PDA

View Full Version : OT: How do you remove funky smell from antique dresser?

kristine_elen
07-13-2004, 10:04 AM
We have a 1940s (?) dresser that smells like a combination of moth balls and "old lady" -- and so do my clothes after they've been in the dresser. I tried using Crabtree & Evelyn scented drawer liners, but now my clothes smell like moth balls with a hint of rose.

Anyone know how to get this smell out?

Thanks much.

flagger
07-13-2004, 10:13 AM
If it is sunny, leave them outside for a day (maybe in the shade).

Then put strips of cedar on either side of the drawers.

mamicka
07-13-2004, 10:35 AM
An open box of baking soda should do the trick.

alkagift
07-13-2004, 02:51 PM
I've got a lot of old furniture and I can tell you that it depends on how strong it is...it may not go away completely. I've had to deal with mold and boy is that bad! However, the sun is an excellent idea. The smell is in the wood so you have to do something to the surface of the wood itself. I would leave it out in the sun (one day, probably, would work) then bring it in and really clean it with a wood-specific cleaner and let it air out. If all else fails try lemon oil, buffing it well. Last possible thing is to refinish it--that's the sure thing, but a lot of work!

Hope that helps!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Saartje
07-13-2004, 11:34 PM
I have a chifferobe that, for a long time, left anything I put in it smelling horribly musty. I left the drawers open for a while, which didn't help much. Then I put several cedar blocks in each drawer, and stocked up on soap (we use unscented Dove), which we also stored in the drawers. It took a few months, but the smell cleared up; we can store fabrics in it again with no problems.