PDA

View Full Version : OT: Military Mobilization and IRAQ -- How does one cope!?!

ginalc
07-15-2004, 10:45 AM
My younger brother is in the reserves and his unit has been activated to go to Iraq. I haven't seen him for almost 2 years and I want to see him before he leaves the states. (it's a 17 hr. drive by car)

Once someone begins mobilization, do they have "days off" to themselves? I spoke with him last night again and he says he'll know more in a few days.

I don't know if I should plan to visit or what to do. My older brother is also military but is stationed state-side and he thinks it would be crazy for me to try to visit with my little ones (they are a handful and don't travel well!) and also says that there isn't much free time once you've been activated so flying him home isn't an option.

I just feel so bad. I live in my own safe environment and forget that our soldiers are overseas for our sake. How does one cope!?!

My younger brother did say that he'll be heading to Ft. Bragg, NC next. I know there are many military family members here on the boards, so I was hoping for words of experience and wisdom. When at Ft. Bragg, would I be able to see him?

gina, mom to 3

ismommy
07-15-2004, 11:38 AM
You may be able to see him at Bragg. What unit is he with, what is his job? If you know these things, you might be able to figure out how much time he'll have. If he's an infantryman, he'll have more time than a networking engineer, for example. Also, you should find out how long he'll be at Bragg. If it's more than a week, say two, he has a chance of a day off.
One thing to consider, though, he's preparing logistically and mentally for a yearlong deployment. If he does have a day off, you have to be sure he's going to want to spend it with you and your kids. Imagine yourself running around, getting ready for a two-week vacation and your brother showing up the day before you leave to "hang".
There is no doubt that he needs, and will need your support. You just need to make sure that support comes in a welcome form. I have seen family members send home videos of support on CD or DVD (The soldiers have DVD players and Laptops)- this is something that servicemembers can hold on to and look at in difficult times. Nothing is going to be as effective as face-time, but it sounds like the time for that kind of support may have passed.
Best-
Rob- (Helene's Husband & Senior Coorespondent for Army Times)

Helene
mommy to Isabella
baby x EDD 1/11/05

amp
07-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Awww...I love it when hubbys in the know come here to help us out! It's sweet of you to take time out to do so! Thanks!

Gina - No advice, but thinking of you and hoping you get a chance to see your brother before he goes. Hugs to you!

ETA: And I forgot. Gina - tell him he's doing good. Thank him and tell him to thank the others for all that they do in service to our country. We love them!

ginalc
07-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Thank you Rob and Andrea. My older brother is a Lt. Colonel and when we're out and about people stop him frequently to thank him for his service. The support throughout our country for soldiers is impressive.

The thing is, I didn't even know my younger brother had re-enlisted! He'd gotten out of the reserves 8 years ago and neglected to inform me that he'd signed up again in April (the little Sh#t!). I usually talk to him once a month but he never mentioned re-enlisting. Felt as if he needed to be available since he had good training and service time in.

He should be at Bragg for a few weeks. Maybe I can fly out with my Mom (without the kids) and at least sit down for dinner.

Thank you for the ideas about the CD and DVD. That really helps! :)

gina

starrynight
07-15-2004, 03:31 PM
We haven't been stationed at Ft. Bragg so I will leave that question for someone else. :)

As for if he will have days off or not, it really depends on the unit and his superiors. My dh said here some guys got a whole week off before going and some didn't get any days at all. There is some special treatment in some units unfortunatly.

You might not be able to visit for long, especially with the kids but if it's very important to you to visit then I would still go.

And coping, well you take it one day at a time!

ginalc
07-15-2004, 06:12 PM
Thank you, Jackie. My GF called earlier today and offered to take the kids if we fly for a brief visit. It might work after all.

These boards are a wonderful way to share and gather support. Thank you all. :)

gina