PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ first birthday present

jupster75
07-19-2004, 05:19 PM
My DH and I are on a tight budget right now. I figured I better start thinking about a birthday present for Audrey.

Since this is her first birthday, should I just buy her something small since she won't remember?

Or should I save some money to buy her a great quality item that would last for a long time? If this option, any ideas?

Jennifer, mom to Audrey 11/3/03
http://lilypie.com/baby1/041103/2/16/2/-5/.png

jk3
07-19-2004, 05:41 PM
She won't remember what you get her so I suggest finding something special for her first bday not neccessarily something expensive. For my DS's first birthday, we got him a set of little "trucks" - the soft kind intended for babies. This was not an expensive gift but he really likes it. We also got him a Maisy book + mini stuffed animal since he loves Maisy. I figured he'd get enough gifts from family + friends so we didn't need to go crazy.

Jenn
DS 6/03

cdmamatutu
07-19-2004, 05:45 PM
I splurged and bought my son a gorgeous red child's rocker for his 1st b-day. I bought my daughter a matching child's bench for her birthday...still several months away. :) I liked the idea of giving a gift that they could pass down to their kids, since my family never really did that for us.

Having said that, kids truly don't remember what you give them at that age. You could probably thrill your daughter with a new coloring book and crayons! A pad of Post-it notes was a great hit at that age, if I remember right. :) And I find that my kids get so many gifts from relatives that they really don't need (or notice!) one more gift from Mom and Dad. Plus, everyone knows that the wrapping is more fun than the gift itself. ;)

August Mom
07-19-2004, 06:47 PM
If budget is really an issue, I'd just get something that you can afford or nothing at all. There will be lots of presents from others and no one except you will remember what you bought.

Dscvrlifewith3
07-19-2004, 06:54 PM
If you are crafty consider making something. If not, stick within your budget.

We did different things for each of our kids first birthdays. It just depended on what we could afford at the time.

crl
07-19-2004, 07:17 PM
You could consider a classic children's book (Dr. Suess, etc.) and then inscribe it. That way you can stay within budget, but still have it be special. At least, I've always thought books with a personal message in the front marking the ocassion are special.

amazz
07-19-2004, 07:22 PM
When I was a child we were pretty strapped for cash in my family, but my most treasured presents were the ones my mom made for me. For instance, one Christmas she made a Care Bears (can you believe those are back!) blanket and I still have it. I couldn't have been more than 2 or 3 and don't really remember getting the blanket but I knew that my mom made it and I have kept it all these years.

Angela
EDD 10/15/04

votre_ami03
07-19-2004, 08:17 PM
On the blanket idea, Nolan has a lovey/silkie that he absolutely adores! My mom made it for him when he was a newborn & he didn't really appreciate it until about 6 mos ago. It is a very soft flannel on one side & a soft, washable (important!) satin on the other w/satin blanket trim. Nolan pats his blankie when he is tired & sleeps w/it every night.

If anything, I would probably go for something she would have & always treasure, that doesn't have to be expensive though other than a toy that would probably break. My most memorable gifts are a large Winnie the Pooh (from my dad, who passed away when I was 18 mos) & a quilt my mother made for me.

I really like the book ideal, a classic children's book would be great. You can even look at 2nd hand bookstores or consignment shops for nice hard back books of the classic's. Years ago a friend found an old copy of Alice in Wonderland's through the Looking Glass.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03