PDA

View Full Version : Who's gardening this year?

cdmamatutu
07-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Just curious. This is the first year I've even tried to have a garden since I became pregnant with our first. He is 2 1/2 now, and he, um, "helped" me plant this year. :) I was just thrilled to see anything come up! But weeding and watering have been difficult to keep up with since I also have a 7-month-old. I feel like I've really accomplished something if I make it out to pick a bowl of salad greens or green beans! I'm hoping that next year we can actually harvest enough to freeze for the winter.

alkagift
07-15-2004, 12:04 AM
I put "something's growing" since I don't have vegetables...just herbs and roses, daylilies, hydrangeas and currently daisies. I had other stuff in spring and more will be later, but right now it's kind of thin...

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

amp
07-15-2004, 12:20 AM
Flower gardening, not veggies. I don't like veggies, but I do like flowers!

Saartje
07-15-2004, 02:10 AM
Didn't vote, because I'm not sure which category fits best.

But we do have a garden! DH and I are so excited -- we've wanted a garden since we got married, but this is the first time we've lived in a place with a yard.

Just can't select one of the options to vote for because we just got the garden in a few weeks ago (had to wait for our landlady to tell us where we could have a plot), so nothing's ripe yet! :p

Tomatoes, cantalopes, a few flowers, and bunches of herbs. :D

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-15-2004, 09:11 AM
I'm not really in a catagroy but I most def garden!!!!
I just got a fig tree, but with the exception of only one year I never plant veggies...

I have added a lot of plants this year.
I found this year to be the prettiest my yard has looked yet, in March, April, May there was so much color, now there is not much. But I have over 100 Bearded Iris and they were so huge this year!!!!

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

ntrainer
07-15-2004, 11:14 AM
If I didn't get out to garden, I'd lose one of my major ways to stay sane... so on the weekends, when my husband can be in charge of Rachel (we joke that he's on the "evenings and weekends plan," like AT&T), I try to get out for an hour or two of basic weeding. That having been said, our pre-owned house was owned by two total non-gardeners before we moved in, so we have a hillside that's covered with Virginia Creeper interspersed with English Ivy -- very hard to remove. Thankfully I spent the first two years in the house weeding out the Creeper, so much less has come back this year (our first with baby Rachel), but I'm sure it'll be the end of August before I'm finished weeding that !#$(* stuff.

FYI, it was very helpful for me to follow the advice of Paul James (host of HGTV's "Gardening by the Yard") and view my garden as a group of small gardens. That is, break the tasks into manageable chunks so I don 't feel overwhelmed by things like weeding or mulching. Just one bed at a time!

Nancy

Mom to Rachel, born 5/24/04

babymama
07-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Voted in the next to last category - although DS is too young to help. Loving our veggie/herb garden. Previous owner of our home didn;t tell us what she planted, so it's been fun to discover what we've got growing all year long (bought the house about 1 yr ago). We took out a squash vine last August/September (stubborn thing is growing again now) bc we had WAY too much of it - not big squash eaters here. Never could identify what kind of squash it was - green and round, like acorn sqush, but spider-vainy on the outside like a cantalope. Late last summer, I had basil coming out of my ears! I literally was giving it away in full trash bags. Had a good number of grape tomatoes and cucumbers too. This yr we (meaning DH) planted serrano peppers, bell peppers, corn, a bunch of herbs, carrots, mint, rosemary, oregano, purple basil. Was sad to see that the blackberries the previous owner left didn;t last - I think they needed more water than we were giving them.
Also the eggplant we planted didn;t produce. Corn didn't do well at first, but we tried again and it seems to be doing really well now.

Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

marinkitty
07-15-2004, 12:34 PM
I put something's growing out there since this year other than basil we just have our perenials, a mandevilla I bought on a whim for a planter DH built me (so pretty but it will die when the cold hits), and some daisies, sweet potato vine, and geraniums I planted in a couple of pots. We have always had tomatos and a bunch of herb boxes (can't plant it in the ground here if you want to eat it - soil in the city is too contaiminated) but not this year. DH is going to build some big planters and window boxes for our roofdeck this fall so next year I can have more stuff up there. I take DD outside with me to weed/trim stuff back but I spend the whole time making sure she doesn't "dead head" all the live flowers!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

lizajane
07-15-2004, 12:58 PM
well, the one vote in the "if i see another zucchini" catagory is me!!! but my plants are starting to look sad because they are just SO DARN HOT all day. but we have given away TONS of zucchini, and we also have squash, green peppers (haven't had a red or yellow yet), yellow tomatoes, slicing tomatoes, juliet tomatoes, roma tomatoes, super sweet 100 tomatoes, slicing cucumbers, and we have our first two eggplant right now. i had TONS of shasta daisies and they are now on their second round. (but they need water and fertilizer. i just haven't fertilized this year! i have to get out there!)

Vajrastorm
07-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Missing my gardening. We have a few things in containers this year, thats all.

pamela mom of 3
07-15-2004, 02:24 PM
How about "sort of" ? Our strawberry plants outdid themselves, we had a great crop this year. As to the rest a small garden with some brocoli{i spelled that wrong ack!} and peas and carrots...their growing and so far so good. We used to do more but with the kids to care for it's just too much work ontop of the flower beds and all the grass to cut, we did grow pumpkins for them one year which worked out not too bad, got alot of cute sized ones ;) The corn was a bust one year though...it's hard to battle the bugs & the rain {too much or lack of}sometimes.

So i guess we;re sort of an on again off again type of veggie garden type LOL ;)

ETA: forgot my tomatoes LOL, their in pots on the back deck, since their toxic i prefer to keep them up and away..one is cherry and the other is "regular"

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

alkagift
07-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Neve you should try daylilies! They are going full strength right now and if you get several varieties you get almost constant bloom through July--and no maintenance except fertilizer!!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-15-2004, 08:11 PM
So funny you say that...we have a HUGE daylily farm near by that sells huge clumps for like $7, in every color I have heard...I didn't make it this year but do plan on going next :)...

I've never been but it is the buzz around here...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties