PDA

View Full Version : ISO Tried and True Chili Recipe (Veggie or not!)

brigmaman
07-19-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions for party food. We've got lots of salads planned along with veggie and meat chili. We have one recipe for veggie chili that I've been making for a while, but I've never made a meat chili. I know there are tons of recipes online, but I'd like one that's tried and true!
I plan to keep the chili in crock pots, so slow cooker recipes would be fine, too.
Thanks!

luvbeinmama
07-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Here are a couple threads with a lot of recipes:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=43049&mesg_id=43049&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=89587&mesg_id=89587&listing_type=search

Tondi G
07-19-2004, 02:08 PM
I posted this one before, it's a super easy... QUICK and YUMMY recipe!

1 pound ground beef or Turkey
2 15 oz cans black beans (no salt added preferred)
1 cup medium or hot chunky salsa
2 8 oz cans no salt added tomato sauce
1 tablespoon of chili seasoning mix

Optional:
Sour cream
Shredded Cheddar
Chopped onions

Cook meat in a large saucepan over medium high heat until browned. Stir well so it crumbles. Drain if necessary.

While meat cooks, drain and mash 1 can of means. Add mashed beans, undrained beans, salsa, tomato sauce, and seasoning mix to saucepan; stir well. Cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Spoon into serving bowls. if desired top with sourcream, shreeded cheese, and chopped onions.

Yield: 7 (one cup) servings.

Nutrition info Per serving (using ground round): Calories 236 (15% from fat)– Fat 3.9g (sat 1.3g)– Protein 22.8g – Carb 27.6– Fiber 5.2g– Cholesterol 38mg– sodium 229mg (using no salt ingredients).

I usually use Turkey and I make a double batch so we have leftovers in the fridge! You can also brown some onions and bell pepper with the meat in the beginning too... just adds a bit more time to the prep!

Good luck!!!!! Hope you like it!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

August Mom
07-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Here's my Chicken Chili recipe. Actually, it was given to us by Chilis restaurant. DH loved their Chicken Chili. It was taken off the menu and he complained. So, we received this recipe. It is very tasty and freezes great!

Chicken Chili

1 1/2 pounds chicken breast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons basil
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 cup crushed tomatillos (canned), drained
1 can green chiles, chopped
1 can navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1. Cook and dice chicken breasts. Set aside.

2. In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic until tender.

3. In a separate container, mix chicken broth with lime juice and seasonings. Add to vegetable mixture.

4. Add tomatillos and green chilies to pot and bring to a boil.

5. Add navy beans, kidney beans and diced chicken breast. Bring back to a simmer for 10 minutes.

6. Spoon into individual bowls.

Note: If you use fresh tomatillos, chop them and saute them with the onion, garlic and peppers. If you like a thicker chili, use approximately 2/3 of the amount of chicken broth listed.

August Mom
07-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Chili

2 pounds ground beef
2 large onions, chopped
2 medium green peppers, chopped
1 jalapeno, minced
2 cans (22 oz.) chili beans in zesty sauce (such as Brooks)
2 cans (15.5 oz.) black beans, drained
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
2 cans (15 oz.) Hunts Seasoned Tomato Sauce for Chili
1 cup tomato juice
1 tablespoon chili powder
dash hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
4 dried chili peppers
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1. In a 6 to 8 quart stockpot, brown ground beef over moderately high heat for approximately 6-8 minutes, or until no longer pink. Remove from pan and drain. Fine ground beef with metal spoon or knife, or pulse briefly in food processor to remove large clumps of meat.

2. Return ground beef to pan and add the chopped onion. Cook for about 5 minutes or until onion is tender.

3. Add the green pepper, jalapeno pepper, chili beans, black beans, tomato sauce, tomato juice, tomato sauce special, chili powder, hot sauce, chili peppers, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for between 30 and 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water or additional tomato juice if chili becomes too thick.

4. Remove all chili peppers before serving.

mamaturk
07-19-2004, 06:59 PM
Ok Trish.... Now I know what we're eating at the party, just wondering if you ended up getting the petting zoo?! Can't wait for the Party!!!!

Dyonia
07-19-2004, 07:08 PM
This recipe is really really easy, and tastes really good.

2 lbs. lean ground beef
4 med. onions
2 med. green peppers
3 cans kidney beans, drained (14 oz each)
2 envelopes chili mix
3 cans button mushrooms, drained (10 oz each)
2 cans tomato soup (10 oz each)
2 cans tomatoes (14 oz each)
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tsp. chili powder
3 dried red chili peppers (or 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper

1) Brown the ground beef and drain off any fat.

2) Chop up onions (size to your preference), add to ground beef, and
saute till they are transparent.

3) Chop green peppers (size to your preference), add to pot and saute for a few more minutes.

4) Add remaining ingredients and stir well.

5) Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally

To adapt to the slow cooker, do steps one through 3 in a skillet, then put everything in the slow cooker and proceed from there. I've put it in the slow cooker in the morning, and just let it go on low till party time.

My husband doesn't like green peppers, so I usually make the chili without the green peppers, and it always tastes great!

Have a great party!
--Donna

parkersmama
07-19-2004, 08:30 PM
I have an easy recipe that my mother (and now I!) has made for years. It's got a nice amount of spice and a relatively few ingredients.

Chili

1 lb. lean ground beef
4 T. chili powder
2 t. salt
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
pinch of sugar
2 1-lb cans of stewed, chopped tomatos
1 C. water
2 T. canola oil
2 T flour
2 1-lb cans pinto or kidney beans & juice

Brown and drain meat, add onion, pepper, tomatos, chili powder, salt, sugar, and water. Simmer one hour. Mix oil & flour in a bowl until smooth. Mix beans & juice into flour mixture then add to meat mixture. Simmer with lid on about 30 minutes. Stir some, may need to add more water.

It goes really great with grated cheese, sour cream, and corn chips (Fritos). Also, we like it with corn bread.

brigmaman
07-20-2004, 08:37 AM
Working on it... the animal people (seveal different groups of them) are sloooww in responding- plus I have no phone service because of the rain. Ready to cancel Verizon...

brigmaman
07-20-2004, 10:30 AM
How many people would this serve?

MelissaTC
07-20-2004, 11:15 AM
All these sound great. I can't wait to try them. I know DH would LOVE the chicken chili!