PDA

View Full Version : Waaay OT - What do scallops taste like???

Judegirl
07-18-2004, 10:42 PM
I'm considering a scallop recipe, but I don't like fishy tastes at all. I don't consider shrimp and lobster fishy...are scallops closer to that, or do they taste like most fish?

TIA!!

Jude

COElizabeth
07-18-2004, 10:45 PM
LOL. I think the taste and texture are more similar to shrimp and lobster than to fish. Scallops to me are a little "slimier" than shrimp, lobster, and crab, though. I like them, but in more moderation than shrimp and lobster.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

Judegirl
07-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Egads...slimy like oysters?

Thank you!

pritchettzoo
07-18-2004, 10:55 PM
They're not fishy unless they've gone bad. Their texture is more of an undercooked lobster/shrimp. If you have a P.F. Chang's restaurant nearby, try their scallops--my all-time favorite scallop dish!

Anna

Imperia
07-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Scallops are a shellfish and thus don't really taste fishy. They taste similar to crab in my opinion and have a fvery firm flesh. They tend to be sweet. I don't think they are slimy at all one they have been cooked. I say go for it, if you like shellfish you should be fine.

Imperia

August Mom
07-18-2004, 11:57 PM
They are shellfish and therefore more like shrimp/lobster than fish, but they are softer and a bit chewier than shrimp. I have had frozen scallops or scallops from chains (i.e. Red Lobster) taste a bit fishy, but fresh scallops prepared well are excellent and not fishy-tasting in my experience.

COElizabeth
07-19-2004, 12:35 AM
No, not like oysters. :) August Mom's description of scallops as "softer and chewier" was better than mine. I do not like the texture of oysters, but I can definitely eat scallops.

One other thing to be aware of is that I think there are a lot of fake scallops out there, and those are made from fish. I just saw some news report about it the other day!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

tippy
07-19-2004, 02:10 AM
Yup to all but make sure you dont overcook them or they will get rubbery/tough.

alkagift
07-19-2004, 11:41 AM
As a former Florida girl scalloper, I'll tell you what I know. Elizabeth is right about the "fake" scallops being out there--they're known as "plugs" because they are essentially sections of shark or ray that have been cut into the round shape of a sea scallop. Real sea scallops are off white, not super white.

Scallops have a lot of water content so they are slippery raw, but not slimy to eat when cooked! The large Sea scallops are great grilled or sauteed, or even broiled. Most widely available scallop recipes call for sea scallops. The small "bay" scallops are in season now (season starts the weekend of July 4 in Fla) and are sweeter and better, in my opinion. The "bays" are more delicate than the "sea" type and you can overcook them really fast--like superfresh shrimp! Don't buy bay scallops that have been previously frozen. They go to mush.

Have fun!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/

tippy
07-19-2004, 09:28 PM
I'm not the original poster but thanks for your post! I learned something very valuble here! I love scallops! I'm going to run out and get some bay's tomorrow! (I usually get the sea for some reason).

ETA...HMMM what exactly is a Florida girl scalloper anyway???

lizajane
07-19-2004, 09:42 PM
they kinda taste like whatever you cook 'em in, IMO. i love 'em. not too fishy for you, i wouldn't think.

Judegirl
07-20-2004, 01:38 AM
Thanks everyone - because of your replies, I went for it and had scallops parmigiana tonight. Yum! I'm now a fan. (I bought bay scallops.)

:)
Jude

tippy
07-20-2004, 02:01 AM
sounds yummy. Would you mind sharing your recipe?

alkagift
07-20-2004, 10:35 AM
I used to live in Florida and when scalloping season would start, a group of friends take the weekend, rent a house and a boat (with a canopy for protection) and go out into the shallows of the gulf coast and snorkel for scallops until you're pooped. The water is crystal clear and about 10 feet deep, so it's wonderful--you bring lunch so it's a full day. At the late afternoon, you get your scallop limit and then you sit under the boat canopy, still anchored out in the water, shucking and drinking your beverage of choice (non-alcoholic for the most part, particularly the driver). Then you go back in, sit on the balcony of your rented house, have some wine and cook your scallops until the sun goes down. It's great--and so much more relaxing than clamming, in my opinion!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Judegirl
07-21-2004, 02:32 AM
Sure. It was sooo quick & simple...

I used:

1 lb of bay scallops (the recipe called for 3/4 lb scallops)
1 cup fresh parmesan cheese
4 cups raw spinach (I used baby spinach)
1/4 cup white wine (use one you like)

Pre-heat oven to 350. Rinse scallops and place, in one layer, in a broiler-safe baking dish. Toss with wine. Bake for 8-10 minutes (15 if using larger sea scallops.)

Saute spinach in a little bit of olive oil for 2-3 minutes.

Remove scallops from over and turn on broiler. Sprinkle scallops with cheese. When broiler is very hot, place dish in broiler for 1 minute or until cheese is slightly brown. Serve scallops over spinach.

I made a side of lemon-pepper zucchini with it. (Cookbook suggestion...went well.)

Jude

tippy
07-25-2004, 12:12 AM
wow! sounds like a nice way to spend the weekend! Thanks for sharing