PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cruises charge for babies?

jd11365
07-16-2004, 07:51 PM
So I'm checking into something special to do for our 5th anniversary and the thought of a cruise pops into my head. Did you know they charge for infants/toddlers? Am I crazy for thinking they wouldn't? They don't really eat much food...if any for those babies who are less than 6 months old, and they don't really take up much space... We would get a 3rd person discount, but I didn't realize my 14 month old was going to cost a full ticket...

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Momof3Labs
07-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Some of them do, and some of them charge a much lower rate. I looked into this a few months ago and can't remember who charges less, but there are definitely lines who do.

Elilly
07-16-2004, 09:03 PM
I too recently encountered this as my immediate and extended family are taking a cruise to Alaska next summer. I'd have a 2 1/2 year old and a not yet one year old and they would both be full price!!
I wonder if this is a way to discourage brining young children? Seems a little discriminatory to me.

LD92599
07-16-2004, 09:36 PM
Definitely check Disney....from what we found they tend to charge a kid fare rather than 3rd person fare. It was $99 for DS..granted, he was 7 months old when we went! But I think it's $99 for kids under 2 or 3. Also, we've always gone that same week and this is the first year we're not going (QM2 next summer instead!).

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

Tondi G
07-16-2004, 09:36 PM
YUP... bummer ain't it! I think it's only the Disney cruise line that charges only port charges for infants! I suppose they are still occupying the cabin and if they are eating solids they will be eating. They figure if you want to cruise with your baby you will pay! I think we are just so used to hotels that have kids stay free programs and ammusement parks that let kiddos in free till they are over two! it is usually a reduced price for a 3rd or 4th person in a cabin so if it's 700 per adult it's a little cheaper at 500 for a child.... when you really think about it... it isn't THAT bad... especially if they offer baby sitting and you can enjoy a meal out just the two of you!!!!!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

flagger
07-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Yep, some lines charge a full third person rate. Be thankful you are not a single passenger because some lines charge you 150%-200% because they expect double occupancy in their staterooms.

RCCL out of Galveston is not charging a full third person rate next January, but Celebrity to Alaska in two months is. She could have gone for just port charges on HAL, but we got a better deal on Celebrity.

While Disney has many fans, when you price their cruises for two people plus port charges for all three, you might find you can get on another line for much cheaper. Disney cruises are not exactly what I would call cheap.

peasprout
07-18-2004, 09:53 PM
We went on Norweigen anc they only charged port fees for DD. She was under 1 at the time.

JP