PDA

View Full Version : this is a must read if you or your family eats/drinks soy products!

urquie
07-19-2004, 05:35 PM
i'm quite shocked by this article in the may/june 2004 issue of "mothering!" especially scary is the reported effects of soy formula.

http://www.mothering.com/10-0-0/html/10-6-0/soy-story.shtml

daisymommy
07-19-2004, 06:11 PM
While I kind of beleive that there may be some problems with eating/drinking soy, (just from what I have read and heard from friends--no personal experience myself)--I just wanted to let you know that there have been numerous pages of rebuttles against this negative soy postion in the most recent issue of Mothering Magazine. It is apparent that not everyone agrees with this author.

Melanie
07-19-2004, 06:19 PM
Just wanted to second what Amy said. As a huge mothering fan, I'm still taking this with a grain of salt. We still eat or drink soy, but I do not go overboard. If you read the next issue of mothering, there are some letters to the editor refuting it.

Everything in moderation, know what I mean? (ahem. except chocolate of course). ;)

starrynight
07-19-2004, 06:22 PM
I didn't read the mothering article but a few months back (sorry I can't recall which issue but if I find it again I will edit) of parent's mag there was a quick article about using soy formula only if absolutly necessary because it suppresses the immune system. No idea why but it must have to do with something in the soy. So if something mainstream said something about it just as much as Mothering I would avoid the formula.

As for other soy items, I do avoid them as much as possible, I'm not sure they are totally harmful or harmless.

lizajane
07-19-2004, 09:47 PM
i would be more convinced if the article were in a medical journal instead of a parenting magazine that definitely markets to a specific group of people. my child drinks soy milk, my ped. supports it and he grew more than 2 inches in two months. so i just don't worry so much. and i have asked more than one dr.

heytootsy
07-19-2004, 11:21 PM
Anything in excess is not good for you. Too much milk can be harmful, too. I have done lots of research on this, and I am not 100% convinced soy is as evil as illustrated.