PDA

View Full Version : Gestational Diabetes Shower Menu

lmariana
07-27-2004, 09:46 AM
Hi all! I'm throwing a baby shower for my cousin who is pregnant with her second and has Gestational Diabetes. Can anyone who's had this recommend some good food ideas for the shower?

Thanks in advance!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby1/040814/1/3/0/-5/.png[/img] (img)

kransden
07-27-2004, 11:22 AM
If she is on insulin like I was, she needs to talk to her dr. He can tell her how to adjust her dose so she can enjoy herself. Otherwise think Atkins/South Beach Diet -low sugar and carbs. Homemade cocktail meatballs (the store bought ones have too many carbs), ham or tuna salad, veggie trays, stuffed cherry tomatos, olives, pickles, strawberries, blueberries, hummus with pita bread (maybe), mushrooms stuffed with sauage and cream cheese and items sweetened with Splenda. I could go on, but I think you get the idea. :)

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Tondi G
07-27-2004, 02:21 PM
As far as I know high protein/low carb is the way to go

Maybe a deli meats platter.... she can just eat the turkey and such rolled up.... others can build sandwiches!

Vegi platter

chicken wings??? Either spicy buffalo or maybe marinated in teriyaki sprinkled with scallions and sesame seeds

green salads.... watch the dressing (maybe check with your cousin on what is ok)

maybe a caprese platter... sliced tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella and basil.... drizzle with Olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and fresh cracked pepper..... serve with fresh baguette sliced.

Fruit salad

That should get you started! Good Luck

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

cinrein
07-27-2004, 03:03 PM
How sweet of you to think of her!

Nothing to add except that I thoroughly enjoyed my baby shower cake at my shower and I had GD. I noted it on my daily log and when my OB noticed it and said no one is going to say boo about me having cake at my own baby shower. All this to say, please don't do low-sugar desserts. A fruit salad is fine if she doesn't want to splurge. Assuming the shower isn't a suprise, she can adjust what she eats earlier in the day to enjoy a treat at her shower.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

jubilee
07-27-2004, 06:54 PM
My mom is diabetic and for an occasional treat she will have strawberry shortcake (if you are looking for a safe summer-y dessert idea)

hwin708
07-28-2004, 01:56 AM
I threw a shower for a friend with GD. Mainly, the food was pretty normal, because she could still eat things, she just had to be careful not to overdo it, YKWIM?
The only real concession I made was the cake, which I wanted her to be able to fully enjoy, without moderation or worry about pain later. I had several different flavors of cake, one of which was sugar-free. It tasted amazing, just like a regular cake. I scoured the internet to find a local bakery that could do these cakes and were known for their great taste, and I taste tested their sugar free cake before committing. I agree that sugar free deserts can taste nasty, but I actually think it is possible to find a bakery that can make great ones - just do your research...which is what people on this board are good at anyway!

Melanie
07-28-2004, 04:05 AM
HOW WONDERFUL of you to be SO considerate. Not that I'm still bitter that they served Lasagna and cake at mine then gave me trouble when I wouldn't eat the lasagna so I could have a tiny bit of cake. Anyway...moving on.

Low carb is the way to go. That also means low sugar, but what is more important is to watch the carbs. Many low or sugar-free things still have a lot of carbs so there really is no point to them, in my opinion. I was only allowed 30 carbs A DAY. Those go real quick...even fruit has a ton of carbs. I think I could eat 5 grapes and it was 15 carbs. Obviously I went over on shower day, but I really tried very hard to pick and choose where I was using them.

It also depends, as another poster said, if she is diet- or insulin-controlled. I was diet controlled.