PDA

View Full Version : Bad news from Hubby's Work...

lmariana
07-27-2004, 05:39 PM
My husband works for a very small company, 6 people, that his father owns and runs. They have a nice, short 4-day work week, and it's always been a great company. His father (my FIL) founded a really, really large company that went public, but he sold it and started this small one that they all work at now.

Well, today, out of nowhere, the bomb gets dropped. Evidently, they're going down the tubes. They are switching to a 5-day work week effective next week, and if they don't get any new major sales next month...they're all getting cut to half-time, which we all know is two blocks from unemployed. And we can't get by on a half-time salary...

So, that's not good. At least they have enough notice to start checking out new job leads, but I'm just miffed that he couldn't give his own son a "heads-up" about this earlier, you know? x(

My hubby is pretty optimistic though, which is REALLY weird for him- the eternal pessimist. He's been wanting a career change lately, and this might be the right catalyst to get things moving. So we'll be celebrating our last 3-day weekend in style, that's for sure!

Anyone need an electrical engineer or web designer? ;)

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby1/040814/1/3/0/-5/.png[/img] (img)

Marisa6826
07-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Mariana-

I'm sorry to hear this news. Jonathan is in the internet industry and lost his job with the dot com crash. It was a loooong while, but he finally found a permanent job three months after Sophie was born.

Tell Heinz to start checking out monster.com just in case.

hugs

-m

ETA - Jonathan says to check out www.dice.com. It's exclusively for tech jobs. www.hotjobs.com is good, www.nytimes.com is not only for NYC, and above all, Heinz can check with his alumni office of where he went to school.

Good luck!

votre_ami03
07-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Oh Mariana! So sorry. At least your hubby has a good attitude about this! That will help a lot & hopefully he can do what he really want.

Best wishes!

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030722/1/7/2/-7/.png

jbowman
07-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Mariana,

I just wanted to say that I am sorry your family is going through this!

alkagift
07-27-2004, 07:18 PM
I'm so sorry about your DH's work, it's always such a shock, even if you get the head's up! For engineers try Siemens, GE, Georgia Pacific, HP, the big guys. I'll look around for you and see if I can dig anything up!

Hugs to you all!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Sarah1
07-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Well, that isn't great. I'm really glad to hear your DH is keeping a positive attitude, though! Keep us posted!

kathsmom
07-27-2004, 09:31 PM
Mariana,

I am so sorry that your DH is going through this. I know exactly what you are going through. We went through something similar last year. My DH got on the phone the day after he quit his job and networked like crazy (long story short was that the "dream" job he took turned into the biggest nightmare ever and he had only been with the company 2 1/2 months). He was on the phone so much that DD (who was 6 1/2 at the time) complained that he talked on the phone more than I did!LOL!

Please feel free to e-mail me and I will send you my phone number if you would like to talk.

Take care!

pritchettzoo
07-27-2004, 11:04 PM
That bites. Good luck to him finding a new job. Grr at FIL!

Anna

kitmama
07-27-2004, 11:31 PM
Eew, that's rough! I'm so sorry. . . best of luck as he looks for his new job, and kudos to him for keeping a good attitude about it. Something is bound to turn up. If I hear of anything, I will pass it on to you.

starrynight
07-28-2004, 02:12 AM
That stinks :(. I hope he finds something quick or at least that work picks up and he can stay full time.