PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins

jd11365
07-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Since DD doesn't drink milk or juice often, DH and I think she needs to take some vitamins. I'm not sure she can chew a Flintstones, the gummy ones have sugar, and the drops...well, I'm not sure which is best. Any suggestions on what to give a 14 month old?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

momma_boo
07-19-2004, 04:52 PM
I get a prescription one (TriViSol w/ fluoride).

I would definitely suggest bringing it up with the ped (she's probably too young for Flinstones or gummy ones and I would assume those are formulated more for kids than toddlers).

brigmaman
07-19-2004, 05:09 PM
Our ped has prescribed the drops. They smell awful and taste...well...
Maybe there's a better tasting option someone knows about.

kristine_elen
07-19-2004, 05:26 PM
You can get Poly Vi Sol drops (made my Enfamil) at Target and most drug stores. Jack doesn't mind taking it, though I only give to him sporadically.

jd11365
07-19-2004, 08:05 PM
I think I'm going to give these a go for now... I can't get in with the new ped until the middle of September, and I don't trust our former ped... She drinks a ton of water w/ flouride (it's all she really drinks unless I can trick her into a milk smoothie every now and again), so I don't think I need a prescription...but I definitely want to make sure she's not deficient in vitamins IYKWIM. Flintstones makes something like Viactiv...one chew is supposed to be equal to two glasses of milk...but it has seems very candy like and I think she's too young to chew something like that. It would be nice if they had calcium drops for kids like DD who don't like milk.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Tondi G
07-19-2004, 10:19 PM
does she eat Cheese and yogurt??? My DS wasn't a huge milk drinker but he loved cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt etc.... my ped wasn't worried about the milk since he was getting calcium in his diet from other sources!

I'd go ahead and get the liquid vitamins and see if she will take them. Good Luck

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01.... who loves his Flintstones vitamins now!

JElaineB
07-19-2004, 10:50 PM
I have bought some Schiff's Children's Multivitamin Liquid (recommended by COElizabeth). It has 100% US RDI of all essential vitamins plus iron and zinc for children under 4. It is a nice peach flavor. I've tried Poly-Vi-Sol with Iron but DS hated that because it tasted gross (I think). The only problem with the Schiff vitamins is that they are expensive. You are suppsed to give 10 ml a day and the bottle is 240 ml. I haven't actually tried using it yet, so I can't tell you how well he likes it. I will probably mix it in with a little orange juice so it won't be like giving him medicine.

http://www.schiffvitamins.com/productsearch_results.asp?p=143

I couldn't find them locally, so I ordered them online from MotherNature.com (the cheapest I could find online). They actually have a lot of different children's multivitamins on the site, some that are called chewable "wafers" that sound interesting.

http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/82611/S/99584

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

August Mom
07-19-2004, 10:57 PM
DS began taking the chewable Flintstones or like vitamins at around 1 year. He takes 1/2 tablet per day per our pediatrician and chews them fine.

jd11365
07-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks! I am DEFINITELY going to check into these. I like that they have
"no sucrose, starch, salt, milk, yeast, wheat, animal derivatives, artificial preservatives, colors or flavors." I was amazed at the ingredients of the children's vitamins. The ones I was looking at today were all filled with such junk...especially sugar. I'm going to check w/ my local health food store and see if they have it or will order it for me...otherwise I'll just get it through the mothernature.com site.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Torey
07-19-2004, 11:26 PM
I think my old ped said that you can get calcium drops for babies (probably via prescription). But in the meantime will your DD drink yogurt smoothies? My DD will not drink milk at all but she does like yogurt smoothies. I take 1/2 a banana, 2 heaping tbls. of whole milk yogurt and 1/4 cup calcium fortified o.j. and blend it in the blender. It is very sweet (from the banana) and she will drink it fairly regularly. You could mix in any fruit you want and you shouldn't have to add any sugar as long as you use sweet fruit and some kind of juice. Just a thought for something she might actually drink (which contains calcium). :)