PDA

View Full Version : So, what's the next question I'll get sick of hearing?

KrisM
07-18-2004, 09:40 PM
When I was pregnant, everyone asked variations of "You're still here (at work)?" or "When's your due date?". DH and I worked together, so between the two of us, we heard those A LOT!

Now that I have a 2.5 month old, it's "Is he sleeping through the night?". Ugh! I am so tired of that question! My answer is no, but he's a good sleeper. He goes to bed at 8:00 (awake) and falls asleep on his own, wakes 2 or 3 times to eat, goes immediately back to sleep, and gets up for the day about 6-7 AM. I am very happy with that! He's done this for 6 weeks or so. Do people really have 2.5 month olds who sleep 10-11 hours without eating? Maybe they do, but I don't!

Once he's sleeping through the night, what question will drive me nuts? If I can anticipate, maybe I can come up with some good answers!

Kris

JLiebCamm
07-18-2004, 09:50 PM
It will probably be, "Is he eating solids yet?" with "Is he walking yet?" not far behind!

Raidra
07-18-2004, 09:55 PM
I'd just say, "Yes, he is." Sleeping through the night is 5 hours straight anyway, so he pretty much is. :)

I always got sick of people making contradictory statements.. like some people would think he was huge, and others would think he was tiny. Or people would swear he looked like me, and others that he looked like my husband.

KrisM
07-18-2004, 10:02 PM
My mom and grandma have asked when the solids will start, but I think that's more because they know it's different now than when they had infants. I can't wait for everyone else to ask, too!

redhookmom
07-18-2004, 10:26 PM
If you are nursing: Are you STILL nursing?

Is he walking, talking, eating, sleeping, using the potty? Oh my the list goes on and on..

By the way, when can we expect a little brother or sister for you ds?

Rachels
07-18-2004, 10:42 PM
The best answer to "Is he sleeping through the night" is YES. Either that, or, "Of course not! He's a baby!" Either way, it'll shut 'em up. I have no idea why people ask that question. Grrr.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/2/character39.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

stella
07-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Is he sitting up and then starting around 9 months (really!) comes the biggie:

Is he walking???

And one of mine walked at 13 months and the other at 15 months, so it went on a long, long time!!

I really think people just can't think of anything else to say!

jubilee
07-18-2004, 11:55 PM
#1 when are you going to have another baby?
#2 is he saying mama yet?
#3 is he walking yet?
#4 now you need a girl, when are you going to have another baby?
#5 it's best to have kids close together in age, when are you going to have another baby?

jbowman
07-18-2004, 11:56 PM
Look out, because pretty soon people will start asking, "is he teething????" Not as bad as "is s/he sleeping through the night?" but also annoying!

ETA: when people keep asking me those stupid milestone questions, I always say, "no, but she just finished reading 'War & Peace'...in the original Russian." That usually shuts them up.

August Mom
07-19-2004, 12:04 AM
I hate those annoying question. DH and I both have brown hair and DS has very blond hair, so I always get the question: "Where did that blond hair come from?" People probably don't mean it that way, but I always wonder if they are insinuating that I had an affair or something. I usually say "from a recessive gene."

Anyway, other questions I have had:

Is he sitting up yet?
Is he rolling over?
Is he crawling yet?
Is he pulling up yet?
Is he walking yet?
Is he teething?
How many teeth does he have?
Is he a good sleeper? (This is a topic that continues on and on).
He's so small. Doesn't he like to eat?
What are you feeding him? He's so big. (Directed at someone other than me and DS)
What is he eating now?
When are you going to start solids?
Are you still nursing?
How long are you going to nurse him?
Does he take good naps?
Who do you think he looks like?

KrisM
07-19-2004, 08:36 AM
That's funny. I have very dark brown hair and DH has light brown hair. So far, DS's hair has a lot of red in it. Fortunately, I was the one pregnant, and otherwise, DS looks just like DH, so while we get the same question you do, it's just amazement, I think.

Kris

Raidra
07-19-2004, 10:26 AM
I have red hair and my parents have brown and blond hair, so everyone always asked us where my red hair came from. My dad taught me a few funny ones:

"It came with my head!"
"It came in the mail."
or a funnier version of that..
"The mailman brought it!"

ETA.. you could always tell people that you dye it that color. :)

californiagirl
07-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Is he a good baby?

Plus, you will discover that "Is he sleeping through the night?" can be made worse by being phrased as "You look tired, he must not be sleeping well" or "You look so alert, he must be a great sleeper". Plus, many babies don't sleep through the night until a year, and most people don't keep track of baby ages well, so you have a looong time to go with this one question.

AvasMama
07-19-2004, 12:24 PM
"Just wait until you have another one!" -- I get this one constantly as I refuse to complain about Ava.

Ex:
Nosy Person: Is she sleeping through the night?
Me: She's a great sleeper!
NP: Just wait until you have another one!

or...
NP: You're lucky to have such an easy baby.
Me: Thanks! She's lots of fun.
NP: Just wait until you have another one!

The funny thing is that we aren't entirely sure we will be having another one, but I don't bother getting into that :)

Robyn & Ava

llcoddington
07-19-2004, 01:33 PM
You will be hearing the question "Is he sleeping through the night" for many more months! People still ask this about my daughter and then follow it up with "Well, she should be by now!" Makes me mad. It's not like I haven't noticed that DD isn't sleeping through the night. Though technically, I suppose she is if 5 hours constitutes sleeping through the night.

And, yes, some babies sleep 10-11 (or more) hours in a row at 2 months. I seem to be blessed (or cursed!) with IRL friends who have these babies!

Next, you will hear, "Is he eating solids?" And, if you have chosen to wait until 6 months or if he is refusing solids, then you will hear "Shouldn't he be eating solids by now?"

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

millerpjm
07-19-2004, 01:58 PM
You have only just begun a lifetime of questions from generally speaking, well-meaning people.

Let's see, after sleeping through the night comes, "Is he rolling over/sitting/have any teeth/crawling/standing/walking", and my personal favorite, " So, when's the next one?!?!?"

Enjoy and keep smiling:)

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas, 2/3/03

August Mom
07-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Someone told me that I should say I'm a natural blond but I dye my hair brown. :)

August Mom
07-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Oh, yes. That's a good one - "Is he a good baby?" And one I never really know how to answer. Which minute are you talking about? LOL