PDA

View Full Version : Getting back to "normal" after a vacation?

jk3
07-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Vacations always seem to through DS out of whack which is why I dread going away + especially returning home. We had a great routine prior to a week long vacation: 1-1/2 hour nap in the morning + one in hte afternoon + DS easily went down to sleep on his own for the night. We returned home a few days ago + he is an absolute nightmare. On vacation we didn't let him cry in the PNP since we didn't want him to disturb anyone else's vacation + he generally napped in the stroller since he won't nap in the PNP. We let him cry it out the last 2 nights (he cried for about 10 minutes each night before sleeping for 10 hours) but naps are an entirely different story. I think he's out of practice at putting himself to sleep on his own. I don't want to enable this by taking him for a walk in the stroller or riding around in the car since I don't want this to continue but I also feel badly for him since he's so exhausted but can't settle down to nap in his crib. I don't like to let him cry for more than ten minutes to this is tough. Any suggestions?

Jenn
DS 6/03

octmom
07-19-2004, 10:44 AM
No advice, just sympathy. We're just back from two weeks of vacation and have no routine whatsoever right now. Today is my first day back at work and DS's first day back at daycare for the full day, so I am hoping that we can start to figure out something for the days at least. Nights are another story, but I am hoping we can resolve our issues there soon too.

Good luck!

Jerilyn

octmom
DS, October 2003

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

HelenD
07-19-2004, 11:55 AM
No advice, just wanted you to know that vacation (or living nightmare as I recall it) did much the same thing to my DD. She did get back into her routine fairly quickly (by a week all was well again). You just have to make a concerted effort to go about the routine as before almost as if you are creating it all over again.

Good Luck.

I've got another vacation (living nightmare) in September to look forward to. (But this time all DH's family won't be around, so perhaps it will be easier).

H.