PDA

View Full Version : Tips on how to keep cut fruit fresh?

cdlamis
07-27-2004, 08:32 PM
I will probably win for most boring post of the week! :)
But I know someone here knows the answer. I really am too dependent on you guys. :)

I am really trying to eat more fruit and hate seeing all my fruit go bad each week since I don't eat it. So... I came up with the idea of washing and cutting up fresh fruit at the beginning of each week and making my own fruit tray. Like cantaloupe, strawberries, pineapple, etc.
Can this be done? How long can cut fruit (like the cantaloupe) last if I put it in an airtight container? Any tips?

TIA~

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
And baby #2 EDD 12-30-04!!

llcoddington
07-27-2004, 08:48 PM
If I cut fruit up ahead of time, I squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice over it. This seems to keep it a bit fresher longer.

I have read that fruit will last longer in the refrigerator if it is not washed ahead of time. So, I wash right before I am about to eat.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

egoldber
07-27-2004, 09:47 PM
I have the best luck with grapes, blueberries and melon. They keep many, many days (as long as the melon wasn't almost overripe to begin with). Things like strawberriees I have much less luck with.

HTH,

NoAngel
07-28-2004, 01:03 AM
I've never used it, but I understand that ascorbic acid (sold in powder form) is good for preventing fruits and vegetables from browning. I would think it might help extend the life of cut fruit, also.

I did a Google search on "ascorbic acid and fruit preservation" and found the an article from Michigan State University Extension which seems pretty informative:

http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod01/01600512.html

While searching, I also came across a pretty cool sounding gadget called the Fruit Saver which, it's claimed, will extend the life of fruit and vegetables. Unfortunately, it's not inexpensive - about $70 right now. Here's the link:

http://www.fruit-saver.com

Alternately, you may want to get a FoodSaver (I've got one & love it!). It's mostly good for freezing fruit & veggies. The only fruit that the manufacturer recommends storing in the fridge is berries - in a FoodSaver cannister.

Hope this helps!

August Mom
07-28-2004, 01:11 AM
The Tupperware Fridge Smart containers really do help. They have vents on the front that you can adjust depending on the contents. There is a chart telling you whether to have both vents open, both closed or one open and one closed.

Also, for most fruits, you shouldn't wash them ahead of time. This is especially true for berries. Melon is generally fine to cut up and store.

MelissaTC
07-28-2004, 11:03 AM
I second the Fridge Smart line from Tupperware. It keeps fruits and vegetables fresh longer. QVC carries some Tupperware items and you may be able to catch a deal on them. While they are expensive, I think it is totally worth the money because of what you save by not wasting your produce.

californiamom
07-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Ascorbic Acid is also Vitamin C, so you'd get the benefits from this vitamin as well if you go this route!

Ana