place to know our needs and care for us. Please bless them, each and every one. In Jesus Name, Amen.

With love and hugs, and tears,
Jen"

votre_ami03
07-20-2004, 07:07 PM
I can't read about poor little Samuel w/out crying. I am so glad things are better for him.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

kitmama
07-20-2004, 11:36 PM
Crying here, too of course. Thanks for the updates. . . I hopehopehope that Sam will continue to heal and get stronger until he is a happy, healthy little boy again.

I don't know what else to say.