PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my dog ready for the baby?

amazz
07-22-2004, 11:01 PM
My dog is very much our baby right now and I know that some of you feel the same way about your pets. I am worried about how she is going to react to the new human baby that will be taking over the house in October. Does anyone have any advice on how to get her ready for the invader? :)

TIA!

Angela
EDD 10/15/04

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-22-2004, 11:29 PM
Angela,
I have three BIG dogs that I had to worry about and it has all worked out GREAT for us. I was in the car heading home 9 hours after delivering so I didn't get to do the famous advice of bringing home a scented item. BUT I absolutely credit the great behavior of my dogs to remaining to treat them with the utmost respect and staying consistent. I NEVER yell at them over the baby as if they have to leave, they are unworthy etc... I really tried hard to not bring up a resentment in them towards Tristan. I do scoot them out the door when he is eating or they beg and he gladly feeds, but outside of that I never discipline them as if I am treating them in a way where I am pitting them against the baby.

I love my dogs dearly and have to say I love them more today than ever...they love my child and it makes me love them even more.
They know Tristan is my world and because they love me they want him to be loved too...

I think I am very lucky to have this situation...
Good luck!!!!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

dr mom
07-22-2004, 11:55 PM
We faced the same situation when DS was born - Anya was used to being the "baby" of the house, and getting all the attention! Several months ahead of time, we started exposing her to babies and young children, and giving her lots of treats and praise for being good. We also invested considerable money and time in obedience training, so that I could rely on her not to jump up on me while I was carrying the baby. We still practice her obedience regularly, and make sure she gets plenty of exercise, because otherwise she turns into the Wild Thing and plays too roughly.

We tried to pay less attention to Anya during my last trimester - well, we said we were going to do that, but I don't know how successful we were. The idea was to get her used to not being the focus of attention BEFORE the baby arrived, so that she didn't resent him for stealing her spotlight.

I did send a baby blanket home from the hospital when DS was born, and had my DH put it next to her bed, to get her used to the new-baby smell.

The day we brought DS home, first DH went in the house and greeted and played with Anya for several minutes, then he came outside and watched DS while *I* went in the house and petted her, and finally DH brought DS inside. I expected jealous fits, but to my surprise, we got super-protective dog instead. She immediately identified DS as a "puppy" needing protection, and for weeks afterward she growled and snapped at anyone who came near him, including my mother. She is still quite protective and will growl if strangers approach DS.

Hope that helps!

-Cindy

mommy_someday
07-23-2004, 12:00 AM
Angela,

I don't really have much of an answer on this one - I am posting to commiserate! My first dog Stella (3yo lab mix) has been my pride and joy since she was 8 wks old - unfortunately she is ROTTEN! I knew she was spoiled, but I didn't realize how badly until we adopted a mini collie/shepard mix, Cleo, in February of this year. They play really well together, but Stella can't stand for me to give Cleo attention - she always has to butt in between us. And if Stella is on the bed with me (said she was spoiled, didn't I?) and Cleo gets up there with us, Stella growls and sometimes bares her teeth. I'm worrying that when DS/DD arrives, that Stella will feel the same way and be a danger to the baby. Both dogs are good with my two nephews (although Stella will be a puppy for a few more years and gets VERY excited, sometimes knocking the boys over), but I'm still worried...

Anyone out there with advice for these two pooch lovers?

TIA,

Erica, EDD 1/18/05 #1

murpheyblue2
07-23-2004, 12:19 AM
I am the owner of two spoiled rotten much beloved pups. We got our second dog about a week before I found out I was pregnant. He was a nervous wreck (skittish breed by nature combined with being a pound pup with a checkered past). We soon found out that he was not good with kids, nipping (fear aggression) at my SIL's toddlers.

Despite this, he is GREAT with DD. I mean really great. He lets DD crawl all over him, pull his tail and hair, stick her fingers in his mouth. It's like he became a new dog when we brought the baby home.

We did the standard things: brought something home from the hospital for them to smell, greeted them first when we got home from the hospital, but I'm not sure that those little things are what does it. Our vet said that dogs rarely reject a baby because he/she is covered in your scent so the dog associates it with you.

The other thing we did was give them time to figure it all out. A baby is a big change for everyone in the family including the dogs. Our lab would come right up to DD and lick her across the face from the minute we brought her home. Our border collie wanted nothing to do with her at first but would follow me around with the baby and lay in the doorway of whatever room we were in. It literally took him months to get within 2 feet of her. I figured that was fine since disinterest was better than aggression. But they've worked things out and now DD and the border collie are buddies. She loves climbing all over him and he's never shown even a hint of aggression or anger with her.

I let the dogs meet DD of their own terms. They were/are able to smell and lick her. They can interact with her which I think builds the relationship between them.

We praise the dogs a lot especially when they let DD climb all over them. We also try not to disrupt their routine too much. We try to incorporate dog friendly activities into our days, going to the beach and taking the dogs, taking them on stroller walks or to the park. I think if they get short shrift they're more likely to change from that friendly pup you love into someone else.

Don't worry too much about it. Dogs just seem to figure it out.

Rikkele
07-23-2004, 12:21 AM
We have 2 beagles who were our "babies" before DD, especially the male who is a real "mama's boy." I was quite worried about him. I did send home a hospital blanket with DH that DD had slept in and he gave it to the dogs to sniff, lay on and sleep with. When we came home, DH carried DD in and I was able to greet my puppies as they had not seen me in 2 days. We put DD in her carrier on our bed and let them sniff her feet (beagles have to sniff EVERYTHING!) and then picked each one up so they could peer into the carrier to get a good look at her. As I expected the male took it much harder and even though I tried to spend some time with him each day, I would say he did go through a period of depression where he would just lay under the bed for hours, something he NEVER did before. Also my parents were here after DD's birth and my dad would spend lots of time with the dogs giving them treats and taking them for walks. He even let them nap with him in the bed - Yikes! - something we never let them do before.
I also try to never yell at the dogs with regard to the baby. Even if their horseplay sometimes wakes her up. I always let them lay at my feet while I sit in the glider and rock/feed her.

Be prepared for some setbacks or even depression. But try to spend a few minutes of "quality time" with the dog each day. My male dog, previously well house trained has started a new trick this week of pooping in the house. Yesterday he pooped on the floor all the way around DD's cradle!! Hmmm... wonder if he was trying to tell us something? LOL! LOVE LOVE LOVE my dogs!

Good luck!

flagger
07-23-2004, 01:01 AM
If this picture is any indication, it all works out fine having dogs and a baby.

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v187/flagger/wherescocoa2.jpg

Please NOTE: Cocoa is in the crate with Fireball. This photo was not staged. It was too quiet in the house, I realised I had not clasped Fireball's crate and having found Cocoa, I had to get the camera.

rrosen
07-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Angela-

I spent so much energy and time fretting about how my dog Bailey (my first born son :-)) would adjust to the baby. That energy was entirely wasted because the transition was smooth and easy! We too did all of the things that PPs mentioned with the greeting, brining home an item etc. Really though (and I may sound like a loon saying this) I think Bailey knew something was up way before the baby came. He was much less 'active' with me (he is a high energy Golden) as I got further into my pregnancy. He would come and put his nose to my belly and lick it too. I believe that they can 'smell' the hormonal changes in us and know something is going to happen. YKWIM?

My parents will forever be horrified that I let my dog lick my newborn on her first day home. But, they are not the dog lovers we are! It was love at first sight for both my daughter and dog. My daughter's first word was doggie!

Bailey learned right away not to touch Gabrielle's toys. If you do not have a "leave it" command I recommend one highly! Gabrielle is learning not to touch his things but, loves his squeaky balls a lot.

We don't let her around the dog when he is eating. Not that he has ever had an issue but, it is not a chance worth taking IMO. He has learned that he can not bother her when she is eating (this took a little work) and knows he can be on cleanup commitee when she is done.;-)

Dogs and kids are great. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Good luck!