PDA

View Full Version : Paramount's Kings Dominion

zuzu
07-15-2004, 09:40 AM
I'm looking for suggestions on what to do at Kings Dominion with a 14 month old. I've not been before, and haven't had a chance to check out their webiste. Our office's summer party is there this weekend and they they will have a tent set up for us. Other than that, we're on our own in the park. Sarah is just learning to walk, and is far from steady on her feet. Any ideas of what might be good for her to do/see?

TIA,
Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)

August Mom
07-15-2004, 10:11 AM
I'm not familiar with King's Dominion (King's Island, yes), but I just wanted to share my recent experience of taking an under 2-year old to an amusement park. If she can't really walk, she probably can't ride anything in kiddie land. A lot of the rides where we were stated that the child must be able to walk on his/her own to the ride. Then, there's the climbing into the ride aspect. We took DS when he was 22 months and he had a blast and rode all day. However, his 15 month old cousin who went had no interest in riding (had just started to walk himself) and stayed in his stroller all day just taking all the rides in.

If you wanted to, I think you could probably take her on a couple of rides where adults can ride too. Then, you can carry her on the ride and make sure she's okay. Perhaps one of those slow boat rides, the train, antique cars. You'll really have to play it by ear, I think, and see how she reacts. There are usually shows with singing and dancing that she might like (both indoors and outdoors) and that generally aren't too long.

darebear
07-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Unfornately there is not much there for her. We were there last week for my 4 year olds birthday. I just went to get my map to see:

-Meet Blue- He has his own house and there are only certain times he is there, it will be listed in the map
-Carousel
-Blue Ridge Tollway- antique cars
-Scooby-Doo & The Haunted Mansion- Only if she is not scared of the dark, my 4 year is petrified of the dark and monsters, and he loved it. That would be more for you, but she can come with.
-Water Park- There are kid areas

Most of the rides in Kidville, they require kids to be able to go by themselves.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Allison

zuzu
07-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks, Chandra and Allison! :)

I didn't think there would be much for a child her age to her to do, but now I have some ideas to look into. She might enjoy a short show and the boat/train/other slower rides. She was on a carousel a few weeks ago and liked that. I didn't know they had a water park too. Luckily she is into people watching, and will hopefully enjoy seeing all the activity. We weren't planning to take her to an amusement park until she was older and would be able to enjoy more of it, but because it's an office gathering, I decided we should make an appearance.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)

hez
07-15-2004, 02:19 PM
Thanks for posting your thoughts in general on this-- we have a King's Island company day coming up in the fall when DS will be just over a year. He may be 'really' walking by then, but probably not ready to ride. It'll be good to have our expectations set right. Disney World was easy a couple weeks ago-- he was able to ride with us on almost everything we wanted to do at Magic Kingdom.