PDA

View Full Version : Eek! I've been using Motrin Children's drops vs Infant drops!

jec2
07-21-2004, 11:10 PM
How terrible is this? I went to buy new drops today and discovered that there are Infant & Children's. We have been using the Children's. Please tell me I haven't caused DS liver (or is it kidney) damage.

kristine_elen
07-21-2004, 11:15 PM
I have no idea, but I'd say not to beat yourself up -- there's nothing you can do about it right now anyway. What's done is done. I'd call the ped in the morning and ask him/her about it.

Rachels
07-21-2004, 11:16 PM
No-- you actually give more of the children's vs. infants, because it's less concentrated. Here's a link to the dosing chart for each:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T088900.asp#T088901

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/2/character39.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

flagger
07-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact it is MUCH CHEAPER to use children's versus infant's. At Sam's, I can get a two pack of children's Motrin for less than one bottle with less medicine.

deborah_r
07-22-2004, 01:45 AM
I think I only have the children's and then I got the dosing from that ask dr sears website. I think it is suggested on that website to skip the infant's and use the children's.

amyff
07-22-2004, 01:56 AM
>I think I only have the children's and then I got the dosing
>from that ask dr sears website. I think it is suggested on
>that website to skip the infant's and use the children's.

Yep, me too! I got mine from Costco (way cheap)!

jec2
07-22-2004, 02:01 AM
I knew some among you would know more than me. I'm one relieved mama now :)

JacksMommy
07-22-2004, 02:47 PM
I just wanted to add that my ped gave my son Children's Motrin when he was less than a year old, and gave me the bottle to take home. So obviously it's no issue. :)

Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/25/02

stillplayswithbarbies
07-22-2004, 03:02 PM
the issue is that the dosage is different. You want to be sure and give the correct amount, and if you have the childrens but give the dosage for the infants, you won't be giving enough medicine.

The other way is more dangerous, as you would be giving too much medicine.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jec2
07-22-2004, 03:07 PM
This is what i was afraid of, that I had been OVER-dosing the poor little bug. Turns out, I wasn't giving him enough, I think (but that Sears site was confusing to me and I'm not a dummy.

Our Dr. suggested that for Motrin to give .5 ml but I don't now recall if that was for the Children's motrin or the Infant Motrin.

egoldber
07-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Are you sure it was .5 ml?

The dosage for a 9-10 pound baby using infant Advil/Motrin is .625 ml.

The dosage for a 17-21 pound baby is 1.875 ml using infant Advil/Motrin (a whole dropper full of infant Advil/Motrin).

The dosage for a 17-21 pound baby using CHILDREN'S Advil/Motrin is 3/4 tsp ( or 3.75ml).

HTH,

jec2
07-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Nope, after I typed that I went and checked what they gave us and it in mg...Why can't they all just use the same measurment? Oh, and thanks for posting the appropriate dosage for each children's and infant drops.

for more than

12 lbs = 5 mg (not ml, oops)
18 lbs = 75 mg
and so on. However, this same sheet that the dr. gave us doesn't say whether it is Infants or Childrens Motrin/Advil. I just assumed it was Infant so that is my I panicked upon seeing that there is both infant & children's and I assumed that the children's would be "stronger" or more concentrated.