PDA

View Full Version : OT: AMAZING RACE FANS!!!! Your comments here! :)

Jeanmick
07-21-2004, 03:04 AM
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

A

L

E

R

T

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

A

L

E

R

T

Info on this week's episode is on this post...don't open if you don't want to know! :)

Here's my two cent's worth:

1. I really don't like the brothers. I was hoping they would be the next team eliminated.

2. Mirna and Charla are truly impressing me in how they're doing in this race, but I, too am starting to get slightly annoyed with Mirna's badgering Charla to "hurry up." Honey, she's doing the best she can!

3. I was sad to see the Dad and Daughter eliminated this week. I really liked the dad and the daughter was starting to grow on me.

Can't think of anything else at the moment...can't wait to read what everyone else's take is this week's episode! :)

Sarah1
07-21-2004, 10:19 AM
I was SO bummed to see Marsha and her dad go. They seemed to be the only team that were totally respectful of each other. Marsha was so sweet and supportive of her dad, even though he slowed them down at times.

I'm impressed with how scrappy Charla and Mirna are. They can be annoying but it's nice to see them trying so hard.

I cannot STAND the brothers. They are so negative...and RUDE. This might sound weird--and I am not trying to be controversial here--but it also bothers me, as someone who happens to be Jewish, that they are doing such a terrible job of representing Jewish people!!! Not that it's their job to represent Jewish people, but there are tons of people watching this show who probably have never met a Jewish person in their life, and these guys don't come across as good people, at least to me. Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but for whatever reason, it bothers me.

papal
07-21-2004, 10:36 AM
This stinks.. i totally missed it.. i am miserable.... i will be reading your posts with great interest, so include all the details you can!

kelly ann
07-21-2004, 11:03 AM
I can't stand those brothers...last week they made the "foreigner" comment and this week they yelled B**ch at the other contestant while driving by. How much more disrespectful can they get???

And how about some other contestant saying they can't let the midget beat them...ARGH!!! I can't believe how ignorant or un-PC some of these contestants are.

Scrappy is a great word for the cousins. I was laughing so hard when those twins dove into the water and were doing the backstroke to that island. And then they were standing there cold and half-naked when the host told them everyone else just waded across over on the other side.

mamicka
07-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Rashmi, all is not lost... they replay it here on Sat night! I assume that they do it everywhere, but maybe not - you should check.

As for the episode:
ditto on the brothers comments, don't like them. Still love the cousins but they reaaly disappointed me with their "I need to see a doctor" comments when trying to get the plane tickets. People seem to do this kind of thing a lot on the show, act like it's an emergency when it's a TV SHOW! What if there is someone FOR REAL that has an emergency that they are disrupting? It's just so self-centered. The dating models have annoyed me as well - I think they're burning a lot of bridges & I hope it ends-up biting them you-know-where.

brubeck
07-21-2004, 11:20 AM
ITA about the doctor comment. It's one thing to say that it is an emergency, but they outright LIED saying that she was going to see a doctor.

It bothers me that Charla keeps going on about how her size doesn't hold her back and she wants to be treated like everybody else yet EVERY episode she uses her small size to gain sympathy. You can't have ti both ways!

kristenk
07-21-2004, 12:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that I'm in the minority, but the cousins are driving me crazy! First it was Myrna with all of the "Hurry up, Charla" or "Run, Charla, run" comments. I'm pretty sure Charla knows that she's in a race and *is* hurrying and running. So, for the first two episodes, it was only Myrna who rubbed me the wrong way and I liked Charla. Then, last night, with Charla's comment to the ticket agent about needing to see a "doctoro" I decided that I'm not interested in seeing the cousins win. I know that all's fair in this game, but it still bothers me.

I was hoping that the brothers would be a good team when I found out that they live in Dallas. So much for rooting for them.

I was really sad to the dad & daughter go -especially the dad. DH commented last night that they weren't showing times or anything at the end, so he thought that they were trying to make it appear that the race for the final 2 was closer than it really was.

I'm not sure about the bowling moms. I like them, but still don't know about the currency exchange comments that they supposedly made to the dad & daughter. Did I miss that on last week's episode?

Looking forward to next week!

jec2
07-21-2004, 12:05 PM
I agree, wish the brothers went and army dad/daughter stayed :( Charla & Mirna crack me up!

MelissaTC
07-21-2004, 01:17 PM
I am so loving this show! I really want to do this with DH.

I can NOT stand the brothers. What jerks!

The cousins, despite being annoying at times, still crack me up and are quite entertaining. I am rooting for them.

The models are annoying and I agree with a previous poster that said I hope their actions eventually catch up with them.

I don't like the other dating couple either. Especially when the guy said that they had to beat the midget. Hello???!!! First off, midget is like saying the n word. You don't do it. She is a little person or a dwarf. That annoyed me. I commend her for running everywhere, trying to keep up. I don't know if I would be able to...

The Bowling Moms rubbed me the wrong way last week with the currency exchange thing. That wasn't very nice.

I still like the twins.

The Dad and Daughter team...well, I liked the Dad a lot. But the daughter was just a pita. She was better last night and I was sad to see them go. But I didn't care for her as much as I did the Dad.

Can't wait until next week!!

mharling
07-21-2004, 02:04 PM
- I liked the brothers and the 1st episode, but haven't since then. I was hoping they would be eliminated. Sorry to see the father/daughter go.

- Mirna is getting even more annoying. I was also cracking up when she asked how her hair looked. It seems like she has a bit of a crush on Phil. I liked Charla until her doctor excuse. Helen - You described it perfectly.

- I love how the teams we might have expected to be out early are right up there (bowling moms, widowed couple, cousins). I especially like the widowed couple.

What I don't understand is why they departed 9 hours before the first flight. And why haven't we seen the 'Yield' again???

Neve - Ever since you mentioned it, I've started paying attention to who holds onto the piece from the envelope and who drops it. :)

Mary
Lane 4/03

sweetbasil
07-21-2004, 02:38 PM
I think this would be such a fun show to do, too!

We like the internet dating (older) couple and the bowling moms (as we didn't see them say anything about currency exchange- I don't know how the whole thing really went, you know/)

DH & I can't stand the pizza brothers from Dallas. What pouty, sorry little sports!

The models and other dating couple are not our faves.
I liked the dad on the Dad/Daughter team, but not the daughter. Even last night in their interview at the end, she seemed pretty selfish.

The twins seem pretty emotional and high strung, and I don't have a strong feeling either way about the married parents.

Oh, and the twins- well, I still like Charla (except for that deceptive "need a doctoro" thing- I understand it's a game and she can use her disadvantage to her advantage, but lying doesn't seem a good way to do that, IMO). But Mirna is soooo whiny- this beef is heavy, I'm gonna die. Hurry up, Charla. My gosh- if she was Charla, they would've given up a long time ago. At least Charla sticks w/it!

Looking forward to next week, too!

heytootsy
07-21-2004, 03:24 PM
Can't stand the brothers. I think they are incredibly rude. I just don't know I want to win, I wish the clowns were back, I really liked them.

Buffys Mommy
07-21-2004, 03:46 PM
I LOVE this show. Although Dad/Daughter were our favs so now I don't know who to route for. I can't stand the brothers. The cousins drive me bonkers, although I still like Charla. Mirna is just a little whiney for me. I'm not sure how to take the Chip&Kim vs. the Twins rivalry. I do like the older Internet dating couple because they do seem to be supportive of each other. But who knows...

Can't wait until next weeks episode!

Tammie
Momma to Sarah 10/13/03

RwnMayfair
07-21-2004, 04:01 PM
My mother got me addicted to this show. ;) She got me started on Survivor too - I think I need to stop visiting my mother. ::wink::

Anyway, the brothers just annoy the utter crud out of me. I was so hoping they'd be eliminated last night too. I would have much preferred them to go over the Dad and Daughter. I really liked them, I agree with whomever said that they seem to be more polite towards each other than some of the others. I dunno, I just wish they had lasted longer.

I'm impressed with how Mirna and Charla are keeping up, but they're slowly starting to irritate me. Saying she needed a doctor last night irked me because she was just abusing that. I mean, what if someone had really needed one? Plus listening to Mirna constantly telling Charla to hurry up gets a bit old too. Does she expect the woman to start flying or something?

And the two models just annoy me and have ever since I started watching this a couple of weeks ago. I can't explain why exactly, other than they just annoy me. Not as much as the brothers, but I just can't stand the models all the same. I sure hope their recent actions to bite them in the butts soon.

Also, I was a bit confused as to why others got standby tickets for that first flight before the Dad did. Now granted, we missed the first few minutes so that might be where I missed what was going on, but I was under the impression that the daughter asked for him to be put on standby before any of the others did, and yet the others got standby tickets for that flight first. I know Charla pulled her needing a doctor thing, but that still doesn't explain to me why the models got standby tickets before the Dad did. Of course, I've never gone standby on a flight either, so I don't know exactly how it works, but it would make sense to me to take someone who's with someone who already has a confirmed ticket before others who don't have any. But again, since we missed the first few minutes it may be that I just got the wrong impression of the order of things too.

But this show is just so entertaining! And I dunno, I think it'd be fun to do, as long as you tried to have fun while you were doing it. (Some of them, like the brothers, seem to not be trying to get any enjoyment out of it.)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://lilypie.com/baby1/041120/0/15/0/-5/.png

celfsh
07-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Okay, loooooove this show! Here's my take on things up to this point:

I was so sad to see the dad and daughter go--I actually cried (dorky, but true). Loved the dad's speech at the end. I just thought he was super sweet.

Love the Internet dating couple. They are the only team I have seen that has yet to treat each other disrespectfully.

I was indifferent about the pizza brothers until last night. It so annoyed me when the one brother who was eating chocolate was like, "I can't do it! I'm gonna throw up!" I couldn't figure that one out. I was like, hellllllooo, it's chocolate, not spiders or pig brains or something--suck it up!

The cousins Charla and Mirna drive me insane. Last night's "doctoro" comment especially rubbed me the wrong way.

And what is with the models? I mean, basically, who DIDN'T they make an alliance with and then completely turn on last night?

Bowling moms--no strong feelings either way. I can take 'em or leave 'em.

Twins--annoying. I mean, enough already with the Chip thing--move on!!!

That's all I can think of right now. Until next week!!!

celeste
mom to olivia (09/02)

tarahsolazy
07-21-2004, 04:15 PM
DH does not get why I love this show so much! I TiVo it and watch each episode at least twice, and save them all up to have a Race ORGY before the last episode!

ITA on the Dad-Daughter combo, I liked them.

I SO wanted the brothers to get Philiminated. The brothers have said so many mean things about women drivers, foreigners (hello, its a race around the world, not around the mall), and Mirna. Lance was pissed because Mirna heard the ticket guy tell him where to stand in line, and she dashed over to be first in line. All's fair, I say.

I am also irked by the models, mostly because they keep invoking God, saying that Christ is gonna help them out. I believe in Christ, and I would be surprised if he has much of an opinion about the outcome of a reality TV show. I also don't like folks mentioning their Christianity all the time, then screwing other teams over. (Millie and Chuck did this last season, too.) Not that I have a problem with Christians (am one) but MAN, that's no kind of witness. I guess its kind of like Audrey's opinion on the Jewish brothers.

Does anyone else cringe whenever a racer speaks in fake-foreign-accented pidgin English to folks in other countries? Charla and Mirna are unfortunately quite prone to this.

sweetbasil
07-21-2004, 06:41 PM
I know I've already weighed in here, but Tarah, you crack me up, woman! I love your commentary on the brothers, and totally agree with the models invoking God and his will. Really, how often do Christians appear on Primetime network t.v.? I, too, am a Christian, and DH and I winced several times last night as the models turned on alliances, etc.

And LOL about the fake-foreign-accent thing- the older internet girlfriend kept saying "Gratzi" (or however it's spelled) last week, in South America, for Pete's sake. It's gracias, lady. And Charla's "doctoro" and "donde es?" stuff- yikes!

Tarah, you'd be so fun to watch this with, I think. And guessing your DH isn't quite as into it as you are (which is the case here, too), it's too bad we don't live closer ;)

jec2
07-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Hey, who are the models? And, I missed the currency exchange thing. DH tried to explain but was get frustrated that I hadn't been paying attention. I know that Army dad/daughter switched their $$ bexause somebody told them too, but can you explain what happened?

Oh, and the twins, it was so funny that they swam across to the check-point vs. walk in the shallow water :)

sweetbasil
07-21-2004, 07:03 PM
>Hey, who are the models?

Brandon an Nicole/Nikky are the models, and from what I took away from last week's episode, the dad/daughter were told by the bowling moms that the country where they were arriving only accepted local currency and no US $. But everyone did accept US $, so all the time they spent in line getting their $ exchanged was for nothing.

babymama
07-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Calling Rashmi...just checked www.cbs.com, and Amazing Race will be *rebroadcast* on Saturday at 8PM ET. I missed it too (though I did catch the last 10 minutes), but DH taped it. Hoping to watch the whole thing tomorrow night. Will post once I've seen it.

Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

McQ
07-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Can not stand the brothers! What jerks. Totally agree with everything that has been posted.

And the models and the God thing. And know this is said tongue in cheek and I'm not trying to offend anyone - but when they are on my DH blurts out "Praise the Lord!" and I die laughing.

I also get chuckles about how Charla and Mirna get all concerned about what they look like for Phil.

Don't have clear favorites yet but do like Charla (but not Mirna), the widows and the bowling moms.

The other dating couple hasn't sparked any interest although last night when I was watching it I think I decided he was good looking. Anyone?

And did anyone else get chocolate cravings or was that just me too?

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

cinrein
07-22-2004, 11:59 AM
LOL! I think that roadblock was my dream come true! I would love to visit someplace with a street full of chocolate shops!

I think Mirna and Charla are so dramatic it's hilarious. They are fun to watch just because you don't know what one of them will utter next. Plus they don't get nasty to other people.

I hope the brothers go next. I can't think of one nice thing to say about them.

Are the dating models the ones who have been screwing everyone? The one who lied right to Mirna's face about other teams buying them tickets? Not very God-like if you ask me. :)

The dating couple guy--Colin I think is his name. He is good looking, but a total jerk IMO. He was the one who said they HAVE to beat the midget! Plus he talks nasty to his girl when things aren't going quite his way---his tone gets real pissy real fast.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

tarahsolazy
07-22-2004, 05:08 PM
If you can't get enough RACE on CBS, check out www.televisionwithoutpity.com for hilarious recaps! I can't keep up with their forums, but I hope we have a weekly RACE (always all-caps in my world, ladies and gentlemen) threads over here.

papal
07-22-2004, 05:29 PM
THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!!!!! Woooohoooo!!!!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-22-2004, 06:57 PM
I adore them, they are cute, happy, parents on the run...I am shocked I am not seeing anyone cheering for them???

Anyway needless to say I think they are my favs
I can not stand the brothers and their parents must be hanging their heads in shame...though I think they are a good example of a small portion of our population so it is probably good for us all to see how not to act. They disgust me!!!!!!

The cousins (marlina/charla) use to bug me but I have to say I am cheering them on as well!!!!!

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

mamicka
07-22-2004, 09:54 PM
I guess I don't like them because I don't like the level of Chip's obnoxiousness (I don't think this is a word, but anyway...). Ever since the taxi incident, where I think he was clearly wrong, he's been REALLY obnoxious. He claims that he & the twin got in the cab at the same time, so it was fair to make them both wait for the other cab to arrive. At least when I saw it, it was clear that the twin got in the cab first. I don't necessarily disagree with his strategy to make the twins wait for the other cab, but ever since then, I can't stand his attitude & his insistence that they arrived at the same time. I think he's lying & I don't like it.

OK - the depth of my feeling on this is a little embarassing. I'll go now.

McQ
07-23-2004, 10:59 AM
We have tivo and replayed the taxi scene a few times. The twin did make it to the taxi first. Saw the taxi first, made it to the taxi first by a couple seconds.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

Sarah1
07-23-2004, 03:30 PM
I didn't read the other responses to your question, Neve...but to me, they just don't seem to WANT it or care that much, y'know? They just seem so lax. Especially the wife. Just not interesting to me. I would probably like them more as people because they're so laid back, but to watch them in this type of race context, their personalities just don't appeal to me that much.

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-23-2004, 06:12 PM
I do agree, they don't get as much camera time, and she doesn't have the presence that he has...but I think he is a doll, I assume they'll be out soon since we are not seeing much of them...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties