PDA

View Full Version : Secrets to getting your child to talk instead of sign?

kristine_elen
07-17-2004, 01:15 PM
I love that Jack knows and uses so many signs, but how do I transition him into actually using verbal words for words he already signs? Example: I'm trying to teach him to say please, so when I say, "Say please," he eagerly signs it. I don't want to tell him he's wrong, but I'm not sure how to transition over to the verbal side.
Anyone had experience with this?

JElaineB
07-17-2004, 01:25 PM
I'm just going on the assumption that when DS can physically say a word he will say it, even it he knows the sign. We didn't even start signing until he was about 18 months and had about 30 spoken words already. He picked up some signs for words he could already say (and uses both sign and spoken word) and also know signs for some words he can't say. As long as he continues to add to his spoken vocabulary, I'm not worrying about exactly which words he can say vs. which words he can sign.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Momof3Labs
07-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Colin has gotten more verbal recently, and now has about 30-35 spoken words, plus about 50 signs. He still uses the signs a lot, even for words that he can speak. We haven't worried about it - when he wants to talk, he'll talk. I'm not sure that there is anything you can do except keep on talking to him. Boys tend to take their sweet time in the talking area, so this definitely doesn't sound like a developmental issue!

egoldber
07-17-2004, 03:12 PM
When he's ready to talk, he will. There is very little you can do, and I honestly wouldn't try to press it. Speech is a physical developmental milestone, and just like walking, babies do it in when they are ready. If you are worried that signing may be holding him back from speaking, the research shows this is just not a problem. And I can attest from my experience with DD as a late talker, that knowing a sign for a word did not deter her from saying it when she was ready.

HTH,

kijip
07-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Since your son is 18 months old he may not have the ability to speak as well as he can sign. Without the signs he could understand you but not communicate with you. Boys often talk late. By 2 years you will hear more words. I have worked with kids, mainly boys, who did not start talking until after 2 years.

himom
07-17-2004, 10:10 PM
I can't offer any help, but I think our experience may be comparable. I didn't start earnestly teaching DS sign until he was about 15 months. He was already speaking a few words. Now it's weird -- they are things I know he can say, but he signs them instead.

I'm starting to wonder a bit about the benefits of signing. I guess it's easier for them to sign then speak, so they don't speak?

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

egoldber
07-17-2004, 10:41 PM
For words they know a sign for, some kids prefer to sign those words, and may for a long time. My DD did that with a few words, like please, milk and eat. But think of all the words that he does NOT know a sign for, but yet is not saying. It is not signing that is keeping him from saying those words, it is just that he is not yet ready.

Just think, the milestone for language development for 18 months is only 10 words. And very very limited spoken language is extremely common until age 2. But somewhere between 18 and 36 months, spoken language really takes off. That is a very wide range, because it happens at different times for different kids. And when it happens, you will be simply astounded at the speed with which your child goes from almost no or few words to speaking many, many words. When he's ready, it will happen. :)

HTH,

cinrein
07-19-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks for posting this, as we are having the same issue. Anna knows many signs and uses them a lot. She also tries to say nearly any word that she doesn't know a sign for, though her pronunciation is not the best (only her mother would know what she's saying). She never tries to speak a word that she knows a sign for and has even "regressed" to using signs for some words that she used to say verbally. I wish I knew what when on inside that little head!

Cindy and Anna February 2003