PDA

View Full Version : toddler parenting books

jstevens
07-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Need advice on a good toddler parenting/discipline book. For reference purposes and also for advice on discipline and understanding the infamous "toddler stage". Thanks!

Karenn
07-15-2004, 12:47 PM
I've been surprised to find that I like Harvey Karp's The Happiest Toddler on the Block. From the reviews and various comments I'd heard it didn't sound like my cup of tea, but thanks to a discussion here, I was motiviated to read the book and liked it much more than I expected.

He does have this whole "you can understand your toddler if you think of them as a caveman" theme that he runs through the book which I thought was pretty goofy, but when I was able to look beyond the goofy theme, I found a number of useful ideas and insights which I could apply to my toddler. There were a few other of his ideas that I had to throw out the window too, but I think that's true of any parenting book. There were enough good things in the book that I felt like I wanted to have it on my bookshelf rather than just check it out from the library.

The other book that I've often referred to is Burton White's The First Three Years of Life.

emmiem
07-15-2004, 01:42 PM
I did not like the Happiest Toddler on the Block book for us. We can use part of the technique without feeling like we are whining ourselves. It does depend on your child, of course. One book I loved is The Mighty Toddler by Robin Barker. Both my husband and I have read it over a few times. It has gotten us through tandrums, hitting, and other toddler woes. It has even helped with how to get our 3 year old to stay in her bed at night.
Michele

Karenn
07-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Michele,
I totally have to agree with you on on the idea that using "cave man talk" with your toddler makes you sound like you're whining yourself. I remember reading that in the other thread and then when I read the book thinking "Ewww, yeah, I see what she means!" That's part of the book that I threw out. :)

JacksMommy
07-16-2004, 01:32 PM
I've mostly liked Dr. Sears' Discipline Book. I like his emphasis on trying to avoid things like tantrums by not creating situations in which they are likely to happen and reminding you that baby is still a baby and doesn't understand things the way we do. He's also got some good advice, although occasionally I wind up feeling guilty as though we're having struggles because I'm not a patient enough/bonded enough/understanding enough. Still, if you can cast that aside, he's got a nice, child-centered approach. I want to get some other books as well, though.
Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/25/02

sntm
07-16-2004, 04:31 PM
I haven't read either yet, but I've also heard great things about How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk and 1,2,3 Magic. Have the first on order, so I'll let you know.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03