PDA

View Full Version : OT - When do you pay your bills?

Marisa6826
07-16-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm normally pretty good about writing the bills out around the 27th or 28th of the month, but lately I've been pretty bad. I didn't send them out till the 7th of the month this time and now things are getting screwy.

I don't have everything on automatic payments because we need to transfer money between accounts.

Just wondering if I'm the only procrastinator! ;)

-m

amp
07-16-2004, 04:00 PM
I pay ours after DH's paycheck each month, so twice a month. It allows me to hold certain bills that aren't due, until his other check comes. Unfortunately, we sometimes live paycheck to paycheck, so that's how it has to work.

ETA: So I usually write them at the beginning/end of a month and in the middle, around the 15 or so.

momma_boo
07-16-2004, 04:07 PM
I'm one of the folks in the "Other" category.

DH and My paydates are on alternating weeks, so I'm basically paying bills once a week. I do it all at work, so I actually have an Excel spreadsheet where I "schedule" which bills to pay with which paycheck depending on the due date. I've often thought that if something happened to me, DH would be screwed b/c he hasn't paid a bill since we got married.

But that aside, Marisa, you gotta give yourself a break! Cut yourself some slack considering how much you have/had going on lately!

bunnisa
07-16-2004, 06:57 PM
I selected "other" because we pay all of our bills online before their individual due dates. It's a total breeze and requires virtually no thought. We just check up on things once or twice a month to make sure all's well.

I am so, SO grateful for online bill pay. DH & I have the same problem -- when we were younger, we used to forget to send payments, though we had the money in the bank. How did life ever exist before the internet?

edited to add: we have auto transfers scheduled from the acct that DH's paycheck deposits into to the acct our bills draw from.

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric
6/03

jbowman
07-16-2004, 09:00 PM
Marisa--

Have you tried on-line banking? I think it's fabulous! It allows you to pay your bills easily AND transfer money between accounts. DH and I love it! It has saved us time and money (on stamps).

jamierush
07-16-2004, 09:30 PM
I always pay mine on the first of the month. I get paid once a month and I pay the house bills when I pay my personal bills.

LD92599
07-16-2004, 09:39 PM
I chose once a week because I hate for the bills to pile up...but truth be told..there's a bunch of recurring bills that are automatically paid on the 1st and 15th. Since payday is twice/month, i tend to write the checks out as they come in and mail them on payday...i hate hate hate to transfer $$ to cover bills, even though i'd be putting it back come payday!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

wagner36
07-16-2004, 09:39 PM
I voted other too. I only get paid once a month, on the 10th of the month, and I'm our only income. It was annoying to get paid once a month at first (especially on the 10th!), but now I'm used to it - less balancing!

I usually sit down around the 10th and balance everything, pay bills that don't automatically deduct, chart out spending on Quicken, transfer $ to and from savings and investments, etc. I've set up as much stuff as I can to be automatically deducted from either checking or savings, so then I just have to reconcile the #'s once a month or so. I also pay a lot of bills online - I find it so much easier than finding the checkbook, stamps, address labels, etc, and writing everything out.

ETA: But I'm a huge procrastinator too! Sometimes I miss a month or two, and then balancing is a complete nightmare, so I put it off as long as humanly possible...

tippy
07-17-2004, 04:46 AM
I voted as soon as I get them but that is based on wether or not I have the $$$ in the bank to cover them. Otherwise they go in a nice little pile on the side of my desk and when ds get's paid (every two weeks) I will pay them all at once. I use on line banking! It's the best!

houseof3boys
07-19-2004, 09:42 AM
I get them scheduled in Wachovia billpay the day I get them. I am awful about letting things pile up so this way, I get them done and don't have to worry about it hanging over my head!

Now if I could only remember to transfer the money to the account they come out of before they are due..... :P