PDA

View Full Version : How do I change a 14 month old's diaper w/out getting poop everywhere...

ethansmom
07-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Well, I think the subject line says it all! I change DS's dipe on the floor and he just won't stay still - especially if it's a poopy dipe. I give him books etc. w/out any luck. I just changed a poopy; we both need to change outfits and the carpet is a mess. I can't count the number of board books that have gotten poop on them. What to do? Break down and buy a changing table so I can strap him down?!? Not feed him yogurt and up the iron so the poop is more formed? (sorry if TMI!)

Also, we have recently started timeouts for biting (he only bites me!) and the number of bites seems to be dimishing. He bit me during the last diaper change, but since he was all poopy and I was still trying to clean him up, I just let it go. Was it right to give him a "freebie"? I didn't want to delay the timeout since I really don't think he'd remember what it was for, but I am trying to be consistent.

Thanks!

barbarhow
07-13-2004, 12:47 PM
From what I have read-(Buron White) It is totally normal toddler behavior to do this. Jack hates the diaper change. I would not recommend a changing table-we have banished ours to the basement-way too dangerous with the way he squirms right now.
We change on the floor. I keep a towel on hand and usually do it on that just in case. I firmly say "Jack, we are going to change your diaper now." And then proceed to do it. I try and give him a small toy(something washable) and I don't provide alot of dialogue during the change. Sometimes I feel like I have a vice grip on his ankles but it has definately gotten better since we started doing this. (B. White's recommendations)
HTH.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

alkagift
07-13-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm sure I just read another post about this recently, I think it was from Joanne. You may want to check the Toddler Board since I think that's where it was, but the upshot was that someone had the suggestion of putting stickers on the backs of his hands--it keeps them occupied for a minute trying to pull them off...

Not sure if it works but it sounds like a good idea. I'm glad you asked this since mine is the same way and it makes me nuts!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

kristine_elen
07-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Jack, now 19 mo., went through a short squirmy stage. I found that he'd settle down if I sang to him or if I counted slowly -- it seemed to mezmerize (sp?) him. (Not in a threatening "1-2-3 that's it - you're in trouble" way, just counting for fun.) Good luck!

Marisa6826
07-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Sophie's generally good about changing dipes and we use a changing table, FWIW (my back can't handle any other options). I guess it also helps that she generally poops only once a day and it's usually of the "flushable" variety.

I know that if I DO have to change her and we're out and about (like in the car), I have found that positioning her so that her legs are hanging off (just her bottom supported) she feels less secure - and subsequently less squirmy.

Also, I remember that some Mommies have had luck straddling their kiddos backward (you would be facing his feet, and you kind of pin his hands with your knees to his sides). Sounds complicated, but probably only the first few times.

How about stocking up on some cheapo beach towels to put underneath for changes? They had nice solid ones at Costco last week for less than $10.

Just a thought.

Don't know what to tell you about the biting. Sophie hasn't pulled that stunt yet, and with 18 teeth I'm pretty glad about that ;).

-m

memedee
07-13-2004, 02:54 PM
I have dangled a toy from my mouth and he tries to catch it
Will buy you a few seconds.
But I do hold firmly and also sing sometimes.
This is on a changing table though.

cinrein
07-13-2004, 03:27 PM
We still use a changing table because in our case Anna is much better behaved for diaper changes on a table. If I try to change her on the floor the just tries to escape.

One thing that helps is if I quiz Anna during the change. I ask her what sounds different animals make and either she makes the sound, or I do if she doesn't know. She adores animals, so this seems to occupy her attention.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

boys2enough
07-13-2004, 03:41 PM
I change my 20 mo DS on the floor as well, and this is what I do: I sit down next to him and put one of my legs over his tummy. lol. It serves 2 purposes: it keeps him from turning over and it blocks his hands from "exploring."

I do not really lay my elephant trunk on his tummy. I leave some "air space" so that I know I am not crushing him. Hope this makes any sense.

Granted it's not a pretty sight, but hey, diaper change is not glamorous to begin with. lol. ;-) HTH.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

jec2
07-13-2004, 07:23 PM
I've been wondering this too. So, you are all basically telling me that it doesn't get any better, eh? Please don't say that! Here I am thinking this is just a phase with a new crawler. Oi vay.

lizajane
07-13-2004, 08:57 PM
schuyler will flip over on the changing table now and then, but he can't get up and walk away. the changing table is MUCH EASIER than the floor. but he really isn't so bad.

BUT i have actually had to practically sit on him backwards to keep him from leaving the scene. i used my knees to hold his bands at his sides, and sounds SO awful... but had my butt in his face so he couldn't go anywhere.

(now that you are all calling DSS on me, i am going to run off and hide...)

JElaineB
07-13-2004, 09:09 PM
Jacob is very squirmy during diaper changes and will try to escape if I change him on the floor or bed. I have better luck on the changing table but he still tries to squirm and stand up. What I do if I really want him to lay still and he is trying to flip all over is to physically hold him down and say "diaper time" several times and give him a serious looking "glare". It is the only time I look at him like that and he knows I mean business (usually he gets away with whatever he wants with me!) So that works usually. You might just have to be really firm with him during diaper changes. I would agree with no time out in the middle of a poopy diaper change, but I would still say "no biting" in a stern voice so he knows it didn't slip by.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

pixelprincess
07-14-2004, 03:00 AM
dang...pls tell me it gets better. my 1 yr old DS just HATES diaper changes. sometimes, it takes 2 strong people like dh and me. it started at 11 months...i am going nuts!!

my friend uses pull-ups and seems to have better luck changing her DS standing up! she is quite skillful and makes it looks easy. me on the other hand can't do it as well...and then the stoopid pull up leaked all over today, and he peed on the floor the second i took the dipe off to get him into the pull-up!