PDA

View Full Version : Survey: What is your parental sanity-saver?

stella
07-20-2004, 06:37 PM
What ritual or practice keeps you going?

Lately I have taken up running - sometimes with the kids, sometimes without, but it has made a big difference in how I feel and my stress-tolerance level.

I'm just wondering what keeps you all going...

lmariana
07-20-2004, 06:48 PM
Netflix! (www.netflix.com) We're 20 minutes from the nearest Blockbuster, so having DVD's shipped right to my door is SUPER convenient. Right now I'm renting the Gilmore Girls series and am anxiously awaiting Season 3 of Felicity coming out this September. :)

During nap time (and after bedtime) I pop in my DVD's and unwind. Ahhh!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

Marisa6826
07-20-2004, 07:10 PM
I go for a facial and sometimes massage, followed by eyebrow threading and paws/claws (mani/pedi) once a month.

A HUGE indulgence but worth it!

-m

amazz
07-20-2004, 08:16 PM
Paws/claws--LOL!!! :7

Angela
EDD 10/15/04

aguinn
07-20-2004, 08:54 PM
- long naps from DS so that i can shower (whoever thought that not getting to easily shower every day would be such a big deal?)

- sunday night movies with DH (I,Robot is pretty good!)

- playgroup & trading stories with my other mommy friends

;)amy
proud momma to DS 7/2003

cchavez
07-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Mom's nite out with my friends once a month. Chilling w/ DH at nite.

candybomiller
07-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Vodka.

ETA: Ok, I'm just kidding. Really. I thought it would be funny.

pritchettzoo
07-20-2004, 09:19 PM
Vodka for you--funny.
Vodka for the boy--felony.

(Don't you love how you have to qualify EVERYTHING now?). Seriously, Candy, doesn't the crack pipe burn your fingers so that it hurts to type? I have to hunt and peck to avoid the ones with blisters.

The computer is probably my biggest sanity saver. I can "talk" with other adults. Or facsimiles thereof. ;)

Anna

rrosen
07-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Reading, and my book group. One night a month with a good bottle of wine (or two) some good conversation and a great bunch of women!

My dog, the world is a peaceful place when you are petting a dog who is blissfully grateful for the attention.

My girlfriends! A good long heart to heart always makes me feel happy!

MelissaTC
07-20-2004, 09:31 PM
My scrapbooking night once a month...
Long hot showers...

and my girlfriends, both the ones I see often and the ones I met via these boards...you all are the best!

brigmaman
07-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Driving around working (gardening) and not listening to the Wiggles/Little People, etc.

Though I do love looking back to see Brig playing air guitar...maybe it's not so great after all!

jbowman
07-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Running, reading, going out with DH and my friends, and singing in my car! Oh, and 44 oz. Diet Sprites at Sonic!

momathome
07-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Definitely being online with you girls! Also, I love to read anything and everything - books, magazines, newspapers - People is my guilty pleasure. Also, I am a huge baseball fan so for me a relaxing evening is kicking back with a bowl of chocolate peanut butter icecream and watching the Phillies lose. ;)

kitmama
07-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Internet/e-mail (to keep in touch with friends who I never have time to visit!), reading (Just finished "Life of Pi"- very good book!) and knitting.

I REALLY miss yoga. I need to get back into it.

Oh, and the biggie: a housecleaner twice a month. SO worth the money!

C99
07-21-2004, 12:00 AM
My husband taking Nate to the park or in the backyard for an hour after he gets home from work, so that I can make dinner in peace, finish up loose ends around the house, or get on the computer uninterrupted. I also think my once/week playgroup is a huge sanity-saver.

jasabo
07-21-2004, 12:45 AM
This isn't to say that I'm the least bit sane...but....

Weekly playgroups have helped

Reading - books at night when the boys are in bed, but I've also developed an embaressing addiction to trash mags (In Touch, Us, etc.) - articles that don't take longer then 2 minutes to read and pictures of skinny, beautiful, rich people to envy - what's not to love?

Gym - when I can fit it in

computer/bulletin boards

And I'm so glad someone else mentioned vodka and crack....phew...I thought I was the only one... :)

Lisa - mom to 1 yr old twin boys

Grace_underfire
07-21-2004, 01:00 AM
>And I'm so glad someone else mentioned vodka and crack....phew...I thought I was the only one...

HAHAHAHAH That made me laugh so hard I almost woke up my son!

I haven't found a true parental sanity-saver that I can actually stick to :( I need to plan for that too or it will not happen!

Mom2Miri
07-21-2004, 02:02 AM
high speed internet access to the BBB
my sister via my "all you can talk" calling plan

...but I'm still losing my sanity :)

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

kijip
07-21-2004, 04:18 AM
Ditto on the Vodka! Add cranberry juice...

kijip
07-21-2004, 04:24 AM
I can't swing reading the WSJ daily anymore so I read it on Fridays. Also I cancelled all of my heavy duty literature/political/news magazines after Toby was born and have recently added my favorite back. Getting just one and actually reading it is a lifesaver.

Runners up-

BBB
Math - prep for fall tutoring (I work through all of my students' text in advance to sharpen my mind and find error traps)

jk3
07-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Playgroup-love my mommy friends!

Once a Week Housecleaning- She's away for the entire summer so my sanity is on the brink and my house is clean but not as clean as we're all used too!

Going for long walks with DS

Weekend tag team w/DH!

Jenn
DS 6/03

Rachels
07-21-2004, 09:58 AM
My group of mom friends! Commisseration and support go SUCH a long way. Also, knitting. I love having a little time in my day when I can relax and do something soft and meditative. I started knitting about a year ago, and it takes me forever to finish projects, but it's well worth it. I love it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/2/character39.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

Sarah1
07-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Get togethers with my friends who are moms.

Having a babysitter come one full day a week and almost every other weekend so DH and I can go out together and/or with friends (Candy, sometimes there is vodka involved in these evenings, LOL :) )

Stupid reality TV shows like the Bachelor.

jbowman
07-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Katie,

Do you like the Weekend Journal section on Friday? DH and I fight over it! It is one of my favorite things in the world!

llcoddington
07-21-2004, 10:27 AM
I don't think I am sane, so I need to find a parental sanity-saver!

Actually, I like dumb reality tv like "The Newlyweds." I also love to read.

Chocolate seems to help these days too.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

kristine_elen
07-21-2004, 10:43 AM
What is eyebrown threading? Is it like waxing?

Marisa6826
07-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Similar to waxing, but a much cleaner line. Indian (or Middle Eastern) women generally do it.

They take a long piece of thread and hold one piece in their mouths (it's not as gross as it sounds), and twist two others with their fingers . They roll the twisted section over the hair and it pulls them out. It's no more painful than waxing or tweezing, just a lot more efficient.

I've also found that it lasts longer than waxing for some reason.

-m

amp
07-21-2004, 01:18 PM
I'm still hoping to find one! This board is what saves me I guess! I don't know what I would do if I couldn't come here each day to hang with all of you!

jupster75
07-21-2004, 04:09 PM
My two guilty pleasures are on Friday night TV, "What Not To Wear" on TLC and "Best Week Ever" on VH1.

For every day, I cross stitch going to and coming from work. DH and I ride together. If I had to drive daily, it would take a strong alcoholic drink.

Jennifer, mom to Audrey 11/3/03
http://lilypie.com/baby1/041103/2/16/2/-5/.png

lisams
07-21-2004, 06:01 PM
My group of mom friends

chocolate

just getting out of the house

DH watching DD in the evenings so I can to the gym

Lisa

mamicka
07-21-2004, 06:22 PM
OMG! I thought I was alone in my "Newlyweds" obsession. DH thinks I'm nuts, but I find it strangely relaxing.

tinkerbell1217
07-21-2004, 08:37 PM
My sanity saver is breakfast once a week with my DH without the kids!