PDA

View Full Version : My head is throbbing - need advice what can I take

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-19-2004, 05:44 PM
I honest to goodness feel like I am coming down with the flu. I've had the "real" flu once in my life and it was hell, and this feels similiar, last night while trying to fall asleep my brain felt like it was shaking in my head, and I feel kind of dizzy. My BP is fine 110/70 (just checked)...

Do you think this is pregnancy related or could I be in for a doozy of some sort...

What can I take does anyone know...
I'm not one to normally complain about feeling sick, lack of sleep etc... but today I really am feeling AWFUL...

And at night I am not feeling like I am falling into a real slepp, I feel like I am laying there, semi awake all night...

I forgot is this a pregnancy thing, I do remember some weird odd dreams when I was pregnant with Tristan...

Sorry to whine I just really don't know what I can take...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

votre_ami03
07-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Tylenol is the only thing that I can think of. My best advice is just try to lay down & rest. Keep your fluids up.

Hopefully it's a bug & this won't be with you for weeks.

(((Neve)))

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

daisymommy
07-19-2004, 06:05 PM
I'm so sorry that you're felling bad Neve. It really could be morning sickness...which is such a cruel joke to call it that sonce it cam last all day and all night long! I would still call your OB just to be sure, and check with her what you can take. But here is a list I got from my Midwife when I was preggo with Joshua of all the safe things to take. One thing she told me when I was sleepless in my 9th month was to take some Tylenol P.M. to help me sleep, or some Benadryl. She said it was perfectly safe.

A.R.M. Allergy Relief
Allerest allergy relief
Benadryl or Benadryl Plus tablets, capsules
Chlortrimetron, plain or L.A.
Clortimazole/Mycelex for yeast infections
Colace-1 capsul twice daily for constipation
Comtrex Cold
Fibercon
Gaviscon for heartburn
Ginger Roots- 2 tablets, 2-4 times daily for nausea
Immodium AD--use no longer than 48 hours, and no more than 4 caplets or 8 tsp. in 24 hours.
Kopectate
Metamucil
Mylanta or Mylanta II
Pepsid AC & Tagament on occasion
Riopan (for heartburn)
Robitussin
Rolaids
Sine-Off for allregies,(without asprin)
Sinutab regular, X-Strength, or Max-Strength (NOT Sinutab Allergy)
Sudafed, Sudafed Plus, or 12 Hour, liquid or tablets
Triaminic,Triaminic Cold, Nite-Lite, Syrup, or Triminic-PM, Triminic-12 Hour, Triminic Tablets
Tucks or Witch hazel pads
Tums
Tylenol (reg. or Xtra strength)
Tylenol Cold or Sinus
Vitamin B6 50mg. twice a day for nausea

llcoddington
07-19-2004, 06:11 PM
While pregnant, I took Tylenol and Sudafed. Tylenol really didn't do anything for me, but Sudafed helped me with headaches. I took children's sudafed (yummy orange flavor) because when pregnant, medications are very potent for me! Hope you feel better soon.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

Melanie
07-19-2004, 06:28 PM
I'm sorry Neve...I can't remember, but are you taking progesterone? I've heard that can cause symptoms like that.

Anyway, I got a mild cold when PG and felt like I was run over with a truck! I'd never had such problems with a cold before. My midwife said I could take one regular tylenol. I can't remember which cold/flu type meds so I'm not going to try to guess.

Here is what Dr. Sears has to say about medications while pregnancy:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/1/t011500.asp

Oh, and I just want to say that I personally don't agree with his view on ibuprofen, I won't touch the stuff.

Good Luck & Feel Better!

amp
07-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Great list Amy!

Neve - I took Tylenol, Robitussin (regular, not DM etc), Benadryl, Maloxx tabs, all on the ok of my OB.

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-19-2004, 06:39 PM
I have to say I wondered if this was a side effect from that...I'm use to sucking it upwhen sick but this is just so awful that I wonder.

Thank you ladies...off to raid the medicine cabinet...and counting the minutes till DH comes home so I can pass the bug a boo!!!!
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

Marisa6826
07-19-2004, 06:57 PM
Yup. Only Tylenol.

And it could very well be the result of hormone fluctuations.

I'm still getting them daily and I'm past 18w.

Feel better. A cold cloth on my forehead sometimes helps.

-m

lizajane
07-19-2004, 07:26 PM
sorry to say that you sound like me for a whole week last month. i really hope it was just a passing thing! definitely take some extra strenth tylenol. i feel dizzy all the time- i just sit down for that. and finally, have you been scratched by any of your kitties lately? i was attacked by a cat while pregnant and my OB tested me for toxosomething or other that you can get from cat feces or cat scratches. a friend told me that "cat scratch fever" can feel like the flu.

FEEL BETTER SOON!!! GROW, BABY, GROW!!!

nwaddellr
07-19-2004, 08:48 PM
>toxosomething

toxoplasmosis - and it is where the term cat scratch fever comes from - literally!

StaceyKim
07-19-2004, 09:32 PM
I got a few terrible migraines when I was PG with DS to the point where I couldn't even see straight. I put cold ice packs over my eyes and the back of my neck. It seemed to help a little bit. The only thing that help was resting in a dark room with the ice. Like PP said, you can take tylenol although it didn't really help my headaches.

Try to get some rest and hope you feel better soon!

lizajane
07-19-2004, 09:41 PM
thank you for clarifying! i am so dumb right now...

Tondi G
07-19-2004, 10:11 PM
Neve.... do not take ANYTHING but Tylenol in the first trimester without talking to your doctor first!!!!!

I took one dose of Sudafed without talking to my OB and told her about it when I saw her a week later. She wasn't particularly pleased and told me NOT to take any more sudafed in the first trimester. I read an article recently that showed an increase risk in a particular defect if Sudafed is taken in the first trimester.... something having to do with the intestines!

If you have a head ache take tylenol... if your throat hurts suck on lozenges or drink chamomile/peppermint tea with lemon and honey. if you are congested sit in the bathroom and let the shower run so the room steams up!

Good luck feel better.... I have heard of some women feeling kinda funky on progesterone.... wouldn't hurt to double check with your OB!

~Tondi

Melanie
07-19-2004, 11:34 PM
I was just thinking, I don't know how you feel about caffeine while pregnant, but that really helped me when I got migraines. Maybe, if you are not used to coffee, even decaf (which has a tiny bit) could help.

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-20-2004, 01:29 AM
Hubby came home and I went to bed and slept for 5 hours...
I am starting tothink it is the Progesterone, and they have not nor have they given me an order to test it since I started it-should I be testing??????

I have taken Benadryl the past two nights but will try to stick with just Tylenol.

I am a huge coffee drinker, with a lot of milk, and I don't desire much coffee when I am pregnant and that could be a little of it as well...

Thank you ladies, I hate whining, thanks for letting me...
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

cinrein
07-20-2004, 04:08 PM
Neve,
I hope you are feeling better. I've taken Prometrium too and never had flu-like symptoms from it, but I think anything is possible when your hormones are raging. Aren't severe headaches a common syptom of pregnancy?

FWIW, I was never tested after being prescribed the Prometrium. I guess you are taking enough that there is no way your progesterone is too low?

Also, I agree to take only Tylenol until you've talked with your OB. That's all I was allowed to take during the first trimester. Once you pass 14 weeks there are some more things that become safe to take. I had a upper respiratory infection with Anna at 11 weeks and all I could take was Tylenol and plain Robitussin (which did absolutely nothing). I was so sick of hearing people tell me I got sick at the wrong time. :(

Wanted to add that you should keep track of your temperature. A fever during the first trimester can be dangerous for the baby, so make sure to call your OB if you have any fever at all (and take Tylenol).

Good luck---hopefully this is just your body getting used to the change in hormones and you'll be feeling like yourself in a day or two. Feel free to complain here all you want!

Cindy and Anna February 2003

MelissaTC
07-20-2004, 04:52 PM
YES!!!

I suffered horrible headaches from progesterone...

tippy
07-25-2004, 03:27 AM
Hi Neve,

I was really freaked out about taking medication while pregnant (even though "they" say it is safe). You could always try accupuncture. I went for accupuncture to help me to conceive (along with chinese herbs) and truly believe it is why ds is here today. The TCM doctor I was seeing changed my diet when he started me on the herbs and I lost 40 lbs in the process. The accupuncture supported the herbal treatment and I actually received it for almost one year before trying to conceive. The only thing I would recommend it trying to find a practitioner that practices traditional chinese medicine rather than the more "westernised" clinical type accupuncture. Hope you're feeling better soon.