PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia- What Cell Phone Service do you recommend

Jen in Chicago
07-13-2004, 01:25 PM
We'll be moving there, and my current phone is horrible. My contract is up, so I am going to get one for there. Any recommendations would be great! Not sure where we will live, but it most likely will be Downingtown/Lionsville/Exton area or West Chester.

So much is in the air!

MinnieMouse
07-13-2004, 03:02 PM
We started out with Cingular and had really bad signal in multiple places. Namely a HUGE part of my commuter trip home on the train (where I use my phone the most) and inside our home. We also had some issues w/ service dropping, etc. in random places.

We looked around for a while when our contract was up and switched to Verizon this past October and really like it. The cost was about the same as our Cingular plan but the no signal zone on the train is greatly diminished now and we can now get an okay signal in our house, but not great. We live in a row house so I can't complain about it too much :-). I haven't had my service drop once w/ Verizon.

FWIW, my brother is a "sound guy" and travels on concert tours all over the country. His cell service is through Verizon and he told me that his is the only phone that works EVERYWHERE....the other guys on the tours borrow his phone because theirs generally don't have enough signal.

I did look at Sprint and Nextel as options but their phone deals weren't as good (ie free or cheap) so I took them out of the running pretty early on.

ooh... How cool that you are moving to the West Chester area...I went to college there :-). We are up in the Northern 'burbs but who knows were we will end up buying a house?

HTH

Christine

Jeanne
07-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Having tried them all for work; the only provider with the most reliable coverage is Verizon. You will still experience dead zones and call drops but at much lower rate compared to the others in this area.

Good Luck with the move and welcome to Philadelphia!

momathome
07-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Hey, Jen! Verizon by far has the best service around here. Also, if you need a recomendation for a pediatrician in that area, we belong to a ped group in Lionville that is fabulous. If you want more info, just let me know! Good luck with your move!

workaholic
07-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Consumer reports voted Verizon Wireless as #1 and AT&T as the worst.
This was based on customer complaints.
Aimee Larsen
Momma to Cooper
Crossing fingers for another...
Owner: Ella-Bags

Kieransmom
07-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Welcome to the Philadelphia area! I have Verizon and I really like it. I had Nextel and I would have blackout areas depending on where I was. I have not had this problem with Verizon.
DH is from West Chester. I myself am a Jersey girl but I consider Philadelphia home too. Welcome!

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

JMS
07-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Hi Jen,
I live about 10 miles east of Exton.. go with Verizon. My DH has Verizon and I have AT&T. His coverage is so much better than mine (for no apparent reason my mobile doesn't even work in our home.. only thing I can figure is that 2 exterior walls are stone, but DH's works fine). I'm switching next month when my contract is finally up.

HTH!

ETA: Welcome to the area!!! I am an implant by marriage and I generally love this area :)

Jen in Chicago
07-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Verizon it is! I am going to go get rid of my AT&T phone and get this hopefully today- that is if I can get a Philly number here in Chicago. This transitional stuff is for the birds!

MinnieMouse
07-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Hmmm I know you can sign up for Verizon service online. If they can't give you a Philly number in Chicago I would try signing up on line.

Christine

clb0556
07-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Welcome to the Philadelphia area Jen! So does that mean you have to change your BBB name? Lol.

jamsmu
07-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Hi Jen,
We're in Exton/WC. (and there are plenty of houses for sale in our neighborhood!) I'm Verizon and DH is on Sprint. My service is better, but Sprint isn't so bad.

Welcome!