PDA

View Full Version : Bellybutton problem

jd11365
07-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Kayla's "innie" has become more of an "outie" lately. When she was born I was told she had a little hernia, which was supposedly normal and would fix itself. Everything seemed normal up until recenly when she started to pop out. I feel like "a woman without a country" in that I don't trust my old ped and I'm waiting to get in with the new one. I basically begged and pleaded on the phone for the new ped to accept us (he's not taking new patients) and they gave me an appt. for mid September. What do you think I should do...if anything?

TIA!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

amp
07-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Jamie - I have absolutely no medical knowledge or expertise whatsoever in this arena, but Jake's belly button also sticks out a lot nowadays. I even mentioned to DH that we should ask the ped about it when we go in at the end of Aug, but it never occured to me to do something about it earlier. So I hope the answer is wait for the appt. and don't worry about it. If not, I'll have to get my rear in gear and call ours. Jake just doesn't seem at all bothered by it or seem to have any discomfort. I mentioned to DH that herniated bb weren't uncommon, but it just didn't occur to me I might need to find out about it sooner. Hmmmm...

jd11365
07-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Kayla doesn't seem bothered by it or seem to have any discomfort either, but you know...one of those things that make you wonder. I called the new ped...the one I don't have a 1st appt. with until the middle of September, and they said they couldn't offer anything until they've seen her first to know her history. So, I called my current/old ped (who I don't like) and they (of course) said to bring her in because something like that needs to be seen. What should I do?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

amp
07-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Eek! I can't help. But, I KNOW someone here will know the answer to this. Also, look online/google for herniated belly button or something. Gotta go get my baby up who just woke. I'll check back.

heidi_timms
07-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Sorry, I'm not helping, but...

I just wanted to say that I had an outie as a child and HATED it. I wasn't in any sort of pain nor did I have problems, but I constantly was teased as a child. I'm not even sure how I got the outie. At some point, my belly button turned to a innie on it's own.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

Torey
07-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Okay, so you guys don't have to worry too much.:)My DD has a fairly large hernia (which sticks out more when she is walking, yelling, etc.). She also loves to push on it and make it smaller (which totally freaks me out). Anyway, we have had several doctors look at her hernia in the past year. First of all, most surgeons recommend waiting until a baby is 2 or 3 to do surgery. The abdominal muscles are stronger then so it is less likely to reoccur. Secondly, they can heal on their own by the time they are 2 or 3. Unless they are really large (like DD's which will probably need surgery) doctors recommend waiting several years to see if they close on their own. The only real problem that can occur with a hernia at this age is if a piece of intestine gets stuck. If this happens your baby will be in extreme pain and you should go to the emergency room immediately. However this rarely happens. Bottom line - while you should have it checked out it's nothing that is serious at this time. It's probably only become more noticable b/c your babes are walking around and this puts more pressure on it. HTH.

jd11365
07-16-2004, 07:30 PM
That makes sense because I just started noticing it and she just started walking! Ah ha...a connection. So this tells me that so far the hernia she had when she was born has not healed but probably will by 2 or 3... I guess that makes me feel better since I'm without a ped until mid-September. I was thinking it was something that needed to be checked out immediately, now I feel a little better waiting. Thank you!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03