PDA

View Full Version : Accommodations in Portland, Maine?

divabell
07-27-2004, 09:53 PM
DH and I want a quick getaway w/ DS and we can't find anyplace that meets the following criteria:

--centrally located (could walk to shops/restaurants/port area)
--kid-friendly (most B&B's don't accept kids that young)
--not going to cost a fortune (prefer to keep it under $130/night)

Can anyone help? Thank you!

jasabo
07-27-2004, 10:23 PM
I went to school in Portland, and while I haven't been back for about 2 yrs, I can't imagine it's changed too much since then. The Old Port area is fairly small, and I don't remember too many hotels within walking distance of everything.

The Portland Regency is right in the middle of it all and a beautiful hotel. Not sure about prices though. We stopped in to check it out when we thought dh's parents were coming to visit, and it was beautiful. They never stayed there though, so not sure about service, etc.

I just found this site that has a good list of the hotels in the area.

http://visitportland.com.twmaine.com/accommodationssp.aspx?za=1

If you want walking distance to Old Port, chose from the ones on this list. Don't stay near the mall or airport, which are pretty far from Old Port. There are some really great restaurants in Old Port - I still miss Margaritas, which had the BEST margaritas and really good food too. Oh, and try Granny's Burritos - they have AMAZING burritos - I used to joke that Granny's is one of the reasons I decided to go to school in Maine. I want to say it's on High Street, but I might be wrong. It's near the water. And of course there's seafood everywhere :) Old Port is a really beautiful area. August might be a little warm, and many stores aren't air conditioned, so be prepared. It's not too bad though.

Have a great time!
Lisa - mom to 1 yr old twin boys

ktdid74
07-27-2004, 10:32 PM
Hi Lori-
well, I have the Portland phone book sitting in front of me (I live right outside of Portland) and I don't see a whole lot of options that fit the bill. There are some pricey looking hotels- most of the "suite" hotels are in South Portland. I so rarely- almost never :( - go down to the Old Port so I don't even know any cool secret places. So, here are a few places that look respectable :) and are within walking distance--

The Eastland Park 1-888-671-8008 eastlandparkhotel.com
Portland Regency Hotel 1-800-727-3436 theregency.com
Portland Harbor Hotel 1-888-798-9090 portlandharborhotel.com
this one looks like $$$$

If you're driving up, I would recommend staying at one of the Suite Hotels in S. Portland or Scarborough and then driving to the Old Port- takes <10 minutes. Hope you have a good time!

slknight
07-28-2004, 12:40 AM
Katie's right; I really don't think you're going to find anything in the Old Port for that price at this time of year. :( I also think you should stay out by the mall and drive in. There's a parking garage next to the Ferry Terminal (by Flatbreads Pizza) where you can usually find a spot. Also, (you may already know this), but most of those stores are NOT stroller friendly.

But, if you really want to stay in the Old Port, a Hilton Garden Inn just opened on Commercial Street. A quick skim of the rates looks like it's running about $200.

65 Commercial Street, Portland, ME 04101
Tel: 1-207-780-0780 Fax: 1-207-780-0781

What about the Holiday Inn? It's a little bit of a longer walk (it's right near the Civic Center), but is more reasonable. Looks like the lowest rate a few weeks from now is $141.95, although you might have to pay for parking.

88 SPRING ST
PORTLAND, ME 04101
UNITED STATES
Local Phone: 1-207-7752311

divabell
07-28-2004, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions--at least I know I haven't overlooked something!

Good to know about the shops not being stroller friendly. Hrmph. Maybe we need to pass on Portland for now and try somewhere else... at least in New England there are lots of nice areas within driving distance. :) I appreciate all the advice, though!

slknight
07-28-2004, 12:16 PM
The problem with the stores in the Old Port is that they are old renovated warehouses from the 18th Century (I think). So each store has a couple of granite steps that you have to go up to get into it. I did go with a stroller last winter. My sister was with me, so she helped me carry the stroller up the steps. But there's no way I could have done it by myself. The stores themselves are also very cramped. I kind of had to park the stroller in one spot and walk around looking at things. I also brought my Mac Techno. A larger stroller definitely would not fit. HTH.

FWIW, I think there are plenty of stroller-unfriendly stores in lots of other cities. Any place that is a revitalized historic district is a problem.