PDA

View Full Version : My daughter is gagging herself

mandye
07-14-2004, 01:39 PM
I know there was a message like this a while ago, but when I searched I couldn't find it. At any rate, DD keeps sticking her finger down her throat until she throws up. Is this just a phase? Any ideas for stopping it?

Mandy
mom to Hailey 8/21/03

Marisa6826
07-14-2004, 02:16 PM
Sounds like she's teething. Have you tried Motrin?

-m

peasprout
07-14-2004, 02:59 PM
DD used to do this too. She outgrew it for the most part although she still does it every once in a while. The more I told her not to, the more she would do it. I try to distract her and ask her to show me where her head is so she'll put her hands there instead. Or we do itsy bitsy spider,...or clap our hands together. Anything to keep her hands away from her mouth.
JP

hez
07-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Wow-- I feel a little better that we just hear the awful gagging noise instead of the full out vomit. DS occasionally chews on his fingers and gets one of them too far back. I figured he just has his dad's very touchy gag reflex. Generally I find something else for him to chew on if I can to prevent the gags.

JenCA
07-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Mandy,

Your post is very timely because my DD just did that this morning! She had just had her breakfast and I had carried her upstairs into her room to dress her when she crammed her fingers down her throat and projectile vomited all over me, herself, the floor. She gags herself several times per day doing this (but thankfully, doesn't throw up like that very often). I don't know what to do about it, either! :(

**Edited to add that I see our daughters are quite close in age, perhaps it's a phase?

Sarah1
07-14-2004, 06:35 PM
OMG, Audrey used to gag herself ALL THE TIME, but fortunately never to the point of actually vomiting. It passed, thankfully. I have a friend whose DD also gagged, to the point of vomiting, like your Hailey. I think it's fairly common (YUCK), so you're not alone! You might call your ped's office just to see if they recommend anything--if she's vomiting a lot you might need to give her extra water or pedialyte (?).

HTH :)

Rachels
07-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Abigail did this when she had esophogitis from reflux. Does your baby have any reflux symptoms? If she does, you could a) see a doctor and b) try homeopathic natrium phos. That helped Abby quite a lot.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/2/character39.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

american_mama
07-15-2004, 12:32 PM
My daughter is a year older than yours and was apparently doing this in her crib a few months ago. For about a month or two, I regularly woke up to vomit in her crib in the morning, sometimes after a nap, although she never seemed ill. I decided she was bored and experimenting with cause and effect, and I made a real effort to get her out of the crib as soon as she was awake (I had been letting her linger). It seemed to help and we've had no problems for several months, even though I am no longer so vigilant about getting her up immediately.

My sister's daughter also gagged on her fingers and hands quite a lot, but I don't know what she did about it.