PDA

View Full Version : How Is This Fair?

Raidra
07-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Well, it looks like the vacation we've been planning for months won't be happening after all. I'm so angry.

It started on Monday when my husband called home and said that we wouldn't be able to leave on Wednesday after all, because his boss told him he needed to stay at work until Friday. His company offered to pay the rescheduling fee and any airfare differences. Okay, incredibly irritating, but we can manage.

So, we go to reschedule, and it costs more than we have in the bank right now. His company won't pay up front, just reimburse. He tells his boss this, and his boss says to cancel the flight, get a credit from Orbitz, and rebook for Saturday. We still don't have enough cash to do it right then, but would have today. We canceled the flight yesterday, picked the flight we wanted to take on Saturday, and were just waiting for the paycheck to hit the account today before we could book it.

When my husband goes to book the flight today, the price has gone up $400 overnight. We don't have enough to cover that. When he tells his boss, his boss says that's not his problem.

It's not like we were going anywhere fabulous, jut to Florida to visit my mother-in-law and her mother. My mother-in-law has only see Colwyn once, and her mother never has. It's also her mother's 80th birthday, and my sister-in-law will be there with her husband and kids (who have never seen Colwyn either). So, in a way, I'm grateful that I don't have to spend my vacation with my in-laws, but I'm also incredibly disappointed that I won't get to show off Colwyn. Plus, how is this fair? And what are we going to do with a $500 Orbitz credit?

My husband has put so much into this company, without getting any kind of reward. They haven't been doing well since the tech crash, so he hasn't gotten a raise in years. This past January he took on a major project (which is the company's only chance at surviving - a new product that he's developing from scratch) in addition to his current job with no pay increase. They promised him someone to temporarily help with his regular job but haven't followed through, and they still give him crap when he takes longer to get things done since he's now doing two jobs (for the price of one). It's not even sure that he'll get a bonus for this project.

Anyway, there wasn't much point to this post, but I needed to get it off my chest.

hez
07-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Oh Rachel, I'm so sorry. I would be so, so angry. I can't fix this for you and don't have any advice, but wanted to acknowledge that what you're feeling is perfectly understandable! I hope some miracle occurs and you're able to go anyway.

JacksMommy
07-14-2004, 02:10 PM
That stinks! How disappointing. It makes me so angry when friends get taken advantage of at work, and it sounds like your husband is putting a lot in without getting much out. How maddening.

Since you were already planning to go out of town, maybe you can plan some fun local things that you never take the time to do otherwise, like a daytrip or something. We've had to do that before and it wound up being as much or more fun than our planned trip. Anyways, just a thought.

Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/25/02

heidi_timms
07-14-2004, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry your whole vacation is ruined :(

As a last resort try priceline.com and bid for cheap fares. The only hitch is you don't get to pick your flight time or airline, just the day you leave and come back and no cancellations. DH and I flew to Paris for $630 a person and got a great vacation package to Vegas. The prices are great and they only use bigger airline companies-American, Delta, etc.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

kransden
07-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Three things:

First - Hugs!! It is awful that your vacation plans are a huge mess.

Two - Check major airlines for their weekend fares and priceline too!

Three - Have DH look for a new job! My DH has worked for places like that. (Not anymore) It is like an abusive relationship. He just needs to escape because it won't get any better.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

new_mommy25
07-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Rachel, I'm so sorry. I would be incredibly diapointed too. I hope DH's company makes it up to him somehow.
(((hugs)))

jec2
07-14-2004, 07:37 PM
Rachel,

what a huge bummer. It's so frustrating when you feel like you've given your right arm to a darn company and they don't even seem to appreciate it and then go and make life even more frustrating by totally screwing up your entire schedule.

Is there any other airline that you and colwyn could just go for a couple of days? Maybe get a last minute airfare? I know Alaska Air has last-minute weekend deals often for flying up and down the west coast(obviously not where you are, but just trying to think of a solution).