PDA

View Full Version : nasal stuffiness interrupting sleep!

zuzusmom
07-14-2004, 08:57 AM
Please help! My little one has been suffering from nasal congestion since her first week of birth. It hasn't really been a problem since the past week. At night she is having such difficulty breathing that she wakes up from her very needed sleep. I spoke to my pediatrician about it since week 1 and they offered suggestions such as a nasal spray, humidifier, and elevation. I have done all this but it has not helped any. The only time she can sleep for long periods of time is when she is on her side or in the swing. At her most recent checkup I discussed the problem again with the doctor and they claim it is "normal". I can't see how considering my precious little one is not getting the comfortable sleep she deserves. I solely breastfeed her, so I am at a loss. Any suggestions or advice!

trumansmom
07-14-2004, 10:13 AM
No advice, just sympathy. Eleanor had this same problem for the first month or so. It was so frustrating not to be able to do anything for her. We did the same things you did, and eventually she just got better. But in the meantime, it was so rough on all of us. I do have to say that I'm a firm believer in saline spray now. I never used it with Truman, but it's been a lifesaver with Eleanor.

Good luck. Hopefully she will get over it soon.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

Rachels
07-14-2004, 10:47 AM
Does she have any other symptoms of reflux? The nasal stuffiness can actually be a big one.

Either way, if your doc isn't taking your concerns seriously, go to a different one. You deserve to be listened to.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/2/character39.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

zuzusmom
07-14-2004, 10:52 AM
What nasal spray did you use? How often? I am currently using Little Noses!

ktdid74
07-14-2004, 12:14 PM
We went through this same thing with DD. At about 2.5 months, we got a head/neck x-ray to make sure there was no blockage, etc. Nothing was found on x-ray either. Mackenzie eventually grew out of it but it felt like an eternity! She would wake herself up snorting, etc. We just put a wedge under her moses basket to keep her kind of upright, used saline drops and a humidifier( none of which really seemed to help a lot). I think once their nasal passages get a little bigger, things improve! Hang in there!

Smiles81
07-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Sometimes my son would wake up and I could tell he was congested. I would put him in his infant seat, rock him and he would fall asleep. He was upright and more comfortable that way.
Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04

trumansmom
07-14-2004, 03:31 PM
That;s what I used as well. I basically "snorted her out" everytime I thought she needed it. Every morning, at bedtime, and maybe during the day. The nurse suggested that I used a little more than the directions said in order to really "irrigate" the passages. It seemed to help, and I was able to get a lot more gick out.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04