PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had gender determination change at a subsequent ultrasound?

smilequeen
07-18-2004, 03:24 PM
I have had 2 (well 3, but the first was at 6w5d) u/s for this baby. The first, at 19 weeks, the baby wouldn't let us anywhere near that region and they had me come back in 2 weeks for a second gender check. At 21 weeks she could get in there, but baby really wouldn't open its legs wide enough to be sure...BUT the tech said she'd put her money on a boy and to come back again this week, at 22 weeks and she'd check again.

It really did look like a boy to me. And we are just so happy to actually BE pregnant and that the baby is healthy...we don't care either way, BUT we want to know. Of course, now we are feeling like it's a boy and we are getting pretty excited about it :) (although a girl would be awesome too).

So...what do you think the chances are they'll switch from boy to girl on Weds?

llcoddington
07-18-2004, 06:18 PM
I asked this same question after my 20 week ultrasound! I was scared that I was going to have a closet full of pink (from the MILs!) and a little boy. With Lauren, the tech saw three little lines and confirmed that those lines indicated a girl. I was worried up until the doctor said, "It's a girl!" In fact, my midwife did another ultrasound just to be sure! (She knew I was stressed. Now, I am not so sure why I was all stressed, but I was!)

I think that if the tech can actually point to something, then you are pretty sure to have whatever they say it is. Sometimes if they say it's a girl because they don't see boy parts, they get it wrong.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

Karenn
07-18-2004, 07:57 PM
I have a couple of friends who ended up with little boys and were expecting little girls, but they didn't find out until the delivery room. :) I have another friend who was told "probably" boy at her 12 week US and then 99.9% certain girl at her 20 week. My US tech (same as my friend's) said 99.9% girl for us too- we'll see in a couple of months if she's right!.

Let us know what you find out!

Marisa6826
07-18-2004, 08:27 PM
It happened to Norah with Nathan. The techs were convinced he was a girl till about 38w!!!

I know of a couple other women that it happened to as well.

It's kind of tough telling if it's a boy because it can be the umbilical cord that they're mis-interpreting.

The only way to know for certain is that good old amnio ;)

-m

khakismom
07-19-2004, 01:20 AM
The only stories I have heard--and it happened to three people I know--is where they were told it was a girl and it turned out to be a boy. From what I have heard, girls are harder to predict. Whereas if you see a penis, you know it's going to be a boy.

momma_boo
07-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Funny. I heard the exact opposite. That if they definitively see three lines for the girl, then it's definitely a girl. But if they see a penis, there's always a chance that it's a shadow, cord, etc.

Hmmm...