PDA

View Full Version : Are there rules/laws for taking children boating?

cabinqueen
07-13-2004, 09:08 PM
DS is almost a year and we want to take him kayaking. We live on a calm river, no rapids or anything dangerous like that. We're just talking about casual Sunday afternoon stuff here. Can anyone tell me if there are any quidelines I should be following with regard to age or weight? Thanks.

flagger
07-13-2004, 09:18 PM
The rules for boating are general but they require a life jacket for every passenger on board. Sounds like you will have a blast!

billysmommy
07-13-2004, 10:24 PM
We have a tandem kayak and have plans to take Billy out this summer. We would have already gone but we had stored some stuff in front of our kayak and just got around to clearing it out. We bought him an infant life jacket and can't wait to go :) The next nice weekend we plan to go

khakismom
07-14-2004, 01:46 AM
My oldest DD has gone kayaking with my father a few times and loves it! They go out into the Gulf (right outside their marina) in Florida and float around and fish for a while. He just put on her life jacket and away they went. Have fun!

hez
07-14-2004, 08:05 AM
We visited my folks at their boat a couple months ago. DS was supposed to have on a life jacket on from the moment he was on the dock (in my arms). We were a little lax while the boat was docked (life jacket out but not on), but he wore the jacket when we went out for a short boat ride. If he had been walking, I wouldn't have been lax with the life jacket at the dock.

COElizabeth
07-14-2004, 10:15 AM
You can look up state boating laws at this Coast Guard site:

http://www.uscgboating.org/regulation.htm

The only rule I have ever heard of for child passengers in boats is that in the state where I grew up (and most states, I think), they must wear a Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device.

ETA: Oops! I should have read further! Federal regulations now require life jackets for kids under 13 in states that don't have laws regarding child life jackets. Where there is state law, it applies, even if it is less stringent. If a child is in a cabin or below decks he or she can remove the life jacket.

http://www.uscgboating.org/news/boatingview.aspx?id=26
Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04