PDA

View Full Version : My dad's not out of the woods yet (many heart complications)

jubilee
07-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the well wishes for my dad as he had heart surgery! On Wednesday morning he went in for surgery to have a double bypass and valve replacement (from a pig's heart!). During surgery they also decided to replace his ascending aeorta. Then after surgery, he started having a lot of bleeding from his heart... so they took him back for a second surgery. That was very stressful! Now they have the bleeding stopped, but have my dad on a temporary pacemaker. The doc said there is a 50% chance my dad will get a real pacemaker in the next few days. My dad's looking really good right now despite everything he's been through. He will be in ICU for a few more days, and if he doesn't get the pacemaker he'll be out of the hospital in a week.

My mom was a mess, so I am glad I was there to support her during the surgery. I think we've got everything set up for when my dad goes home. Since I live 3 hours away, it is a bit hard to be there for them.

I'm glad to say that all has been well at home while I was gone. Logan was fine without me! But everyone was happy to have me back home.

Like I said, my dad's not out of the woods yet- but I think everything will be okay!

jd11365
07-16-2004, 07:35 PM
I've been thinking of you... I'm so happy he is doing well, and though he is not out of the woods, all you can do right now is think positive. Is your mom ok while you're home?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

COElizabeth
07-16-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks for updating us. I also was wondering today how he was doing. I hope that things go smoothly from now on and that his recovery is complete and quick! Don't forget to take care of yourself, too, with everything that is going on.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Julie,
I'm pecking one handed or I'd type more, but please know he is in our thoughts and prayers, thank you for updating we've been thinking about you all!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

barbarhow
07-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Julie-so glad your Dad is doing better. I hope that he continues to progress well.
And glad to know that Logan was fine without you! So wonderful to be welcomed home, I bet.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

LD92599
07-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Julie:

Glad to hear the update on your dad and it's good to know he's heading in the right direction! We'll be thinking about you and your family!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

jubilee
07-17-2004, 04:25 AM
Thanks for asking about my mom! She is in good spirits now. If my dad needs the pacemaker I will be going back, but otherwise I think they will be fine without me. The only real struggles for my mom are getting around in the hospital (she needs to have someone push her in a wheelchair) and missing my dad while she is at home.

They have been married 42 years! They really need each other, and can't wait until my dad's home again.

toomanystrollers
07-17-2004, 10:00 AM
I'll be thinking about your dad & your family too. I hope he's home soon :)

sugarsnappea
07-17-2004, 06:13 PM
I didn't see your original post. I am glad to hear that your Dad is doing better. :)